Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

50 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I much rather play Schueneman that bring back Kulak

I'd rather have Kulak.

Kulak is like 1 year and 8 months older than Schueneman.... Kulak turned 28 in January, Schuneman turns 27 before the season starts. 

There is no real age advantage and Kulak is the clear better player. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'd rather have Kulak.

Kulak is like 1 year and 8 months older than Schueneman.... Kulak turned 28 in January, Schuneman turns 27 before the season starts. 

There is no real age advantage and Kulak is the clear better player. 

if we were debating a prospect or a draft pick, I would concede to your opinion

But not here, Schueneman has more grit in his name and produces as many points as Kulak (small sample size, though)

Also, he is as mobile although he seems a bit slower than Kulak. Schueneman seems to be better positioned and to be better defensively.

As a placeholder, for any of the kids, Schueneman is also a breed fit. Habs have at least four LD prospects that may push for an LD NHL spot.

I doubt Kula signs for more of the same, when with EDM and probably other players he would play more! 

I like Kulak, often defended him; but I do not think he is a fit with the Habs anymore 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'm not sure he's in big demand around the NHL. 

Perhaps ... but I don't want HoGo to overpay ($$$ or term) for him and expect he will get an offer more enticing than a rebuilding team whose depth is in LHD prospects.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:59 PM, Commandant said:

He played well for us, he played well for Edmonton and he's still relatively young and would come back cheap. 

Give him a one year deal and trade him at the deadline again. 

His consistent miscues drive me bonkers and to me simply a bottom pairing guy, which Habs have in spades.

Kulak is of little value and simply take up roster spot for one of Guhle, Harris, Edmundson, Romanov.

On 6/17/2022 at 8:39 AM, GHT120 said:

Perhaps ... but I don't want HoGo to overpay ($$$ or term) for him and expect he will get an offer more enticing than a rebuilding team whose depth is in LHD prospects.

I fully agree with @Commandant in regards to bringing Kulak back and that he is likely grossly undervalued by most teams.  I'd even consider bringing Kulak back long term.

Yes, the Habs have lots of LHD prospect, but the issue is when their ELCs run out they will all want way more $ than what Kulak would accept.  Even at this point, it should be obvious that if you fast forward 3-4 years all the Habs d prospects will want serious $ and the Habs wont be able to afford them all. 

Kulak could be signed at a 7th dman's pay, when he's much better than a 7th dman. 

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I fully agree with @Commandant in regards to bringing Kulak back and that he is likely grossly undervalued by most teams.  I'd even consider bringing Kulak back long term.

Yes, the Habs have lots of LHD prospect, but the issue is when their ELCs run out they will all want way more $ than what Kulak would accept.  Even at this point, it should be obvious that if you fast forward 3-4 years all the Habs d prospects will want serious $ and the Habs wont be able to afford them all. 

Kulak could be signed at a 7th dman's pay, when he's much better than a 7th dman. 

He’ll probably more than double his salary as a UFA and get term. That’s what NHL GM’s do with UFA dmen. If he comes back cheap. Sure. Hard pass If he is looking for significant increase and  term.

I saw 2 interesting articles regarding Perry this week.  The 1 article was Perry saying who it was that got him to go to the Bolts.  Perry played with Pat Maroon with the Ducks.   The 2nd article was somebody from the Habs org came out with a comment that they wanted to make Perry the Habs C if they had resigned him.

I honestly think that 1 of the main reasons why the Habs did so bad last year was because they lost Perry.  If Petry or other players weren't respecting or listening to Dom, I can imagine that the Perry wouldn't have put up with it.  If the Habs had Perry last season there likely would have been 1 of those bizarre clips where 2 teammates get into a legit fight during a practice.  

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I saw 2 interesting articles regarding Perry this week.  The 1 article was Perry saying who it was that got him to go to the Bolts.  Perry played with Pat Maroon with the Ducks.   The 2nd article was somebody from the Habs org came out with a comment that they wanted to make Perry the Habs C if they had resigned him.

I honestly think that 1 of the main reasons why the Habs did so bad last year was because they lost Perry.  If Petry or other players weren't respecting or listening to Dom, I can imagine that the Perry wouldn't have put up with it.  If the Habs had Perry last season there likely would have been 1 of those bizarre clips where 2 teammates get into a legit fight during a practice.  

It wasn’t just Petry who quit on DD. Who’s to say Perry wouldn’t have been as fed up with the DD as well.

The team was gutted by the loss of the entire leadership core that drove it to the Finals.

-Price

-Weber

-Danault

-and yes, Perry

Perry was the least important of the four, but still important. He elevated our bottom-6 and gave us the kind of impactful depth you need to make a long run, while also clearly supplying the exemplary veteran leadership of a guy who’s been there before.

This is an unbelievable nucleus for any team to lose over summer (its franchise G, its Captain and top-4 defenceman, its best all-around C, and its key veteran depth). It would have been hard for any coach to avoid disaster under those conditions, but DD certainly was not up to the task.

So yeh, we missed Perry big-time. One of MB’s most underrated moves during his brilliant year of 2020. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The team was gutted by the loss of the entire leadership core that drove it to the Finals.

