Would Patrick Roy Be booed at the BELL?

CoRvInA

An RDS article interviews Patrick Roy and suggests he would like to get close to the Habs organization again but is afraid of the reaction from us HABSFANS! ye guys have to put his one up

Aujourd'hui, on sent très bien que l'ancien gardien aimerait se rapprocher du Canadien.

« C'est sûr que j'aimerais aller plus souvent au Centre Bell mais j'ai toujours peur des réactions. J'ai toujours peur de voir comment certaines personnes vont réagir à cause de ce fameux match là, malheureusement, je dois vivre avec ça. Cela a créé des barrières qui ne devraient pas exister », de confier Roy.

RDS diffusera une émission spéciale ce soir à compter 18h00 sur ces évènements. L'Émission sera reprise à 22h30.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/193156.html

:ghg:

Roy got us two Stanley Cups and was arguably the best goalie of all time. He should be treated like a King at the Bell center, not scared of being booed. This is just disgraceful.

I'm sorry, but for what exactly does he have to apologize? Isn't it the other way around?

i think he should apologize any time you tell fans to f off with the prices we pay..Houle and tremblay may owe even more apologies for what they did to my team.. but for the love of the game..we put up with his huge ego because of his huge talent..why would we be putting up with it this time..fond memories

if hes not bringing somethign to the table theat we are in short supply of then he can do what he promised and never play another game for the habs..on or off the ice.

its not like were the friggin leafs and great players are so hard to come by as ambassadors that we have to looking for them...heck we even gave them ken dyden cuz they havent had a goalie since the 60's

Sorry guys Roy has nothing to apologize for.

If I were him (the franchise of the team) on that faithful night in December when he was left in for 8 or 9 Detroit goals I would have reacted the same way. In no way shape or form should he be aplogizing to the Habs the Habs should be apologizing to him.

And I hope one day in the future the number 33 hangs from the rafters of the Bell Centre where it belongs.

In his full 9 years in montreal he had 8 20+ win seasons.

and his sav % was below 900 only once.

Oh yeah and 2 cups

4 Jennings

2 Conn smythes and

3 Vezinas in Montreal.

Regardless of whether or not Patrick Roy should apologize or not... he should NEVER be booed in the Montreal Canadiens home arena. He is a legend, and we only have so many of them.

And he's hardly the first legend to squabble with the team before returning to the fold. Similar things happened with the Rocket and the Flower, but both were ultimately welcomed back with open arms. Hopefully the same happens for St. Patrick.

[Edited on 2005/12/2 by option+]

I agree that Roy has nothing to apologize for.

I don't think the Habs should apologize, either:

(a) I don't buy that the current generation of habs leadership should apologize for the errors of another.

(B) Tremblay was wrong to leave him in there, but IMO Patrick overreacted. Anytime you quit a team because you get too many goals scored against you, it's wrong. Tremblay made the mistake of trying to send a message to a high-ego player. Roy's mistake was to not handle it professionally, instead of grandstanding (typical of a big ego).

Anyway, I would like it if the Habs made some kind of gesture to him to make him feel comfortable being at the Bell Centre... maybe a presentation to him and others for the 20th anniversary of the '86 Cup?

read the link (if u can read french) on the Habsfans front page..

Who says mario hasnt to apologize?... they have to make due and mend broken bridges 33 is going up the bell centre Thats for sure.. and Mario has bled for the Bleu blanc rouge too! In my view all of them have to apologize to us in a way or another perhaps not literally although that would show even more courage and greatness... The glorieux fell into the abyss for 10 years and we still are feeling the repercutions... AND ALL are responsable!

Tonight there will be a program for those lucky enough to have that channel whatever it is! perhaps more informative than our views

Let's remember that habs fans didn't even boo Rejean Houle when he was part of a ceremony a few years back. For all their ferocity, these fans can also be exceedingly classy.

Roy would be given one of those patented standing Os. Trust me on this. In Montreal, Cups count for more than ego and resentment over old news.

COME BACK ST PATRICK!!!!!:king:

Personally I dont think Patrick Roy would be booed at the Bell Centre because unlike before when he played for the Canadiens now people look at him like a hero and seeing him return to Montreal would make a great amount of people really happy maybe also more tickets will be sold at the Bell.

[Edited on 2005/12/2 by blaze53]

It was stupid Forum booing that helped create this mess. He should be cheered down the red carpet. Then he should be hired as a goalie coach and do for Theodore and more importantly Price what Lemieux is doing for Crosby. Welcome back Roy and i would gladly lay a boot to anyone that boos you in the Bell Centre. He still could offer us a hell of a lot. Who knows he could even probably play if he had to.

[Edited on 2005/12/3 by Lister110]

Would Patrick Roy Be booed at the BELL?

Possibly. Somehow I doubt it. What happened happened a long time ago. I expect that most fans know something of the real story behind his departure.

The 'blame' would likely fall more on the shoulders of Tremblay & Corey.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

I would boo who ever starts booing ... I hate Booing!

I agree Roy has alot to offer He should be a man and Come to the Bell centre and get it over with!... Im sure no one would boo... he just has to come and sit beside Gainey! and drink a cold one while they watch the game!