Canadiens vs Jets 9:00pm Mar 17 2021

Trizzak

I ask you - for all we analyze the team, if we were 3-2 in OT rather than 0-5 the standings would look different.

It’s just a mental block at this point.

Tremendous effort in the 3rd to tie the game. That was really something; they just would not be denied, and showed what kind of team they can be. Unfortunately, it all went to crap the minute we hit OT. Absolutely bizarre.

Still, we got the loser point in a gutsy comeback at the end of a road trip. We probably shouldn’t be too grouchy.

BTW, Corey Perry is an important piece on this club. Strange to say it.

Stop galaxy braining the OT period. You'd need a combination of 9 Byron and Danault on the ice to equal Toffoli's goal output so far. Why are the guys tied for 11th for goals on this team on the ice first? Play your best ####ing guys, god damn. 

37 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Stop galaxy braining the OT period. You'd need a combination of 9 Byron and Danault on the ice to equal Toffoli's goal output so far. Why are the guys tied for 11th for goals on this team on the ice first? Play your best ####ing guys, god damn. 

Like I said earlier.  Need to trade Byron to save DD from himself and prevent Byron from him becoming DD’s Weal, Darche, or Weisse.

9 minutes ago, brobin said:

Ignoring the loser point, we are below .500.  So halfway through the season we are not that much better then last year... but more scoring, price playing worse...

Why would we ignore the loser point, but count 3-on-3 OT, which is, let’s face it, complete BS?

We’re in a playoff spot with room to improve, that’s all I really care about.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Why would we ignore the loser point, but count 3-on-3 OT, which is, let’s face it, complete BS?

We’re in a playoff spot with room to improve, that’s all I really care about.

The issue I see is that we can only improve slightly offensively - GF has been pretty good. We can also improve overall defensive play - which may impact the offense, but it should definitely be doable. The problem is the actual makeup of the D.  I can’t see that improving much without a major move. Weber looks like he’s be better being casted in no country for old men, than mountain man. Petry is doing about as well as can be expected and is probably exceeding career performance.  Everybody else on D is playing one or two spots higher in the lineup than they should be.  We need an additional legit top pairing dman.  I don’t want to even consider rushing Romanov into that role - he isn’t a Maker or Hughes hat can step into that type of role right away.

What is demoralizing for me is Hellbucks makes a huge save in OT, puck comes down the ice on a bad change and Price just can’t make that big save. 

Again and again we do not send power in OT. Why not start out leading scorers? 

Weber is awful. 

Huge guts to tie the game though

On 3/6/2021 at 11:24 PM, Trizzak said:

6 game road trip now (2 vs Vancouver, 2 vs Calgary, 2 vs Winnipeg.) I'll be happy if they take 2 points from each series, honestly.

And that's basically where we ended up, with six points. Three from Vancouver, zero from Calgary and three more from Winnipeg. Two wins, two OT/SO losses and two regulation losses (by one and two goals).

I would have liked to have done better, but this is still something to build on.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What is demoralizing for me is Hellbucks makes a huge save in OT, puck comes down the ice on a bad change and Price just can’t make that big save. 

Again and again we do not send power in OT. Why not start out leading scorers? 

Weber is awful. 

Huge guts to tie the game though

why blame Weber for the OT loss:

1. He was not on the ice 

2. He was not guilty of costly turnovers (that I remember)

How come Petry gets all the love but none of the hate for this loss?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

why blame Weber for the OT loss:

1. He was not on the ice 

2. He was not guilty of costly turnovers (that I remember)

How come Petry gets all the love but none of the hate for this loss?

Weber was awful all game long. He wasn’t in OT because we didn’t last long enough! We are 0 and 8 in OT

We have a prorated 50 goal scorer and 36 goal scorer. Perhaps I’m nuts but maybe just maybe they are able to score in OT as well? 

21 minutes ago, DON said:

13W out of 29gms, ugly.

Loved the comeback but...

In the olden days, before regular-season OT, it would be 13-8 with eight ties. Not great, but not THAT ugly. We are not out of it by any stretch, it all depends on how they play from here on out.

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Like I said earlier.  Need to trade Byron to save DD from himself and prevent Byron from him becoming DD’s Weal, Darche, or Weisse.

Been saying the same of Byron for a while. Not sure what Byron has on GM to keep him with the team. Also, why is he out there with giveaway Petry.  Gotta love Petry in regular time, but has been a disaster in OT for years. I am no expert on hockey, just love watching, but even I have seen the mess Petry creates in OT. Once in 10 or so rushes he will score, and IMO he causes a goal against in about 3 of 10. Again just my guess... As noted by others, what a comeback - we would not have seen that in recent years and you may have well just off the tv. Now I love to watch. Go Habs Go.

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The issue I see is that we can only improve slightly offensively - GF has been pretty good. We can also improve overall defensive play - which may impact the offense, but it should definitely be doable. The problem is the actual makeup of the D.  I can’t see that improving much without a major move. Weber looks like he’s be better being casted in no country for old men, than mountain man. Petry is doing about as well as can be expected and is probably exceeding career performance.  Everybody else on D is playing one or two spots higher in the lineup than they should be.  We need an additional legit top pairing dman.  I don’t want to even consider rushing Romanov into that role - he isn’t a Maker or Hughes hat can step into that type of role right away.

In fact, I agree with you. The reason the Habs lost this game was not OT - a baffling and, at this point, largely psychological issue having little to do with either coaching or talent. Rather it was some hapless play in the D-zone which got them down by two goals in the first place. Poor puck management, not-quite-accurate passes to the forwards, confusion in coverage, and being just too slow at times. 

Oulette is a buffoon. If a team is only as strong as its weakest link, then we’re in trouble, because he sucks. Romanov, who is an excellent talent but still finding his way, should be sheltered by a savvy veteran, not saddled with a non-NHLer like Oulette. The decline of Weber, meanwhile, continues to ramify, game-in and game-out. Kulak had a good game and Petry is in Norris-land, but both are capable of clunky plays in their own end. D is a problem and will continue to be a problem.

That's what happens when 3 dmen are not in the right chair. 

None of the LD has anything to do in their respective spot.  Even with Chiarot healthy it is so.  Everyone of them is 1 step higher than he's supposed to.

Bergevin hasn't done shit to get a #1 LD since Markov is gone. 

Oh, my bad, he drafted one.  And traded him to Tampa Bay.

The good news is that Tatar/Danault/Gally showed real signs of life last night. In fact, they were excellent. The key will be to *build* on that, because past improvement from that trio this season has tended to be a blip rather than a trend. 

Also good news is that Price seems to have rounded into form over this road trip.

If we can get the key vets consistently performing up to their career norms, a higher portion of Ws will follow. Which is not to claim that the D will not continue to be a problem, because it will.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

In the olden days, before regular-season OT, it would be 13-8 with eight ties. Not great, but not THAT ugly. We are not out of it by any stretch, it all depends on how they play from here on out.

Sugar coat it all you like, makes no difference to me, team is struggling badly and record shows just that.

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hard to trade a guy with two more years on a flat-cap-unfriendly contract unless you add some not insignificant sweetener ... but I am entirely not against the idea

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

That's what happens when 3 dmen are not in the right chair. 

None of the LD has anything to do in their respective spot.  Even with Chiarot healthy it is so.  Everyone of them is 1 step higher than he's supposed to.

Bergevin hasn't done shit to get a #1 LD since Markov is gone. 

Oh, my bad, he drafted one.  And traded him to Tampa Bay.

Sergachev currently plays LD on TB 3rd pair.... he is nowhere near a #1 at this point in his career. Would he be a better fit on MTL 1st pair? Who knows