Canadiens vs Jets 8:00(EST) Mar 15 2021

Trizzak

Carey's 700th game a win ... good game by Carey ... good job for him by the boys

EDIT: Kudos to Danault for a good game, especially given how an unknown injury impacted him last game ...  

Drouin with a real PRO product placement ... takes a swig from his Gatorade and puts it down with the label forward

WEIRD first question to Kulak ... what did you think of Romanov's game

Unlike Julien, Ducharme doesn't enter the presser after a win with a big smile and with a frown after a loss.

I know we don’t like +\- as a stat but Edmundson is +26 while the second best player on the Habs is +15. I am a aware that he hasn’t been asked to cover the other team’s best players as much as Weber and Chiarot had been. This stat may become worse in a bigger role, but I have no problem with him playing a larger role than he has. With Chiarot out, he is going to have to.

5 hours ago, Neech said:

I'm not sure Ouellet is the answer... I can understand where Mete is coming from asking for a trade, his leash is ridiculously short while Romanov makes numerous errors each game and has gotten something of the royalty treatment.  Now I think that Romanov is a better prospect of course, but their respective performances haven't been that far apart.

With all respect, I’m not sure that we are watching the same players if you think that Mete’s and Romanov’s performances have been similar. Romanov is a better passer, more physical and has better hockey sense. He is also a rookie and Mete has over a hundred games played. Mere has played himself into a strictly temporary emergency replacement. I was hoping for more from him but I believe the Canadiens rushed him to the NHL and screwed up his development. It’s too bad. I had high hopes for him, but Romanov is playing ahead of him on merit not potential 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

was it on the Halack playoff that Suban came in?

Yeah, I think it was during the Philly series.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A huge win to staunch the bleeding and make a restoration of optimism possible.

We need a string of efforts like that.

Yes

Are we going to go max effort again on Wednesday or will we be back to slow and flat? 

I hope this is the start of a good winning streak. There was lots to like last night and we need to carry it forward. 

Im liking Edmundson with Weber. Edmundson is calmer and just quietly does his job. Chairot is far more chaotic 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yes

Are we going to go max effort again on Wednesday or will we be back to slow and flat? 

I hope this is the start of a good winning streak. There was lots to like last night and we need to carry it forward. 

Im liking Edmundson with Weber. Edmundson is calmer and just quietly does his job. Chairot is far more chaotic 

On the Edmundson controversy: I didn’t care for the acquisition, because as a rule I think MB is too fond of big, tough, plodding D-men. *However* Edmundson has won me over with what seems to be quietly capable, steady-Eddie play, night-in, night-out. But is he a guy who can play major minutes in key situations with Weber? I doubt it. The likeliest scenario is that he will become “exposed” by overuse. Which, come to think of it, is also what has happened to Old Man Weber this season.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we end up with a rotation next to Weber. Guys can play above their heads for short periods of time, but not on a nightly basis.

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

On the Edmundson controversy: I didn’t care for the acquisition, because as a rule I think MB is too fond of big, tough, plodding D-men. *However* Edmundson has won me over with what seems to be quietly capable, steady-Eddie play, night-in, night-out. But is he a guy who can play major minutes in key situations with Weber? I doubt it. The likeliest scenario is that he will become “exposed” by overuse. Which, come to think of it, is also what has happened to Old Man Weber this season.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we end up with a rotation next to Weber. Guys can play above their heads for short periods of time, but not on a nightly basis.

One of the few qualities Edmundson has is the ability to play a lot of minutes. If that is your only concern, it should turnout ok:

image.png

I wouldn't call averaging over 20 minutes a game, once in his NHL career (and it was 4 seasons ago) being able to handle lots of minutes. 

If all 6 defencemen play equal ice time, they would all play 20 minutes each, so any defenceman under 20 minutes is playing a below average number of minutes. 

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Is Ouellet better than Mete or is it only the difference in size ?

Ouellet has not hurt the Habs in this game 

I think he is better all-round and agree he kept it simple and played fine yesterday, hope he draws in again tomorrow.

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, what are we saying - that Edmundson is a top-pairing guy? Surely that is not a proposition anyone on planet earth would have agreed with before last night.

I am saying that he can handle more minutes than Mete, Kulak, Ouellet and Romanov (for now) without that affecting how effective he is.

No, he is not a top 4 defenseman, a 5th on a loaded team, a 4th on this team

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, what are we saying - that Edmundson is a top-pairing guy?

Habs #1 d-man even strength is Petry (same as last 2 years) and he inst playing with him, so 2nd pairing with Weber is fine for now.

13 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

He truly has been a workhorse and a great goalie for us over the years. Most of these Seasons with a average or not very good team in-front of him.. 

image.png

image.png

Agreed ... but the concern (as was undoubtedly the case with the others) is that in the last three seasons, and so far for this season overall, he has been nowhere near that average ... except for 2018/19 when he was two saves ( .918 Sv% ) over the average

26 minutes ago, DON said:

Habs #1 d-man even strength is Petry (same as last 2 years) and he inst playing with him, so 2nd pairing with Weber is fine for now.

Exactly. Second pairing with Weber, about 20 minutes/game. Petry and Kulak for 20+ (how much can Kulak handle? I think that remains to be seen) and Romanov/TBD for the remainder.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Ouellet is terrible. 

That may be, but based on recent performance he is much less terrible than Mete.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm okay with Edmondson if we have Petry, Weber and two better defensemen ahead of him (hopefully Romanov will be a solid top 4 soon - he isn't yet). I think Edmondson makes a great third pairing dman. What i don't like is having Edmondson and Chariot in the top 4.

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm okay with Edmondson if we have Petry, Weber and two better defensemen ahead of him (hopefully Romanov will be a solid top 4 soon - he isn't yet). I think Edmondson makes a great third pairing dman. What i don't like is having Edmondson and Chariot in the top 4.

Hopefully we can get to that point yet, maybe with Romanov and Norlinder. But D-men develop slowly, so Edmondson will likely not make a sudden drop to the third pair.

In the meantime, I thought he was very much a steadying influence on Weber given our current defence crew.