Habs trade for Eric Staal

Trizzak

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

10 years ago, if I told you the Habs were going to add Eric Staal AND Corey Perry in the same year, you’d have bent down and kissed my feet, LOL

We could still do that. If you retain 50% of the salary! :D

Last year he was on a 58pt pace, so maybe still has 'something' left in the tank and seems i was bit out to lunch regarding Perry and i dont think having couple 1000pt+ vets around will hurt the younger players at all, in long run.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

10 years ago, if I told you the Habs were going to add Eric Staal AND Corey Perry in the same year, you’d have bent down and kissed my feet, LOL

Not to mention Weber and Price.  We're loaded with Team Canada Royalty (from last decade)!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, zumpano21 said:

Is Danault sweating profusely?

I like the deal. I wouldn't see why this move would impact Danault at all. Stall is a 4th line veteran option (2/3rd as a short term injury fill-in)  and he is insurance in case KK has any issues after the Covid infection or exposure and depth in case of other injury.  Ducharme wasn't enamored with Evans play of late and this gives the Habs some depth in case of injury. Before this move, one injury at center and we are facing the possibility of Byron or Dauphin or Poehling as an everyday center which frankly made me nauseous. That is not to say that Poehling might not be able fill a role on the team next year, but this year I want him to continue to develop in Laval

Bergevin strikes again with a great deal. 

Evans is Laval surely and we keep Byron on taxi until the other trade is done (I’m thinking one more is coming)

Even with Buffalo eating 50% Evans alone don’t cover it so are they keeping saviour Byron on taxi? No way

Byron - Staal - Armia 4th line

The writing was on the wall for this deal, veteran center, leadership qualities, championship pedigree, cheap to acquire, etc. I'm just glad that it came together and can't wait to see him help the team 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I bet he jumped and clicked his heals to get out of Buffalo. 

Agreed ...perfect example of how NTCs are about control, not absolutely preventing a trade to the teams listed ...  I expect his family stays put in Minnesota ... the chance to move from a dumpster-fire to a likely playoff team and get the Canadian "Original 6" experience for a few months is very different than playing a full season with the Habs.

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Incoming speculative doomsdaying: So does this suggest that it's Kotkaniemi who is the player who caught the covid variant, and his recovery could take awhile?

Bergevin did say in his presser that the sick one was doing well. 

Staal adds size and ups the skill level on the 4th line. I expect that both Staal and Perry will be huge for us in the playoffs 

6 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Incoming speculative doomsdaying: So does this suggest that it's Kotkaniemi who is the player who caught the covid variant, and his recovery could take awhile?

Its possible but I would hope it is unrelated ... Habs already needed someone like Staal even if KK is healthy and was tearing it up offensively

9 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Not necessarily, our NHL centre depth was paper thin. This is the kind of smart depth pickup that contenders make... I hope that we have the opportunity to get used to this. I also really like how Bergevin just keeps his mouth shut and then acts.