Mar. 19, Canucks vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He sure has. 

I would like Weber to stop and heal from whatever is ailing him for as long as it takes. He is no use to us like this

Philosophically, I agree ... if Weber is "playing through" something (and it certainly looks like he might ... or else the issue is even more severe) he needs to get healthy ... at the moment, sitting Weber for even one game, makes Petry-Kulak the first pairing (which they already are in terms of performance IMO) playing 30-34 minutes per game and Edmundson-Romanov-Ouellet-Mete splitting up the 26-30 minutes in which the Habs will give up a ridiculous number of goals ... if Chiarot wasn't hurt at least you could go with a veteran, if underwhelming, second pairing and pull two out of three names from amongst Romanov-Ouellet-Mete.

The apparent need for Weber to have some games off just makes the Habs need for another legit top 4 defenceman more apparent ... but even if that happens today it is likely two weeks before he hits the ice (don't see a Scotia-North Division team trading such a player) ... a more realistic solution may be to look for a marginal second pairing, good 3rd pairing quality RHD so that the Habs can confidently give some of Weber-???'s minutes to the third pairing.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Philosophically, I agree ... if Weber is "playing through" something (and it certainly looks like he might ... or else the issue is even more severe) he needs to get healthy ... at the moment, sitting Weber for even one game, makes Petry-Kulak the first pairing (which they already are in terms of performance IMO) playing 30-34 minutes per game and Edmundson-Romanov-Ouellet-Mete splitting up the 26-30 minutes in which the Habs will give up a ridiculous number of goals ... if Chiarot wasn't hurt at least you could go with a veteran, if underwhelming, second pairing and pull two out of three names from amongst Romanov-Ouellet-Mete.

The apparent need for Weber to have some games off just makes the Habs need for another legit top 4 defenceman more apparent ... but even if that happens today it is likely two weeks before he hits the ice (don't see a Scotia-North Division team trading such a player) ... a more realistic solution may be to look for a marginal second pairing, good 3rd pairing quality RHD so that the Habs can confidently give some of Weber-???'s minutes to the third pairing.

All good points

The ideal solution is a #1 LD to take some responsibilities away from Weber. Unlikely to happen this year at least. 

Price has rebounded so maybe Weber can too? 

There is no cure for what is probably ailing Weber, which is that he is 35 years old.

This is what I was worried about all along with the “reset:” that by the time young players were ready, our best vets, especially Weber, would be too old.

You can’t sit him out. First of all, there is no one better to replace him and his huge minutes. Do you really think Mete or Ouellet are upgrades? Second, he is the biggest leader on the team after Price (and maybe Gally). Sitting him would be such an enormously high-risk coaching gamble mid-season. You might be able to do it next year, when everyone including Weber has had time to process and accept that he is no longer a stud defenceman.

Here’s the good news. Declining vets usually don’t decline in a single, smooth, downward line. And the former stars can usually gather themselves to play like they used to in short bursts. So, Weber’s game may yet spike upward at some point in the season, and he may still be able to raise his game for the playoffs.

If we get to the playoffs.

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The one consolation is that 3-on-3 OT is not real hockey. 

Really, sometimes it is great entertainment.

Now, if just get rid of the shootout, i would still be all for that.

The OT thing is just ridiculous. This is a team that does not believe it can win in OT.

But, you have an Anderson with a failed breakaway and surely he cant be "gripping the stick too tight" or even have time to think about OT record before he misses the net, can he?

The boring circling with puck, simply killing the clock or trying to lull everyone to sleep (not sure exactly what plan was), for 2 minutes just didnt work and i would scrap that idea.

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There is no cure for what is probably ailing Weber, which is that he is 35 years old.

This is what I was worried about all along with the “reset:” that by the time young players were ready, our best vets, especially Weber, would be too old.

You can’t sit him out. First of all, there is no one better to replace him and his huge minutes. Do you really think Mete or Ouellet are upgrades? Second, he is the biggest leader on the team after Price (and maybe Gally). Sitting him would be such an enormously high-risk coaching gamble mid-season. You might be able to do it next year, when everyone including Weber has had time to process and accept that he is no longer a stud defenceman.

