~ Thornton a Shark!!! ~

~moeman

Weird. Obviously Boston loses, but IMO O'Connell/Sinden made this deal years ago when they first gave Thornton the C. They ruined him with all kinds of unrealistic expectations, and he should be thanking his lucky stars to be on his way to Cali, now he can become the player he was meant to become.

Stuart is key to the trade for Boston. Their D has been in shambles this year, both Gill and Alberts have sucked big time.

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by redondo]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by simonus

well, the bruins cut 1.6 mil off their payroll and now have 3 positions filled.

wouldnt be surprised if they go for another deal...

btw - this might be stupid, but are scott and joe thornton related?

cousins. Their fathers are brothers or something.

exactly ... The bruins are going to do more with these guys.. FOR SURE... hey I wouldnt be surprised we end up with someone ... waivers are up and coming again with more of this movement Keep it coming!!

Now all they have to do is trade McCauley to Chicago for Shawn Thornton and they'll have the most amazing player in the world.

"Thornton comes down the wing, throws it into the corner. Thornton checks fiercely, throws the puck out to the slot where Thornton one times it and SCOOOORES!"

It would sound like a one-man wrecking crew!!!

(Scott) Thornton - (Joe) Thornton - (Shawn) Thornton

Cue any Slap Shot jokes

The Bruins weren't going anywhere this season anyway. That D is horrific... Stuart automatically becomes their #1.

(Still, I would have expected Boston to get 2 D men and 2 forwards for Thornton... not like SJ doesn't have any D men to trade.)

I was watching Law and Order last night, and since I live in eastern canada, after it they had the news and it was a breaking story about the Boston-SJ trade.

You know what that news tv guy said... he said Thorton never lived up to expectations...EXPECTATIONS!

I always jumped through the TV to kill him, but then I got lazy and didn't do it, but it was in such bad taste to say that, after Thorton played through the rib injuries against Montreal in the playoffs.

Smac

Poor trade smacking of desperation here. O'Connell is going to be fired soon..unless the club makes the playoffs. It's pretty obvious that ownership still expects success, or they would've sent him out for a prospect package and some dead weight salary.

Watching TSN and the somewhat reliable Bob McKenzie says the GM's he talked to were even unaware that Thornton was being talked about. Strange way to move a superstar, not even shop him around.

Poor trade smacking of desperation here. O'Connell is going to be fired soon..unless the club makes the playoffs. It's pretty obvious that ownership still expects success, or they would've sent him out for a prospect package and some dead weight salary.

Watching TSN and the somewhat reliable Bob McKenzie says the GM's he talked to were even unaware that Thornton was being talked about. Strange way to move a superstar, not even shop him around.

Originally posted by bar

I was watching Law and Order last night, and since I live in eastern canada, after it they had the news and it was a breaking story about the Boston-SJ trade.

You know what that news tv guy said... he said Thorton never lived up to expectations...EXPECTATIONS!

I always jumped through the TV to kill him, but then I got lazy and didn't do it, but it was in such bad taste to say that, after Thorton played through the rib injuries against Montreal in the playoffs.

Smac

Sorry bar, I'm inclined to disagree. Saku had a broken rib and a punctured lung in last year's playoffs, a much worse injury than Big Overrated had. But nobody made excuses for him, and he went out and scored 10 points in 11 playoff games. Big Overrated? 0 points, -7 in 7 playoff games, while his coaches and teammates made excuse after excuse for him and tried to make him into a marytr. If you're healthy enough to strap on the skates in the playoffs, you'd better produce more than a donut and a -7.

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by option+]

"I think most people would say they are surprised that the Bruins did not get a number one centre coming back in the deal. They got a very good defenceman in Brad Stuart and a good winger in Marco Sturm and they got a good utility player in Wayne Primeau but they don't have a number one centre on their team. Alexi Zhamnov might be the number one centre now with zero goals in nine games." - Bob McKenzie

http://tinyurl.com/9fjax

Bob McKenzie summed up how I look at the trade. Joe Thorton on a good team is really going to play havoc against other teams. All of us Canadien fans can say Montreal owned him in the playoffs, but look at Boston's second or third lines. They were all right just not dominant. Boston lost this trade and since it looks like cost cutting to me, is Murray or Samsonov next?

