Shame on them

Habsterr

I am very disappointed with the state of hockey.

They had a great opportunity to make a significant change and change they did...for one month.

We had an open game with great speed and lots of exciting rushes. Scoring was up. A lead was not safe as teams could always come back and that meant the leading team had to keep up the pressure as well. NHL hockey was fun again.

Now, look at the scores. 3-2.....2-1. More of the same old, same old. Limited skating, goals down, game along the boards again instead of through the middle. Obstruction all over the place ( the Leafs are the worst culprits). Sticks are on players when the rule was supposed to be "no use of the stick". Players are being held up against the boards again when they don't have possession any more...... I can go on and on.

I know from where I talk. I have the Centre Ice package and have watched most games on most nights.

Too bad. Hockey could have been good again. Exciting again. Like the 70s and 80s again.

The stars of the game could have been at their best again.

Nope. Dull boring hockey circa the 90s

Notice we are not reading daily press releases about how the scores are still up? Well they are not.

SHAME ON THE NHL

[Edited on 2005/12/3 by Habsterr]

I haven't noticed that but, if you're correct, it's very disappointing.

I've seen some super hockey of late but watching the Canadiens during their struggles isn't really an indication of any cut-back in free-flowing skating.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it. For my sake, when Kovalev, Koivu and Markov are back and when the rookies have more opportunity to show their speed and skills, then I'll get a better idea.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Two things:

1. You are partially correct. The refs are letting a lot more go and it's dragging the game down quite significantly.

2. The coaching and the goalies. In the first case, they've done a solid job adapting to the new rules. Players are instructed to skate towards their own zone in the attacking skating lanes. Defender skate together towards the puck when there's a dump in so the attacker has to go the long way around. There are little things that coaches have picked up that are improving the defences. The other thing is that the goalies are getting used to the new equipment and rules and have adapted their games to suit.

I wouldn't give up yet. I think this is exactly where the "competition" committee wants the games. I remember hearing an interview with Gainey early in the season saying there were too many penalties called. I think this is the happy medium they were looking for. However, if it continues to get worse, then you're right, back to the 90's.

The Jersey-Minnesota game just ended 3-2 in a shootout. Only 2 penalties were called in the 3rd period after an average of 5 were called in each the first two periods. This is definitely something to monitor in the next few weeks.

More proof

Found this article on "Trap Play"on Yahoo Hockey today.

"Well, put the Ducks on that list. They are routinely dropping four men between the blue lines, with one man passively funneling the puck carrier to one side -- typically the Ducks' left wing side. Even when the opposition has the puck in full possession behind their net, the Ducks are using just one man deep in the zone, with the wingers positioned on the boards nearer the blue line than the goal line. They are firmly entrenched in trying to capitalize on failed forays through the neutral zone, working solely on turnovers to generate offense.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. But if you're looking for games with flow and offensive creativity, the Pond isn't the place to partake. During their recent run of five wins, two were by 3-1 counts and two were 2-1.

The Ducks have tallied five goals or more only three times. But they are winning. And with the vigilant standard being applied to the rule book, the Ducks aren't allowed to muck it up through hooking, holding and interfering -- although the Ducks have taken the second-most restraining penalties in the league. Still, the league mandate means they must move their feet to maintain defensive positioning.

There is no such mandate, though, requiring teams to move their feet in the offensive zone without the puck. Thus -- for better or worse -- the trap lives"

Everyone knew this was coming it is just as any NHL rule change is attempted to better the game and speed the game up. In the off season everyone is all for it but when teams start loosing games in the dying seconds due to a blown call, referees are more hesitant to make the call and will allow more to slide. This is what happens every time no one can tell me they are surprised. I am not saying that I don’t think that they will crack down again this year but this was expected teams don’t like to loose or win on the backs of the referees.