-Price

-Weber

-Danault

-and yes, Perry

Perry was the least important of the four, but still important. He elevated our bottom-6 and gave us the kind of impactful depth you need to make a long run, while also clearly supplying the exemplary veteran leadership of a guy who’s been there before.

This is an unbelievable nucleus for any team to lose over summer (its franchise G, its Captain and top-4 defenceman, its best all-around C, and its key veteran depth). It would have been hard for any coach to avoid disaster under those conditions, but DD certainly was not up to the task.

So yeh, we missed Perry big-time. One of MB’s most underrated moves during his brilliant year of 2020. 

on behalf of the Bergeving fans: thank you!

Animated Gif Crying Baby Girl Gif

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I actually think that Perry knew last year how terrible DD was IN SPITE of the SC run. 

The moment DD had a contract for 22-23 and beyond, Perry was not going to be a part of the Habs. 

9 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

The moment DD had a contract for 22-23 and beyond, Perry was not going to be a part of the Habs. 

I tend to agree.  I don't think there is any way Perry was coming back to Montreal. He saw the ship was sinking because of all the injuries etc and wanted a chance to win the cup. He made the right move. 

19 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

-Price

-Weber

-Danault

-and yes, Perry

I definitely agree, but I would have to specify thats on-ice importance.  I'd say Perry was more important than Danault off ice.  i.e. I haven't read anything about Caufield calling him Mr Danault. 

When you look at the Habs ages this year, Perry was the oldest, then Petry, Price, Edmundsun, and Hoffman - they are all over 30.  

For most of the season, the only Habs that were playing and over 30 that had been on the team for years was Petry.  I could be wrong,  but it seems like Petry was the biggest dissenter of them all.  The Habs needed him to step up on the leadership front and act like he was the teams C but instead he was the leader of the rebellion against DD.  

If Perry had been resigned and was named the C he likely would have kept Petry inline with either his knuckles or the back of his hand.  Its an unarguable fact that Perry is a professional, takes it seriously,and vehemently believes in the code; which includes listening to the coach. 

4 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

For most of the season, the only Habs that were playing and over 30 that had been on the team for years was Petry. 

I recall there was some guy called "Ben", too ...

I have no time for Petry -a fine player who revealed himself to be a sulky baby this year, crapping out when we needed him most, and a Trumpist moron to boot. However, I doubt that Perry alone would have been enough to keep him in line, or to right a ship that was badly taking on water. You need a critical mass of leaders to achieve that.

Indeed, the critical mass (which probably included Chiarot) was sufficiently impressive that I believe Weber et al. basically coached the team to the Finals, like Robinson and Gainey did when saddled with a clown coach in 1986.

Perry and Chiarot would not have been enough.

And in sheer hockey terms, 2021 was the spectacular last gasp of an aging core. Perry could probably see that a repeat wasn’t in the cards - he just had to look at Weber’s broken body, Danault’s contract situation, and Price’s combination of physical and addiction issues to know. He did the smart thing and left town.  

I'm praying for back to back Colorado wins. Would live for Lehkonen to address the media with " we didn't want want to go back to Tampa. Pfft. Those fans acted like that one win was the Stanley cup. They won their cup last series." 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I recall there was some guy called "Ben", too ...

Good point, I forgot to list him, but he didn't step up enough in the leadership role either.

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have no time for Petry -a fine player who revealed himself to be a sulky baby this year, crapping out when we needed him most, and a Trumpist moron to boot. However, I doubt that Perry alone would have been enough to keep him in line, or to right a ship that was badly taking on water. You need a critical mass of leaders to achieve that.

Petry is the oldest and was likely the biggest leader/role model in the dressing room that other players looked up to, but he was leading the others away from what DD was trying to do.   If Perry was around, he would have been the 1 they looked up to - especially if he was the C.

In a way the situation sort of reminds me of when Patches was traded.  I'll be shocked if Petry isn't traded.

I love Hughes lack of candor too and keeping the advantage.  i.e. he isnt out right admitting that they want to dump Petry, which denies other teams the advantage and opportunity for lowball offers if they knew Hughes is desperate to move him.  

Same with his comments in regards to talks with NJ.  I thought he 1 comment was great, where he admitted he had talks with NJ, but assured that the talks were not about trading the #1 pick.   That reminded me of something Sutter would say.   

On 6/22/2022 at 7:26 PM, Commandant said:

The idea that Petry was the main player unimpressed with DD just isnt accurate.  It was at least half the team, if not more, and it wasnt just one person leading the revolt.

references, please

Perry’s situation is funny, but on the other hand, they showed his wife crying in the stands as the Avs raised the Cup. That brings home just how painful it is to lose, not just for the player himself, but for his loved ones. 

There’s such a difference, I find, between the 20-something and the 30-something Cup winners. The kids are having a great party. The 30-somethings are men, with family and kids, who can see the end of what is always a short career coming. Whether they’ve won or lost, it means something much more profound to them.

It makes me think of Weber and Price, too. They are probably still coming to terms with the reality of both their failure to win it all, and the petering-out their playing careers.

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Watch the games.

Look at the stats.

The team as a whole worked much harder for St. Louis.  It wasnt one player.

that speaks about how they reacted to MSL, not necessarily how they viewed DD.

that's fine, no need to look for references, suffice it to day that it is your opinion, not facts taht : " The idea that Petry was the main player unimpressed with DD just isnt accurate."