Here’s the good news. Declining vets usually don’t decline in a single, smooth, downward line. And the former stars can usually gather themselves to play like they used to in short bursts. So, Weber’s game may yet spike upward at some point in the season, and he may still be able to raise his game for the playoffs.

If we get to the playoffs.

image.jpeg

Maybe it simply is age but you are right we can’t afford to sit him especially when Chairot is out. 

Only what? 5 more years to go with Weber 

I thought Weber played alright last night. 

2 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

To a degree we all see what we are looking for so I’m curious if I’m just fanning an old opinion of Weber. 

I saw:

-Weber is miles out of position too often

-his zone exit passes are to Habs that are covered so the puck gets turned over

- his back is to the play often

-he is literally 2 steps behind the play in D zone. 

He is fine in the O zone but D zone is poor and if he is pressured he is in trouble. He never plays like this so I’m wondering what is going on with him. 

What are you liking about his game?

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

image.jpeg

Maybe it simply is age but you are right we can’t afford to sit him especially when Chairot is out. 

Only what? 5 more years to go with Weber 

I'm betting only one or two years ... his actual salary next season is $6 million again and then $3 million in 22/23 ... but it drops to $1 million for the final three seasons ... hard to see a 38 yr-old Weber playing for $1 million when his estimated career earnings are over $110 million.

Just now, GHT120 said:

I'm betting only one or two years ... his actual salary next season is $6 million again and then $3 million in 22/23 ... but it drops to $1 million for the final three seasons ... hard to see a 38 yr-old Weber playing for $1 million when his estimated career earnings are over $110 million.

That was always the gamble when it comes to that insane contract: that he will retire to maintain his dignity rather than play out the whole thing. We’ll see what happens; for all we know, he downsizes his expectations, accepts a modest role as a bottom-6 guy and “veteran leader,” and plays out the contract because he loves the game...

I don’t really blame the coach for player selection

Almost all players you would of wanted on the ice (like Gallagher, Suzuki, Drouin, or Toffoli...), had a shift or partial one in OT, aside from KK.

At least Habs went 2 for 4 on the PP, which has still been a great upgrade over the Kirk Muller ran PP, so far.

And Suzuki, KK and Danault all did well on faceoffs.

So not all negatives.

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Almost all players you would of wanted on the ice (like Gallagher, Suzuki, Drouin, or Toffoli...), had a shift or partial one in OT, aside from KK.

At least Habs went 2 for 4 on the PP, which has still been a great upgrade over the Kirk Muller ran PP, so far.

And Suzuki, KK and Danault all did well on faceoffs.

So not all negatives.

Yeah, I’m not ready to throw in the towel by any means. It’s unfortunate that Ducharme has been hampered by a compressed schedule and a lack of practice time, but I really have trouble judging a team based on its 3-on-3 performance. Like I say above, if we had a .500 record in OT, nobody would be gloomy about les canadiens. The pessimist points out the egregious 0-9 record; the optimist points out that we keep getting points in nearly every game we play.

I think the team has gotten closer to where it needs to be under Ducharme; but we’re still one notch under where we need to be. 

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

They can't be this bad in OT. Things will even out, it's kind of like the year they won 10 or 11 OT games in the playoffs, they weren't that good but got a little lucky. Their OT luck has to turn around. 

Karma , eh?! Collecting for that playoff series 

14 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If the penalty is called the Canucks might have gotten a shorthanded breakaway, the Habs might have accidentally scored in their own net ... that is the thing about maybes, they don't always go the way we hope ... besides, I went back to look at the O/T and the only possible missed penalty I could find was more Drouin interfering with Vancouver guys trying to chase Anderson than any penalty by Vancouver.

Even if it was a penalty, blaming the refs takes the Habs off the hook for their ACTUAL play in O/T 

If the penalty was called Habs could of scored a PP goal.  As I said, if the penalty got called and the habs still lost, we wouldn't be talking about this at all.

You need to watch the OT again if you think that was Drouin causing interference, and if you still see Drouin is the only penalty, watch it again, keep watching it until you see what actually happened.  Drouin strips Hughes of the puck behind the net, J.T. Miller hooks Drouin while he was trying to break out, no call, Hughes reaches over the top (you can see his arm reach over the top prior to this phantom interference call you are pushing) and grabs Drouin's shoulder, no call.  I just rewatched the sequence multiple times. 

