Habs trade for Eric Staal

Trizzak

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think is the old trick of lighting a fire under certain player’s skates

KK is the future but not currently playing as a top 6 NHL Center 

Neither him or Suzuki are, really.  

3 hours ago, sbhatt said:

so far I KK looks far from a sure thing to develop into a good #2 center.  Concerning indeed, considering we could have drafted Tkachuk instead

Romanov is the leading scorer of the 2nd round 2018 picks.

20yr old KK is doing fine, it seems to me anyways. 

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Romanov is the leading scorer of the 2nd round 2018 picks.

20yr old KK is doing fine, it seems to me anyways. 

Agree ... the only real concern that (IMO) anyone should have with KK, or Suzuki for that matter, as players is that MB has built a team to win now that depends on a 21 yr-old 2nd year centre and a 20 year-old 3rd year centre to be a couple of years further along in their development ... any KK vs Tzachuk vs Hughes discussion is an entirely separate matter from how he is developing ... 

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think is the old trick of lighting a fire under certain player’s skates

KK is the future but not currently playing as a top 6 NHL Center 

Either is Stall

• 2 weeks later...

So early returns for Staal are not great aside from that 3-on-3 goal, and apparently we can't even call up Evans right now because we've used up all our call-ups?  Unless Merrill impresses bigtime this is looking like another dud of a deadline for Bergy.

4 hours ago, Neech said:

So early returns for Staal are not great aside from that 3-on-3 goal, and apparently we can't even call up Evans right now because we've used up all our call-ups?  Unless Merrill impresses bigtime this is looking like another dud of a deadline for Bergy.

Yeas, it is looking like a miss

but not a bad hitting average for the season

if Staal and Perry are 2/3 of the fourth line all the way to the playoffs, that is fine by me.

better than Ott/King/Martinse a few year back when we were kind of contending (or pretending if you are a glass half-empty type of guy)

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

if Staal and Perry are 2/3 of the fourth line all the way to the playoffs, that is fine by me.

better than Ott/King/Martinse a few year back when we were kind of contending (or pretending if you are a glass half-empty type of guy)

Definitely better than Ott et al ... but was a team with a 35 goal scorer and one other 20 goal scorer (Byron: 22) contending ... or were 103 points just Therrien's magic ... only Bergie knows for sure ;)

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Definitely better than Ott et al ... but was a team with a 35 goal scorer and one other 20 goal scorer (Byron: 22) contending ... or were 103 points just Therrien's magic ... only Bergie knows for sure ;)

I think it was a lot less ‘“Therrien magic” (was fired), and more price having one of his top 3 seasons in the NHL - and started stopping the puck again after Therrien got fired. Outside of Price we were clearly a pretender.

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Anyone who thinks a team with those three is contender is clearly delusional. Didnt Ott retire the off-season after being traded to Montreal? Those aren’t even depth guys. One maybe as you 14th forward, but all three? On the same team????

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Anyone who thinks a team with those three is contender is clearly delusional. Didnt Ott retire the off-season after being traded to Montreal? Those aren’t even depth guys. One maybe as you 14th forward, but all three? On the same team????

It was a dark time for the Habs back then, you are right

but we have come a long way from that ... I think (blame potatohead thinking)