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by Howie_Morenz]

The Bruins really did not want to give Thornton the kind of money they gave him. If you followed the negotiations this summer, they were extremely relunctant to offer up the money.

When it was clear that this was Thornton's market price, they decided to half-heartedly take a chance that he was going to finally make them win. They were not winning and quickly decided again that they really didn't want to be paying 6.6M for a player.

Hockey wise, bad bad trade for the Bruins. They got good players back, but by far gave up the best player. There were other ways of getting a good dman and good top 6 winger....didn't have to give up Thornton....they wanted to give up Thornton.

This is not the GM. This is the ownership. I feel sorry for Bruins fans. That organization sucks!

it all depends on the next B trade (there WILL be at least one, and soon).

If samsonov (my bet) or murray gets moved for a prospect/draft pick batch, then get ready, this will be raycroft/bergeron's team and every expensive, older player is going to be moved ala glen sathers' reconstruction of the rangers (which actually seems to have worked out well).

If there are some more lateral moves, or maybe the Bs put together some sort of draft/prospect package for a stronger player then they are still at least dreaming about being a competitive team.

Originally posted by simonus

it all depends on the next B trade (there WILL be at least one, and soon).

If samsonov (my bet) or murray gets moved for a prospect/draft pick batch, then get ready, this will be raycroft/bergeron's team and every expensive, older player is going to be moved ala glen sathers' reconstruction of the rangers (which actually seems to have worked out well).

If there are some more lateral moves, or maybe the Bs put together some sort of draft/prospect package for a stronger player then they are still at least dreaming about being a competitive team.

Good point about the Rangers. I cannot stand Glen Sather and his band of spenders, but I will give him credit for cleaning house before the lockout. Rangers look good right now, but I will reserve judgement on how good they are until Feb. at the earliest. I was so overconfident that Montreal was as good as the record and now I have a big EGG on my face.:o

Thorton will do well on the sharks as they have offensive depth and the West really likes free wheeling hockey. He should do well.

Mike O'Connell - give me a break. Getting Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau is significant but now the Tanabe for Scatchard deal looks ######ed. They could use Scatchard now. This makes Tanabe look like a bandaid solution...and for a week only? Now they are over inflated at the D position. Goodbye Joe. O'Connell equals Mr. Potatohead. Bruins are headin' for RUINS - AGAIN!

When consulted (poll) the bruins fans voted total over 80% either considering the bruins did not make a good deal or Still in Shock! only 8% said it was a good deal and 10% too early to tell... ;)

LOL gotta love these teddy bears!

I haven't tought about this trade since today.

WHAT?! Boston traded their franschise player Joe Thornton? The best Ontario-player in the NHL? The B's C? The 1st round pick in 1997 overall? An All-star? A guy that has scored a 100 points in one eason?

For what?

Brad Stuart - A top four defenceman, with some potential.

Wayne Primeau - A injury prone third line center

Marco Sturm - A german second line winger.

Imagine if Gainey had traded Saku Koivu for this trio. What would have happened in Montreal? Bloodbath?

Maybe both teams will benefit from this trade this season. But I'm pretty sure the Bruins just traded their franschise player away and will have to wait another 15 years for a new one.

No matter how much I dislike the Bruins I still know Joe Thornton is one of the leauges best players and they got a three good players in return. Poor Bruins fans...

The thing is, I think O'Connell just shot the golden goose. In the past few years, many of the Bruins players looked better then they really were because they were on Joe Thornton's line. Mike Knuble is the prime example, Murray to a point also. So all O'Connell had to do to get a good deal for a player is showcase him on Joe's line and his stats would go up. He doesn't have a player who does that with his teammates anymore so it may be the beginning of the end....

On top of that, I'm cusious to see which free agent is going to want to sign with the Bruins now?