Goals allowed and disallowed

Habs71

Did anyone see the game between the oilers and bruins why was the tying goal aloowed when last saturday our was disallowed and the oils goal was way worse then last saturday. Go :hlogo: Go

That was a good call. It should have counted. They reviewed it to see if the net was knocked off before the puck crossed the line but it didn't.

I saw the highlights of the Leafs game and Eric Lindros's goal should have been called offside.:o Another one o

on RDS a couple of Ex nordic or to fans say that we should'nt be spitting up in the air ( meaning when we cried Corrupt ref on the habs Buds game )

They think Sat's game against the kings was pure Habs mafia! refs talking with the Habs the whole game etccc....

RIDICULE!!!:lol:

[Edited on 2005/12/4 by CoRvInA]

Talking about dissallowed goals Im not saying that Jan Bulis' goal against the LA Kings should've been dissallowed but everyone saw the replay and everyone knows that the net came off first before the puck got a chance to hit the net.

Anyways Im happy that it counted!!

Originally posted by blaze53

Ohhk thanks waking me up there "glorieux" I promise I wont say any comments that would go against the Habs again.

Yeah, normally it's a penalty shot but I guess if the puck goes in then they just count it. That's how it should be or else the team would have 1 designated player stand by the net and knock it off whenever the other team's about to score.

And about the Habs talking to the refs...: The mic was on Begin and we saw him having friendly discussions and laughing with the refs and linesman but none of the calls that went the habs way were too biased.

Interesting.

The goal that Bulis scored counts because the net was taken off by the Kings own players, and the player who interfered with Garon's goaltending was his own defender.

Was that essentially what we saw last week with Markov? Some guy hooks him, falls into Belfour, then the puck hits Markov and goes in. Please someone, explain the difference to me.

Oh wait, I know what it is.

We were in the Centre of the Universe. :eyes:

Guess what? Goals are allowed and/or disallowed all the time, in all sports. It's part of being human and living/playing/working/competing in the human arena.

Sometimes 'we' come out on the good end, sometimes not. We can crab, we can complain, we can criticize (constructively or not), we can evaluate, we can postulate, we can express our opinions, etc.

Bottom line, people, it happens.

My best example is the incident when Steve Smith when he banked one in off Grant Fuhr's leg in the 1986 playoffs. That was the goal that was supposed to have knocked the Oilers out the playoffs and allowed the Flames to go on to eventually go on to the finals. All I can say that in incidences like this one, if a team's playoff possibilities are cut off then that team had let themselves be brought to the place where this kind of thing could do it. In the case of the Oilers, they should have disposed of the Flames in short order. They didn't and they let themselves be critically affected by that mistake that Smith made. The same goes for the Boston Red Sox when they were beat by the New York Mets, etc.

Sounds harsh, non? Well, it's not.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

[Edited on 2005/12/5 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by les_glorieux

actually, since it was taken off by a defensive player, it should have counted, as it did.

When you say it "should" have counted. I presume you mean according to the rules and not just morally. If so can you provide a reference to the relevant rule? I have take a look through the rules and can't see why it counted. All I can find is a rule that allows a goal when the net is off if the defence *intentionally* knocked the net off.

The commentators said it should count because the goalie (Garon) and not the Kings D-man knocked the net off. I can't find any justification for this in the rules either. Of course, it would have been a travesty if they had disallowed that goal.

The goal against the leafs should have counted as the net did not come off and Markov did not impede Belfour. I have no idea why it was disallowed. Other than conspiracy theories, I can only think the ref thought Markov collided with Belfour.

The goal the Oilers scored against the Bruins is more complicated. The net did not come off so that is not a concern. The Oiler forward did collide with the Bruin goalie but this is allowed since it was not intentional and since he scored on a rebound. The puck went into the crease first - an offensive player is allowed to follow the puck into the crease and if he has "incidental" contact with the goalie this does not nullify the goal. Thus I think the rules call for that goal to be allowed.

Originally posted by Peter Puck

actually, since it was taken off by a defensive player, it should have counted, as it did.

When you say it "should" have counted. I presume you mean according to the rules and not just morally. If so can you provide a reference to the relevant rule? I have take a look through the rules and can't see why it counted. All I can find is a rule that allows a goal when the net is off if the defence *intentionally* knocked the net off.

The commentators said it should count because the goalie (Garon) and not the Kings D-man knocked the net off. I can't find any justification for this in the rules either. Of course, it would have been a travesty if they had disallowed that goal.

The goal against the leafs should have counted as the net did not come off and Markov did not impede Belfour. I have no idea why it was disallowed. Other than conspiracy theories, I can only think the ref thought Markov collided with Belfour.

The goal the Oilers scored against the Bruins is more complicated. The net did not come off so that is not a concern. The Oiler forward did collide with the Bruin goalie but this is allowed since it was not intentional and since he scored on a rebound. The puck went into the crease first - an offensive player is allowed to follow the puck into the crease and if he has "incidental" contact with the goalie this does not nullify the goal. Thus I think the rules call for that goal to be allowed.

It was intentional if you watch Conroy closely. And he was probably joking but he had this to say after the game when talking about the goal counting:

"I guess I probably should have knocked the net off harder."

If the rule is that a goal doesn't count if the net is knocked off before the puck goes in then the Bulis goal shouldn't of counted. The net was clearly off before the puck went in the net. I thought for sure the goal was not going to count when they took all that time reviewing it. Perhaps the refs were making up for the horrible call on Markov.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie
Originally posted by Peter Puck

It was intentional if you watch Conroy closely. And he was probably joking but he had this to say after the game when talking about the goal counting:

"I guess I probably should have knocked the net off harder."

Thanks, BtH. I didn't notice that. It certainly explains why they would count the goal.

Originally posted by blaze53

Talking about dissallowed goals Im not saying that Jan Bulis' goal against the LA Kings should've been dissallowed but everyone saw the replay and everyone knows that the net came off first before the puck got a chance to hit the net.

Anyways Im happy that it counted!!

Not to split hairs or anything but appearantly the NHL officiating supervisor in attendance said that the goal was counted for two reasons. A) the net did not loose contact with the pegs at anytime [in fact it came back down in the correct position proving this B) Because the net was jostled by the defending player without contact from the offensive team.

He said there is a rule about a goal counting if the net is dislodged as long as the net is still in contact or on its pegs. Now, I haven't been abitious enough to look it up, but it is in the past anyway ala Saturday's leaf ripoff, and I don't think they would change it after the fact.

WHy not do what the NFL does, give the coaches 1 or 2 challenges a game, for the ref to go upstairs.

I bet if they did in the game vs. the leafs, the Markov goal would have counted.

Just a thought.

Bar

Originally posted by bar

WHy not do what the NFL does, give the coaches 1 or 2 challenges a game, for the ref to go upstairs.

I bet if they did in the game vs. the leafs, the Markov goal would have counted.

Just a thought.

Bar

I like that idea! But, I think that one came down to a judgement call on who caused the interference with Belfour. The ref could've said that it was Markov who knocked their D into him, and therefore disallowing the goal. They usually just go upstairs if there's some question about whether the puck went in, or something that happens in the crease.