I do agree the play in OT is terrible, which it shouldn't be for a team built for speed.  It should be their game to lose, but they don't capitalize on their chances and seem lost with and without the puck in OT.

4 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Maybe Bettman will next change it so no slap shots are allowed because people get hurt. He is the epitome of what is wrong with the game. We had the best, fastest, hardest hitting, toughest sport in the world, even tougher than Aussie Football. It was perfectly fine as is......Then Bettman....... What a wimp. IMHO. Yes people were getting injured, but I knew that risk at 7 years old when I played my first season, goalie with a Ed Giacomin mask and cotton arm and chest pads. Kids hit and fought, some got hurt. But we all survived it. It was hockey and wasnt meant for everyone but we who played did not want it changed.

OT in regular season, I couldnt care less what happens. 3 on 3 is not hockey, it is shinny when not enough people show up. Man we even considered that too few for a street hockey game.

Call me a boomer if you must. Today's hockey is a watered down version played by figure skaters.

Yea let’s all smoke start smoking too - cuz you know even Reagan used to advertise for cigarette companies - we knew it was bad back than, how’s hay we know now different than what we knew 50 years ago.  While we’re a it, why even have helmets or goalie masks. Real men like Richard or Lafleur didn’t wear them and Lafleur knew the risks. Let’s just let players play without helmets too🙄

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Yeah, and the habs played an alright OT game last night too.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Unless we see a dramatic improvement, I think you have to expose him. Even two more years at that cap hit is too much for what he is bringing.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Karma , eh?! Collecting for that playoff series 

Could be!  In 93 they won 10 overtime games which was ridiculous. The 93 team was a solid team but not a great team, no way you should win 10 overtime games in a row especially in the playoffs when you are not playing any weak teams.  Could be Karma. 

Man!! Just a roller coaster watching the Habs play.  Such promise at times or very mediocre sometimes.  I keep telling myself at least they are in the mix for a playoff spot and it's their spot to lost.

I do have to agree that Weber sure is struggling as of late.  Bad pinches, terrbile passes and really our of sorts.  I'd rather see Petry back with Edmundson and  maybe give Mete a shot with Weber but not for #1 unit minutes.  Leaving Kulak with Romanov.  Not too impressed with Oulette.

As for the forwards i'm always hoping for more from Armia like his great game against Van when he got concussed.  Time to get Lekky back in the lineup.

17 hours ago, Neech said:

Why does Byron always start the extra period?  He's not the speed demon he used to be, and there are half a dozen more skilled forwards on the roster.  

He is one of the best ones in shootouts, he is fast, he is good in short handed situations, he is constant and always gives 100% and he was rested

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, and the habs played an alright OT game last night too.

I thought Weber played better than the Habs played in OT.

I liked a few rushes where he was carrying the puck up the ice. It has been a long time since I’ve witnessed him do it, but I guess he is being forced to now that he is paired with Edmundson. I saw strong boxing out around the net, as someone else suggested, and I liked that he was getting his slapper off on the power play, having injured at least two of their players in doing so. 

Ironically he was a minus last game and not the few games before yesterday, but especially on the power play, it’s going to click for him soon.

5 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I liked a few rushes where he was carrying the puck up the ice. It has been a long time since I’ve witnessed him do it, but I guess he is being forced to now that he is paired with Edmundson. I saw strong boxing out around the net, as someone else suggested, and I liked that he was getting his slapper off on the power play, having injured at least two of their players in doing so. 

Ironically he was a minus last game and not the few games before yesterday, but especially on the power play, it’s going to click for him soon.

I agree on Weber, it is obvious that Dom has changed how the D get involved in the play, not rushing the puck into the zone.

I have also noticed in the last three games (maybe happened before) how the defensemen are holding onto the puck until the forecheking forward is very close to them before making a pass. It seem slike it is planned to open up center ice. That exposes slower D like Weber and Edmundson who often are the last out of their zone.

52 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Im holding onto hope for the whole team by a thread and Weber playing like Weber used to would really help turn things around. 

Price fixed his crap and has been good to great since then. I’m really hoping Weber can do the same 

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

someone new to this season? We need to turn it around. 

I’ll do a basic one if I don’t see a GDT by 5

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Who wants to take a crack at today's GDT?

I'll take a crack at it

• Upvote 1