Canadiens vs Jets 8:00(EST) Mar 15 2021

Trizzak

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m hoping we see Fleury once we are back in Montreal. Fleury and Romanov would be an excellent pair. Even if they are young and will make mistakes 

I completely agree ... but Fleury could/would solidify the 3rd pairing ... it does nothing to solve the LHD situation

I’m hoping we see Fleury once we are back in Montreal. Fleury and Romanov would be an excellent pair. Even if they are young and will make mistakes 

I like Fleury, but just not sure which 3rd pairing is least ugly in their own end.

50 minutes ago, DON said:

I like Fleury, but just not sure which 3rd pairing is least ugly in their own end.

I see Fleury and Romanov as works in Progress but they both have excellent mobility, both can carry the puck, both hit hard - Fleury still takes himself out of the play to land hits while Romanov doesn’t so work to do but they both have never ending energy and compete levels. 

Neither are offensive stars but they both have offensive flair 

I see Fleury and Romanov as works in Progress but they both have excellent mobility, both can carry the puck, both hit hard - Fleury still takes himself out of the play to land hits while Romanov doesn’t so work to do but they both have never ending energy and compete levels. 

Neither are offensive stars but they both have offensive flair 

I dunno, i would much prefer to see a vet on the 3rd pair with Romanov (and a solid 4th line vet centre rental might be good add also)

3 minutes ago, DON said:

I dunno, i would much prefer to see a vet on the 3rd pair with Romanov (and a solid 4th line vet centre rental might be good add also)

I think the thought is that Fleury would be better than Mete or Ouellette on the third pairing and the move can be made without what having to do what MB essentially described as the near impossible ... make a trade.

BTW - I don't see trades as impossible, and don't think that MB does either, just even more complex than previously 

22 hours ago, Neech said:

Bad start to the 3rd for Edmundson, a few errant passes and now a penalty.  I don't know how anyone would think he's a suitable partner for Weber.

I don't think anyone would really say he's the suitable partner.  But with Romanov not really ready, Kulak not doing well with anyone not named Petry, Mete falling off a cliff, and Ouellet being, well, Ouellet, he may be the best option in the short term even if the fit isn't ideal.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, what are we saying - that Edmundson is a top-pairing guy? Surely that is not a proposition anyone on planet earth would have agreed with before last night.

In a perfect world, he's a #5 where the ~18 minute average is ideal relative to the role.  In St. Louis, he would get exposed when moved into the top-four with regularity but to his credit, that hasn't happened a ton.  Toronto gives him fits with their speed but he has more than held his own in the top-four otherwise.

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I'm somewhat expecting that as well.  Ouellet getting the pre-trip recall made sense in that no one cared if he sat and the Habs know he can give them 12-14 serviceable minutes a game if they needed to use him.  But with more recall options coming later this week once they get back home, that would be the logical time to try Fleury although he's not having the best of seasons so far.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

[...] once they get back home, that would be the logical time to try Fleury although he's not having the best of seasons so far.

Can you elaborate a bit, I have not followed Laval that closely, and the times I have watched he hasn't stod out in a negative way... which I took as a good sign

Also, is Leskinen a viable candidate for a 3LD call-up? He didn't particularly impress in his stint with the Habs last year but at least his play in Laval looks much improved this year. And he does shoot on the left.

51 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Can you elaborate a bit, I have not followed Laval that closely, and the times I have watched he hasn't stod out in a negative way... which I took as a good sign

That's sort of the point.  Fleury is in his third season and seeing a lot of top-four minutes.  He needs to be more than just there.  He isn't screwing up much but he isn't doing a whole lot either.  He needs to be making an impact and he hasn't most nights.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Also, is Leskinen a viable candidate for a 3LD call-up? He didn't particularly impress in his stint with the Habs last year but at least his play in Laval looks much improved this year. And he does shoot on the left.

He has been better but I don't think he's a fit.  Assuming they don't need someone with Petry (either Kulak stays there or Edmundson goes down), that leaves two options.  He's nowhere near ready to play big minutes with Weber and asking him to play with Romanov or Mete on the third pairing is asking for trouble as he's still not great in his own end.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He has been better but I don't think he's a fit.  Assuming they don't need someone with Petry (either Kulak stays there or Edmundson goes down), that leaves two options.  He's nowhere near ready to play big minutes with Weber and asking him to play with Romanov or Mete on the third pairing is asking for trouble as he's still not great in his own end.

Thanks, appreciate the assessment. So, really, we are still left with

Kulak-Petry (hope Kulak can handle the minutes)

Edmundson-Weber

TBD-Romanov

For TBD, none of Mete, Ouellet, Fleury or Leskinen are really an ideal fit. And I don't think Romanov is ready for the first or second pair. But having tried Mete and Ouellet, maybe they will give Fleury a shot at this.