RESCHEDULED (Mar. 30), Oilers vs Canadiens, 19h00 EDT

alfredoh2009

:habslogo: Let's keep the winning streak going :habslogo:

after over a week off due to COVID-19 protocols, the Canadiens and the Oilers will play on Tuesday March 30

of course, this depends on test results and official confirmation.

the rat king runs this — Vanilla Stage - Connor McDavid Montreal Canadiens NHL Fans GIF by NHL - Find & Share on GIPHY

Draisaitl - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Kahun - Nugent-Hopkins - Archibald
Ennis - Haas - Kassian
Shore - Khaira - Chiasson

Nurse - Barrie
Lagesson - Larsson
Russell - Bear

Koskinen / (Smith)

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Byron - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen

Frolik - Evans - Perry

Kulak - Petry

Edmundson - Weber

Mete - Romanov 

Price / (Allen)

Starting line up in bold

Edited by alfredoh2009
Toffoli is DTD; about 1hr before game time, it was announced that Armia and Kotkaniemi were put on COVID protocol. Armia remains on COVID protocol
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the GDT!

I still don’t like the “weak third pairing” model - I’d try to reduce Weber’s minutes, and put him with Mete. Give more minutes to a combo of Edmundson and Romanov. But what do I know? I do prefer Mete-Romanov to Oulette-Romanov, which I regard as completely unfair to Romanov. Mete is nothing great, but at least he can play at the NHL level.

Putting together some Ws is vital now. The alternative is to continue limping toward the finish line as a borderline bubble team. We’ve survived Price’s disastrous start, which he seems to have shaken off; the poor play by the Danault trio, which also seems to be improving; and the bizarre 0-9 stretch and Blue Jersey Curse. I want to see us put the dumb drama behind us and get down to business.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thanks for the GDT!

I still don’t like the “weak third pairing” model - I’d try to reduce Weber’s minutes, and put him with Mete. Give more minutes to a combo of Edmundson and Romanov. But what do I know? I do prefer Mete-Romanov to Oulette-Romanov, which I regard as completely unfair to Romanov. Mete is nothing great, but at least he can play at the NHL level.

Putting together some Ws is vital now. The alternative is to continue limping toward the finish line as a borderline bubble team. We’ve survived Price’s disastrous start, which he seems to have shaken off; the poor play by the Danault trio, which also seems to be improving; and the bizarre 0-9 stretch and Blue Jersey Curse. I want to see us put the dumb drama behind us and get down to business.

Agree on Mete vs Ouellet.

5-3-3 in March so far. Not awful, but it would be good to get some more solid wins on the board. And to take some points away from the Oilers.

Living in Edmonton my whole life and always being a Habs fan I always hate playing the Oilers and this goes back to the 80s when they would kick our butts (think leafs fans are annoying ). Mcdavid is possess right now and there’s no one who can stop him let alone against a weaker D as we are now with a key injury on the blue line. Most are hoping for 4/6 Points but I would take 3/6 and move on. 

hoping I’m underestimating our boys this week! Go Habs!! 

1 hour ago, zumpano21 said:

Fingers crossed for Tovfefe.

3 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Living in Edmonton my whole life and always being a Habs fan I always hate playing the Oilers and this goes back to the 80s when they would kick our butts (think leafs fans are annoying ). Mcdavid is possess right now and there’s no one who can stop him let alone against a weaker D as we are now with a key injury on the blue line. Most are hoping for 4/6 Points but I would take 3/6 and move on. 

hoping I’m underestimating our boys this week! Go Habs!! 

I hear you. I grew up in Ontario but have lived the bulk of my life in Edmonton. It was awful when the Oilers beat the Habs in the playoffs, I was at one of those games and didn't enjoy it much. McDavid is playing at another level right now, hopefully he doesn't see much of the Habs 3rd defence pairing but it's definitely a team effort to stop him. When he gets the puck going full speed he's very tough to stop. There is nobody else like him. 

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I hear you. I grew up in Ontario but have lived the bulk of my life in Edmonton. It was awful when the Oilers beat the Habs in the playoffs, I was at one of those games and didn't enjoy it much. McDavid is playing at another level right now, hopefully he doesn't see much of the Habs 3rd defence pairing but it's definitely a team effort to stop him. When he gets the puck going full speed he's very tough to stop. There is nobody else like him. 

I believe McDavid and Draisatl are going to shred our defence.  The 3rd pairing isn’t good enough to consider containing them.  The other 2 pairs, especially Weber and Edmundson, will get obliterated by their speed.

I want to be an optimist about this series, so if the Habs can contain McDavid and Draisatl, and can score more than 2 goals, they have a good chance at winning.  

6 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I believe McDavid and Draisatl are going to shred our defence.  The 3rd pairing isn’t good enough to consider containing them.  The other 2 pairs, especially Weber and Edmundson, will get obliterated by their speed.

