Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

I was checking the news on Juulsen, and found out he is in Syracuse for a conditioning stint and he got a point on his first game there:

https://syracusecrunch.com/news/2021/3/26/syracuse-crunch-crunch-top-amerks-4-3-in-overtime.aspx

Also, Alex Galchenyuk had a good game with Toronto, and it seems PK Suban has had a better season this year.

So, I thought it may be nice to have a place to post news on past Habs players and prospects for those times when we are a bit nostalgic

Seems like the perfect thread for what I found out the other day - former Habs goaltending prospect Vadim Tarasov has a son, Daniil, who is a goaltending prospect for the Blue Jackets who just came over from the KHL is joining their AHL squad.

Edited by Fanpuck33
I'd have sworn I put their names in there originally. oy.

8 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Seems like the perfect thread for what I found out the other day - former Habs goaltending prospect has a son who is a goaltending prospect for the Blue Jackets who just came over from the KHL is joining their AHL squad.

And that would be?

:)

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Danill Tarasov, son of Vadim who was a 7th rounder back in 1999 - he actually came over and played in the AHL for a season before going back home.

Thx

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

And that would be?

:)

My bad. Post corrected, and you saw dlbalr's clarification.  I don't know why his name has always stuck with me, but I vividly remember hearing about hype for him and Andrei Markov on AOL message boards back in the day.

On 3/30/2021 at 4:38 PM, Trizzak said:

I've wondered for awhile if Darren Dietz would try to come back to the NHL at some point. He's put up some great numbers in the KHL for the past 3 seasons. Then again, why mess with a good thing?

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=124683

Kinda throws the level of competition of the KHL into question if Dietz turns into a Kazakh Erik Karlsson over there.  

8 minutes ago, Neech said:

Kinda throws the level of competition of the KHL into question if Dietz turns into a Kazakh Erik Karlsson over there.  

That is  legitimate question ... but there is also that the ice-surface and the style of play in the KHL may better suit a particular players' skillset ... and perhaps also some players being late bloomers ... but I wouldn't waste any money getting him back

Tangential side-note: I got Chris Nilan to make a “Memmo” video as a present for my father’s 79th birthday. He did a great job, talking about how tough things are under Covid, expressing rueful sympathy about the challenges of getting older - his sincerity and charisma really came through. 👍 Knuckles is da man!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Tangential side-note: I got Chris Nilan to make a “Memmo” video as a present for my father’s 79th birthday. He did a great job, talking about how tough things are under Covid, expressing rueful sympathy about the challenges of getting older - his sincerity and charisma really came through. 👍 Knuckles is da man!

My favorite Hab. Loved him when he played, and admire him for overcoming addiction and being to open and willful to share his experience to help others.

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

My favorite Hab. Loved him when he played, and admire him for overcoming addiction and being to open and willful to share his experience to help others.

Agreed. And for 3-4 years there he was a pretty damned effective hockey player: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3975

Interesting to see those stats. He has four strong seasons and then a long train of injury-riddled years where he is, essentially, reduced to being *just* a fighter. It really speaks to the toll that takes on a guy.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

where he is, essentially, reduced to being *just* a fighter. It really speaks to the toll that takes on a guy.

I think are many in high(er) stressful or risky jobs that do not turn to substance abuse, but in Nilan's heyday alcohol, cigarettes, cocaine, etc...all were pretty much acceptable.

Does seem goons have more serious mental issues than other players, not sure of stats on that (Is it any different in boxing, or UFC?)?

But, i think things are improving (fewer goons, much more support, substance abuse not as accepted, less stigma for seeking help), is great that Nilan did that for your father, overcame his demons and he does seems to be relatively happy camper these days.:clap:

• Like 1

My team just got eliminated in the semi-finals of my beer league by a team that has David Ling who played 3 games with the Habs in the late 90s. In the deciding game he played pretty dirty while the refs had the whistles away. One infraction was a full on hip check/leg trip in a non contact league, and chirped the ref for making the call, and was even still yelling while in the box. When I was in a scrum with one of his teammates after the whistle he said to me "what are you gonna do there muscles". One of the boys said after the game he means business when he takes his teeth out to play. Did I mention this was beer league? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, illWill said:

My team just got eliminated in the semi-finals of my beer league by a team that has David Ling who played 3 games with the Habs in the late 90s. In the deciding game he played pretty dirty while the refs had the whistles away. One infraction was a full on hip check/leg trip in a non contact league, and chirped the ref for making the call, and was even still yelling while in the box. When I was in a scrum with one of his teammates after the whistle he said to me "what are you gonna do there muscles". One of the boys said after the game he means business when he takes his teeth out to play. Did I mention this was beer league? 

Like Co-Ed, Slo-Pitch, bike shorts & muscle shirt guy who has to hit homers every at-bat even though they start to count as doubles and then outs ... some guys just can't turn off the ego and "play to level"

10 hours ago, illWill said:

He never broke into the NHL. he is probably still sore about that.

Good story though, thx!

Edited by alfredoh2009

Thoughts and wishes to Alexei

On 3/30/2021 at 12:53 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This is a great idea for a permanent thread. Kudos 🤘

Who's Kudos playing for now? 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Anniversary of Koivu’s return. 

Miss this guy

AND now the date Cole Caufield's first pro appearance ... one would hope this is good karma

• tomh009 changed the title to Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and playershttps://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?/topic/47278-where-are-they-now-news-on-past-habs-prospects-and-players/&do=getNewComment
  • tomh009 changed the title to Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players