Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

The thing about this contract is that Carolina can buy the deal out for 1/3 the cost during the first half of the deal.   To me that greatly reduces the risk they are taking.  Of course this depends on the way the deal is structured and the size of any signing bonuses. 

To me the real risk is on KK's side.  If he turns into a good player he is locked in at a low salary.  If he stagnates, he'll get bought out for 1/3 the value of the deal.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Commandant said:

... The hit doesnt seem dirty to me, no head contact. The big issue seems to be carolina is not happy hes throwing a big hit with 1 second left in a 6-1 game. 

Beyond the time, a not inconsequential aspect, the issue I can see is that it is on a defenceless opponent.

26 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Hit happened with 6 seconds left.   Its pretty clear the Canes are still playing and trying to score.  Should Washington just let Necas get a hat trick?

No ... but that doesn't mean they get to hit a defenceless player bent over reaching for the puck

• tomh009 changed the title to Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and playershttps://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?/topic/47278-where-are-they-now-news-on-past-habs-prospects-and-players/&do=getNewComment
  • tomh009 changed the title to Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players
53 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

No ... but that doesn't mean they get to hit a defenceless player bent over reaching for the puck

I think it is pretty ridiculous to describe this hit in those terms.  KK is trying to play the puck and Eller hits him.   I don't see any evidence this hit was unlike most other hits.  The other Canes seeing it didn't react at all.  It wasn't until it became clear that KK was hurt that anyone was worried about the hit. 

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Michael  McCarron with 2 goals tonight including a shorty?  WTF   Is it a full moon tonight. 

He seems to be establishing himself as a viable NHL 4th-liner at age 27. Typical Habs first-rounder in other words 🤪

48 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

JHe seems to be establishing himself as a viable NHL 4th-liner at age 27 ...

JUST ... his 9:14 TOI 5-on-5 is 12th amongst Preds forwards with 30 games ... 13th amongst those with 25 games

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He seems to be establishing himself as a viable NHL 4th-liner at age 27. Typical Habs first-rounder in other words 🤪

It has taken a while but that trade is paying off on both sides (the Habs got Dauphin for him).

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

That pick cost me a tv remote.

Shea Theodore would certainly look good on the habs blueline.

36 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

So would Cale Makar but I doubt if either are happening. 

Habs passed open Theodore to select McCaron ... Anaheim took him with the next pick ... this many were frustrated with the "size" pick.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Habs passed open Theodore to select McCaron ... Anaheim took him with the next pick ... this many were frustrated with the "size" pick.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I understand the context of your post now, didn't realize Theodore was taken right after.  Yes, that would have been a much better pick. 

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I understand the context of your post now, didn't realize Theodore was taken right after.  Yes, that would have been a much better pick. 

It’s easy to say that should have picked Theodore, although I’ve never been sure that it’s fair to blame a team for passing on a guy who, at the time, was part of a bunch of players who were all kind of ranked interchangeably. On the other hand, the Habs went off the board - out of their way - to take McCarron that high, and apart from Theodore they could have chosen Ryan Hartman.

In retrospect, that pick was an early indicator that Bergevin was not the new-school, forward looking hockey man I’d hoped…

I think it's mostly that McCarron was an old-school (and ultimately poor) pick, as you say, rather than that they missed out on an obvious one in Theodore, who had been passed up by everyone else, too (with some even worse picks selected instead).

But this is also a lesson in the unpredictability of late first-round picks: they are far from being guaranteed to become NHL regulars: six of the bottom 10 first-rounders in 2013 have failed to make it to 200 games played.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think it's mostly that McCarron was an old-school (and ultimately poor) pick, as you say, rather than that they missed out on an obvious one in Theodore, who had been passed up by everyone else, too (with some even worse picks selected instead).

But this is also a lesson in the unpredictability of late first-round picks: they are far from being guaranteed to become NHL regulars: six of the bottom 10 first-rounders in 2013 have failed to make it to 200 games played.

Don't think anyone said Theodore was an obvious pick ... but he was rated close to where the Habs selected McCaron as opposed to McCaron being a significant reach.