Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

8 minutes ago, DON said:

I always will wonder if a smarter development route for Galchenyuk, would of made any difference at all?

I have wondered the same thing. The guy had talent but there was something missing; maturity, hockey IQ ??  Some time in the AHL before the Habs gave him a spot wouldn't have hurt.  He wasn't the only guy the Habs have rushed in the last 10 years.

21 minutes ago, DON said:

I always will wonder if a smarter development route for Galchenyuk, would of made any difference at all?

I think it would have helped, but not drastically changed his ceiling. Maybe raised his floor a bit so he was more well-rounded. 

39 minutes ago, DON said:

With the numerous media references to the influence his father had over him I have to wonder if there was much chance ... not to say that they didn't do a poor job of developing him.

The Daddy issues have been a consistent rumour following him through his career, so I doubt a proper development trajectory would have helped that.

We'll never know, but my view on this is simple. Letting a prospect marinade in the minors has zero downside. No risk, none. Bringing a prospect up too soon, however, can indeed do significant damage to their development.

Beyond the Daddy thing, the further complication with Galy is that he had below-average hockey sense. He was a guy with good hands and a couple of nice moves, but he always tried to make the individual play, trying to deke out the opposition like a precocious kid playing road hockey. Unless you're McDavid or Mackinnon, that doesn't work in this league. He never adjusted.

Would time in the AHL have given him the space to figure that out? I dunno, but with good, diligent coaching (which we did not have under that clown Lefebvre) it's possible, I suppose.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... We'll never know, but my view on this is simple. Letting a prospect marinade in the minors has zero downside. No risk, none. Bringing a prospect up too soon, however, can indeed do significant damage to their development ...

Totally agree ... in fact, having only played 2 games the year before he was drafted, I would have let him finish out the 12/13 season with Sarnia ... with the start to the season (33gm, 27g, 34a, 61pts) he had it would have been a dominant year ... the Sting made the playoffs without him and they might well have "bulked up" to take a run or moved him to a OHL/Memorial Cup  contender ... I've always thought it would have been best for him ... AHL wasn't an option, but as Bergevin's first draft selection there was pressure to see him in Montreal.

15 hours ago, DON said:

A good # of games in the AHL by Gallagher (36)/Subban(77) likely helped them transition to NHL.

Gally was a rare case of a guy who seems to have been fully-formed from the egg. It was probably almost impossible to ruin his development, since he seems to have intuitively understood that he had to outwork the opposition every shift and to drive the frigging net no matter what. Subban, no doubt the season in the A helped. When he arrived on the Habs he instantly became our second-best defenceman (despite Therrien’s petulant determination to pretend otherwise). Both seem to be cases of guys who forced their way upward through their play. Certainly they weren’t handed it.

Carey Price didn’t spend much time in the A at all. But we should remember how close Price came to flaming out in 2009 and 2010. He went through his growing pains in the NHL and managed to survive and blossom into an all-star, but it was a very near thing. We almost blew it.   

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Kotkaniemi doubled his season goal total today. He's now on track for eight goals and eight assists for the full season, at the cost of about $300,000 per point.

So about half of that for which the "hugely" disappointing Christian Dvorak is on pace.

2 hours ago, DON said:

bit of trivia

https://theathletic.com/3932731/2022/11/24/canadiens-kirby-dach-blackhawks/?source=weeklyemail&campaign=602288

"In the last 10 years, Dach and Kotkaniemi are the only two forwards who arrived in the NHL at 18 and changed teams after only three years."

If KK stayed and signed with Montreal, do they make the moves to pickup Dach? I think no. Time will tell, but so far so good on these two.

17 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

If KK stayed and signed with Montreal, do they make the moves to pickup Dach? I think no. Time will tell, but so far so good on these two.

Well ... assuming the rest of the variables (standings, draft position, bergie being fired, etc.) stayed the same ... they wouldn't have Dvorak and likely would still have the need for a legit 2C ... so perhaps.

THAT SAID, I am certainly happier having Dach then I would be having kk.

And Dvorak is fine as a 2C/3C -- at this point certainly a better choice than Kotkaniemi. Whether the latter can transform himself into a 2C remains to be seen. (Carolina likely should have signed Trocheck and traded Kotkaniemi for whatever they could get for him, but I think that would have been admitting defeat/stupidity in the offer sheet drama.)

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, DON said:

Aves lineup tonight

Hudon & Galchenyuk getting a chance to play.

Pending (?) waivers or injuries for AG

?)

49 minutes ago, DON said:

Holy hit Batman!

Beautiful hit.

Hate that is appears someone was coming after Romanov, drives me crazy when guys have to fight after a clean hit, although admittedly don’t know that happened here but looks that way.  And can’t stand announcers who act like the hitter should have to fight and praise the attacker for defending teammates who got caught with clean hit.

Had visions of Slaf getting lit up like this, cutting to middle and head down. Hopefully never happens and player was lucky Romy isn’t a dirty hitter although that one still hurt.

Ouuccchhhh ... Romanov didn't think the puck could hurt more but then it went into the net