Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I sure hope he will be ok, the guy had a huge heart. He played at big man's game weighing 180 lbs, that doesn't usually translate to a long NHL career. 

That he did ... and no it doesn't ... but the huge heart won't help if the brain has been bounced around too much ... I wish him the best but fear the worst in the decades to come

Just now, Trizzak said:

I'll move on one day, maybe.

You're entitled to your favourites ... we all have them. 

19 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Tomas Plekanec (and Jaromir Jagr) helped Kladno gain re-entry into the top level of the Czech league. Didn't realize Tomas hadn't retired from hockey after Montreal.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/31359668/jaromir-jagr-leads-own-club-back-top-czech-league-49

Ha - Pleks playing with Jagr at last! Good for him. He was a quality Hab for sure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha - Pleks playing with Jagr at last! Good for him. He was a quality Hab for sure.

I didn’t realize that Jagr was STILL playing! Would have thought he would have been done by now.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I didn’t realize that Jagr was STILL playing! Would have thought he would have been done by now.

From what I could find, Jagr is the owner of the Kladno Knights of the 1st Czech Republic Hockey League, where is playing this season ... so hard to keep him off the team if he wants to play.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad news 

He played before my time, but the times I saw him in interviews he seemed like a class act

• 1 month later...

More sad news ... RIP Tom Kurvers

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

More sad news ... RIP Tom Kurvers

Sad to hear.  

I remember when Chelios, Kurvers and Svoboda came up therewas talk they could become the next “big 3”.  Chelios was the only one who ended up being a hall of fame player, but I remember Kurvers as a very good young player. He was injured in 1986 cup winning year and was traded the following year.  We had a regular stream of good D prospects back than!

Saw a post in the game thread about Drouin, and looked him up. Seems he is somewhere in the south of the USA according to this article

I hope he works out his situation and that he can resume his life and career

https://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/une-pensee-pour-jonathan-drouin-qui-na-pas-la-chance-de-participer-a-tout-ca/

• 3 weeks later...

Goodbye Jordan Weal, enjoy the KHL and stay safe

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Goodbye Jordan Weal, enjoy the KHL and stay safe

Agreed ... an honest professional who got oversold to Habs fans as an offensive player worthy of PP time ... best wishes Jordan.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wonder if Habs would/should offer him a job ... scout ... organizational defence development ... think an NHL coaching position might be too much too soon.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Wonder if Habs would/should offer him a job ... scout ... organizational defence development ... think an NHL coaching position might be too much too soon.

If I was Markov and Bergevin offered me a job, I would tell him to stick it. To not even give him a tryout after what he gave to this organization was asinine.  Even if you are committed to youth at the position, at least let him practice and play a pre-season game or two to give him a chance to show other teams he still had something left in the tank. He was treated very poorly by the organization in the end.

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

That's just weird. Sounds shady. 

Yeah, that's idiotic that a penalty as a player apply to coaching. Should just be a meaningless suspension from playing to prevent him from un-retiring.

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ummm..  bergevin offered Markov a one year contract, far more than just a tryout.  Markov said 2 years or i go to.russia.  i don't see mistreatment.

Yes, 2017 was just business. Two sides playing chicken and neither gave in. I'm referring to 2019 when he tried to make an NHL comeback and they wouldn't even invite him to camp on a try-out. 

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

By 2019 he was washed though

His 2018-19 in Russia was bad.

I'm not saying give him a contract and a spot in the lineup. Of course he was washed up by that point. But that isn't the point. The guy gave them 17 years and they couldn't even offer him a courtesy tryout to see if he convince anyone around the league that he put something back in the tank? Plus, he would have been like another coach at training camp and could have given guys like Mete and Fleury another perspective besides the physical, shot-heavy games that Perry and Weber play. 

I'm not gonna get worked up that they didn't feel like he had anything to give them at training camp when it was clear his career was done. 

I love the guy, have his name on a jersey, but he was done. 

• tomh009 changed the title to Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and playershttps://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?/topic/47278-where-are-they-now-news-on-past-habs-prospects-and-players/&do=getNewComment
  • tomh009 changed the title to Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players