Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Here's a more fulsome look. Hughes was hurt on the play. That's why PK responded as he did. For my money, it was a clean hit.

didn't know PK was such a team player... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Lehkonen 2g+3a in 9 games, playing 17-18 minutes/game, a bigger role than he had in Montreal even though the Avs are a stronger team. I suspect that the Avalanche think they got good value in this trade.

Maybe this will have been a win-win trade?

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Lehkonen 2g+3a in 9 games, playing 17-18 minutes/game, a bigger role than he had in Montreal even though the Avs are a stronger team. I suspect that the Avalanche think they got good value in this trade.

Maybe this will have been a win-win trade?

There’s no question he is an excellent player. Hopefully it will be a win-win.

He’s a guy I hated to lose, but one that had to be moved given the return, what it would cost to resign him, our current cap situation, where we are today, and where we will be for at least the next two to three years. 

It would have been great if we could have moved Armia, Hoffman, or Gallagher instead, but that wasn’t going to be an option.

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There’s no question he is an excellent player. Hopefully it will be a win-win.

He’s a guy I hated to lose, but one that had to be moved given the return, what it would cost to resign him, our current cap situation, where we are today, and where we will be for at least the next two to three years. 

It would have been great if we could have moved Armia, Hoffman, or Gallagher instead, but that wasn’t going to be an option.

I agree, one of my favourite players but it was one of those tough decisions that had to be made especially given the return they got. I am cheering for him in Colorado. 

Hopefully HuGo can work some magic on the other contracts in the summer.  Gallagher will be a tough one to move. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

They're down Landeskog and Kadri right now so he's playing a bigger role (including PP1) as a result.

51 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, this piece pretty much makes Bergevin out to be the world's biggest A-hole: 

New Canadiens management team welcomes back CH legends | Montreal Gazette

The article certainly doesn't make him look good does it.  The past is tremendously important as it should be inspiring to the new players. Disappointed to read this about past management. Wonder if there is another side to the story here. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The article certainly doesn't make him look good does it.  The past is tremendously important as it should be inspiring to the new players. Disappointed to read this about past management. Wonder if there is another side to the story here. 

Philipe Cantin's book is cited multiple times, dating back to the early MB days. I wonder why Stu Cowan doesn't cite other sources.

I believe the article, I remember that there was quite some noise by alumni about getting access to their room; but if I remember correctly, that was sorted out in the last few years. Certainly Bob Gainey's speech before last year's cup run is a highlight of how much better it got.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Bergevin was hired after the centennial fiasco. There was a movie made at that time and the buzz at training camp the season after the centennial was that all the players that were in the movie were traded or let walk. There was a sense of entitlement in the room that MB cleared. Meritocracy was the new modus operandi

Does anyone else remember those days?

59 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Philipe Cantin's book is cited multiple times, dating back to the early MB days. I wonder why Stu Cowan doesn't cite other sources.

I believe the article, I remember that there was quite some noise by alumni about getting access to their room; but if I remember correctly, that was sorted out in the last few years. Certainly Bob Gainey's speech before last year's cup run is a highlight of how much better it got.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Bergevin was hired after the centennial fiasco. There was a movie made at that time and the buzz at training camp the season after the centennial was that all the players that were in the movie were traded or let walk. There was a sense of entitlement in the room that MB cleared. Meritocracy was the new modus operandi

I think things may have started better with MB vis-a-vis the alumni but I don't know how long it lasted ... by March 2016 Guy Lafleur made the rather scathing "The way I look at it right now, there’s no first line, second line, third line. I think they have four fourth lines" assessment of MB's roster.

I don't really see so much concrete negative content about Bergevin there. The alumni access -- if that was him -- is a bit petty, but, other than that, the only thing there is Savard complaining that Bergevin was ungrateful and didn't call him after being hired.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't remember the movie around the centennial and some of that stuff but I remember there was an issue of alumni having too much access to players and at times, telling them things that differed from the coaching staff.  Bergevin shut that down, perhaps a bit to the opposite extreme, but as you noted, it had seemingly gotten a bit better.  It's a frequent complaint from Savard who makes an appearance every so often to complain about the same stuff over and over again...he's not the only alumnus who has been guilty of that either.

The centennial happened under Gainey in 2008-09 and 09-10.

Gauthier took over part way through the 09-10 season.

Not sure how much it.had to do with his hiring over 2 years later at the end of.the 11-12 season.

Since March 13th (19 games) Toffoli has 3 goals and 6 assists ... cooled off a little from the 8g, 4a in his first 13 games.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Since March 13th (19 games) Toffoli has 3 goals and 6 assists ... cooled off a little from the 8g, 4a in his first 13 games.

I had noticed that he hasn't been showing up on the scoresheet as much. I guess the new team excitement phase is over. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking for any news on Jesperi Kotkaniemi and haven't found much.

I noticed he was not listed on the roster for Tuesday night's game against the Rangers.

Has anyone followed Carolina through the first round? Did he play at all. 

I like him as a young man but do not like how he left so I have mixed emotions about him.

But I do wish him well. 

I try not to judge young adults (more or less 18 to 22 yr) too harshly. They are not yet the adult that will be remembered. Sports-wise, they are also just coming into the player that will be remembered.

If KK is screwing up his professional life, that is tragic for him. I wish him well but I am so glad the Habs were fortunate to get Dvorak, 2022 3rd round pick and a bit over $1M in cap space (difference between Dvorak's contract and KKs)

I have stopped looking up his stats, TOI or gameday scratch. I get more joy from seeing Dumont and Hudon play well against the Rocket that in watching KK spiral down to oblivion

that being said:

"Kotkaniemi recorded one assist, two shots and one block in 9:07 of ice time versus the Rangers on Wednesday."

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/hurricanes-jesperi-kotkaniemi-earns-helper-in-win/

image.png

Edited by alfredoh2009
added stats

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that being said:

"Kotkaniemi recorded one assist, two shots and one block in 9:07 of ice time versus the Rangers on Wednesday."

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/hurricanes-jesperi-kotkaniemi-earns-helper-in-win/

image.png

The least TOI of any 'Cane says more to me than the assist, shots or block ... it may be interesting to see if he earned more TOI for Game 2.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, GHT120 said:

The least TOI of any 'Cane says more to me than the assist, shots or block ... it may be interesting to see if he earned more TOI for Game 2.

Well he did ... 20 seconds ... of course that could just be a bad line change ... definitive 4th line minutes ... again.