I want to be an optimist about this series, so if the Habs can contain McDavid and Draisatl, and can score more than 2 goals, they have a good chance at winning.  

I want to be an optimist too, maybe McDavid is due for an off night as he has been on fire lately.  It takes 5 guys committed to defence to stop him or just control the puck so much that he doesn't touch it. I would be thrilled if the Habs can take 4 points from this series, maybe wishful thinking. They will have to score some goals and losing Toffoli really hurts. 

I just want to throw out something humorous that us Edmonton based Habs fans will understand a little more.

There’s a common belief by the Edmonton sports media that McDavid and Draisatl play on 2 different lines.  The game lineups don’t reflect that above, but the media here in Edmonton believe it.  All of the Oilers fans here that I talk to believe it as well.  Yet you go back to 75% of each of their points, and the other guy is assisting or scoring on that point, but when you point that out, they look at you weird and spew that same line again.

16 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I just want to throw out something humorous that us Edmonton based Habs fans will understand a little more.

There’s a common belief by the Edmonton sports media that McDavid and Draisatl play on 2 different lines.  The game lineups don’t reflect that above, but the media here in Edmonton believe it.  All of the Oilers fans here that I talk to believe it as well.  Yet you go back to 75% of each of their points, and the other guy is assisting or scoring on that point, but when you point that out, they look at you weird and spew that same line again.

Agree! And most of those points together are on the power play. 

33 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

All hail Petry and Kulak. Once you shut down the usual suspects, YEG is a house of cards.

41 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

just a quick story about this and my first ever game as a child watching the Habs live and was against Edmonton on a regular season game at the Colosseum. had tickets in the nose bleeds and excited to go watch the Habs of the 70s, I’m thinking This was 81 or 82, on the way to the game I found out that Wayne Gretzky was not playing that night and Mark Messier was going to be the captain of the Edmonton for the very first time. I was so excited that we were going to kick their ass without Gretzky in the lineup,  anyways long story short the final score was 11-2 for Oilers and messier had 4 goals maybe even 5 that night!! A nightmare for a child watching his Habs for the very first time live!! 

1 minute ago, zumpano21 said:

All hail Petry and Kulak. Once you shut down the usual suspects, YEG is a house of cards.

True, although much easier said than done. However Toronto did do it for 3 games in a row in Edmonton.  Not sure what they did but the Oiler scored 1 goal I think in 3 games. An anomaly??

4 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

just a quick story about this and my first ever game as a child watching the Habs live and was against Edmonton on a regular season game at the Colosseum. had tickets in the nose bleeds and excited to go watch the Habs of the 70s, I’m thinking This was 81 or 82, on the way to the game I found out that Wayne Gretzky was not playing that night and Mark Messier was going to be the captain of the Edmonton for the very first time. I was so excited that we were going to kick their ass without Gretzky in the lineup,  anyways long story short the final score was 11-2 for Oilers and messier had 4 goals maybe even 5 that night!! A nightmare for a child watching his Habs for the very first time live!! 

Good story!  I went to a lot of Oiler games a while back as I split a season ticket through a connection. It was during their glory years. It was 1st row Blues (Row 21) right at centre ice. Great seat.  I was there when they beat the Islanders for their first cup win. And something I would do over again. I had the ticket for game 7 in the Stanley Cup final when they beat Philly. I ended up scalping the ticket as I thought that I was a Habs fan anyway and I will see other Stanley Cup finals. Looking back I should have gone to the game, how often do you get to see Game 7 of a Stanley Cup final. Stupid young guy!!  

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True, although much easier said than done. However Toronto did do it for 3 games in a row in Edmonton.  Not sure what they did but the Oiler scored 1 goal I think in 3 games. An anomaly??

Oil only scored 1g in each of 1st two match ups vs Habs.

McDavid & Draisatle have 0 goals in 3 games vs Habs.

3 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I’m not even watching this game! Lol

it hurts to much 

I have an ongoing bet with a guy at work on Oilers vs Habs games.  I’m watching it until Oilers go up by 3.

1 hour ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I remember listening on the French radio Canada broadcasts of that post Dryden 70’s habs vs young oilers playoff series, since there was only one channel and the game wasn’t being aired in Calgary tv. I knew about 5 words of French and all I remember was repeatedly hearing “haaandy moog” every time the Canadiens had a chance!  I didn’t realize Moog’’a first name was Andy, and that “haaandy” was French for great save. I hated Moog later with Boston and even when he played with us because of that series.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Oh crap 

Crap is right. I think we just lost two points.  

1 hour ago, DON said:

Oil only scored 1g in each of 1st two match ups vs Habs.

McDavid & Draisatle have 0 goals in 3 games vs Habs.

Werent those games at the start when the oilers sucked like it 2011 again?

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to RESCHEDULED (Mar. 30), Oilers vs Canadiens, 19h00 EDT