Andrei Kostitsyn called up!

habscout

When I first read the title I thought "YES!!!!" but then I read that Koivu has a groin injury. And just when things couldn't get any worse.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, no kidding.

As for Kost, I agree wholeheartedly with some previous posters. If he's gonna play a couple of minutes max., why not call up a grinder like Murray or some toughness in Vandermeer.

I don't think the coaches like Vandermeer very much at all - or else he'd have been called up when Ivanans got smoked by Chara.

Good move...habs need spark and Kosty needs opportunity...just about the best move made to date by either Julien or Gainey...

Consistency is needed. Set the lines. Let them play for 5 games and see what happens...too much juggling...We'll be much better with Souray in the lineup and when we get Koivu, Kovy and K-Rex back in the lineup..

til then...hold on....

This is great news, aside from the fact that Koivu isn't playing, but I honestly hope that Julien gives the rooks, including Kostitsyn, lots of ice time. I'm hoping that he plays so well that Julien is forced to keep him up and either trade Dags for a bag of pucks or to waive him.

Originally posted by Habiman

Good move...habs need spark and Kosty needs opportunity...just about the best move made to date by either Julien or Gainey...

Consistency is needed. Set the lines. Let them play for 5 games and see what happens...too much juggling...We'll be much better with Souray in the lineup and when we get Koivu, Kovy and K-Rex back in the lineup..

til then...hold on....

Don't forget Markov too:ghg:

What a strange trip we're on right now. Lots of injuries to MAJOR players and other personal stuff affecting other players.

In some respects, it's better to have it happen now as compared to near the end of the year or going into the playoffs - that doesn't mean that it can't happen then too.

As to the rookies (and Dagenais, for that matter)... I hope that they will be able to show what they can do. I hope the rookies will be given all the opportunities that they need. I hope that Dagenais will take this stick and run with it. For the sake of this string, I hope that Kostsitsyn will show that he belongs and does what he can to make it almost impossible for him to be sent back down.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

If you never practice with a team (let's not forget that his English is still sub-par) it's almost impossible to jump on the ice and know what you're doing... Yeah, it would've been nice to see Kostitsyn get some good minutes in but hopefully after a couple practices Friday and Saturday he'll get a sense of the system (or lack thereof) and get a few more opportunities againt LA. Assuming of course that Koivu is still out.

That being said though, if the rookies who are already in the line-up are rarely getting played, his chances of getting ample time to showcase his skills are negligible... especially after an early 'blunder'... Go Claude!

I'm sure this is the "chance" Kostitsyn was waiting for.

1 shift and :39 seconds of ice time. Maybe it was Jarvis' idea, he did the same thing to him in the AHL last season as well.:nono:

He did have better seats then any of us can get though.:/)

if your vets can't or won't do it then why not play Kostitsyn?

this kid is goood so are a lot of the other bulldogs give them a chance to see what they can do we had no real expectation of winning the game with that many regulars out so experiment! not 1 shift

39 seconds, thats not like even Half a chance. CJ makes me more and more dissapointed.

Perezh: 7+ mins

Higgins just 12, only Pleks had some more icetime. Common' you miss 2 first liners. Give the guys that play well some more time. I dunno what CJ is doing, but it must be me. (ok i will sit in the corner)

Originally posted by sakiqc

I'm really sad as well. I mean, one single shift? You gotta be kidding! That's a first NHL game he'll remember for a long time. I thought we had more class than that.

I have to agree with you, thought we had more class.

I'm angry too... yes Kostitsyn is green and never practiced with the team. He was also the most skilled offensive player we had out there last night. 0:39 is disappointing and unacceptable.

And what does Perezhogin have to do to get more playing time? I would have though his performance against the Leafs would have been good enough to get him a solid run in the team for at least 5 games. Nope. Evidentally you have to score a hat-trick every time out if you want to play as a rookie for Claude Julien.

If this is the way it's going to be, I'm very glad we sent Latendresse back to junior.

Originally posted by ap79

Maybe 0:39 is all the Habs wanted to call up Kost for. Just to give him a teaser of what the NHL is about, on and OFF the ice. Might give the kid added motivation to perform.

I agree that was the plan. Based on his AHL performance, he didn't really deserve the call. Give him a taste, send him back down and hope he shows some hunger for more.

Also, I don't get what the comments about 'class' are referring to. Julien's job is to do his best to win hockey games, not to give a rookie an opening night to remember. We can question his tactics, but this particular decision not reflect upon how much class he has.

You also have to remember that he was called up mid day, probably only landed in Montreal around 3pm or so.... Not exactly lots of time to get settled, and ready for the game....

Also, as noted, without having practiced with the team, he probably would have been more of a liability than an asset....

My guess, is that if Koivu misses the game on saturday, AK will be seeing closer to 9 minutes of action....Let's just hope he has the linemates to do something with it!

CJ did good!!! I'm sure He must have asked AK 47 if he was at ease and he said YES Im ready to go and Perez translated "Coach he says "DA" YEs! he's scared shitless he cant feel his legs ... and he also says I should play for him! :)

AK47 will get his chance saturday I'm sure CJ was more worried about not getting the kid injured his first game can't blame CJ for me being a little over protective with the teams luck! wouldnt surprise me the call came from BG!