Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

happy for chucky :clap:

I am not surprised that AG could dominate at the AHL level ... TJ Tynan (1 assist in 21 NHL games over his 10-year pro career) has been even better, 68 points in 58 games ... if Alex plays with MacKinnon there could be a "Warren Young"-like effect ... but I expect Galchenyuk will likely produce at the 0.3-.4 pts/gm level he has over his last 3 NHL seasons, with all his other usual deficiencies.

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I am not surprised that AG could dominate at the AHL level ... TJ Tynan (1 assist in 21 NHL games over his 10-year pro career) has been even better, 68 points in 58 games ... if Alex plays with MacKinnon there could be a "Warren Young"-like effect ... but I expect Galchenyuk will likely produce at the 0.3-.4 pts/gm level he has over his last 3 NHL seasons, with all his other usual deficiencies.

none the less, I am happy for the ol' chap

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

none the less, I am happy for the ol' chap

Didn't say you shouldn't be ... I'm not, but to each their own.

Seems Juulsen is healthy but for some stupid reason forced to fight for this:

I agree that you shouldn't have to fight after a clean hit, with one exception: if you clobber a non-physical star player. E.g., someone lays out Suzuki, I expect that guy to get his ass handed to him.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

someone lays out Suzuki, I expect that guy to get his ass handed to him.

Exactly as the owners want to see, otherwise it would be dealt with by officials and the league, as it is in every other team sport.

If Suzuki gets smoked with a clean hit, is on him. Slafkovsky also needs to learn to keep his head up.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree that you shouldn't have to fight after a clean hit, with one exception: if you clobber a non-physical star player. E.g., someone lays out Suzuki, I expect that guy to get his ass handed to him.

Emotionally I understand ... but hockey is a physical game ... they need to get rid of the cheap shots and predatory hits, but if a hit is clean, it is clean ... now, something I do think they need to closely examine is charging ... back in my "yewt" players had to take quite a run to generate the speed to "freight train" an opponent ... the "charge" was more obvious ... modern skates, better ice and stronger players mean that is no longer the case ... modernize the charge.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Seems Juulsen is healthy but for some stupid reason forced to fight for this:

Yeah, the instigator rule was supposed to help with that but is not used effectively by officials.

It should be called on plays like this where regardless of whether hitter is willing combatant they are

Being challenged because of clean hit.

That should be an extra 2 minutes to Dallas, w it h refs discretion to add misconducts. 

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Clean hit on a star player trying to dangle, honestly I can live

with.

Taking liberties in corners, taking the extra step to have contact warrant a reply from

our side.  That’s why you can’t have a team of smurfs, regardless of era.

6 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Clean hit on a star player trying to dangle, honestly I can live

with.

Taking liberties in corners, taking the extra step to have contact warrant a reply from

our side.  That’s why you can’t have a team of smurfs, regardless of era.

That’s a fair distinction. Dangling mid ice, head down, of course you’re gonna get hit. And yes, players have a responsibility to be aware out there.

I do think, though, that a team needs to make sure opponents aren’t just taking runs (clean or otherwise) at non-physical stars. In this context, I always recall Gino Odjick demolishing Koivu with a clean hit behind the net and Shane Corson, God bless him, immediately swooping in and taking Odjick on. I probably sound like a dinosaur - in fact, I don’t even like fighting any more - but I think it’s in everyone’s interest for teams to know that if they bulldoze a Nick Suzuki, there will be consequences.

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Emotionally I understand ... but hockey is a physical game ... they need to get rid of the cheap shots and predatory hits, but if a hit is clean, it is clean ... now, something I do think they need to closely examine is charging ... back in my "yewt" players had to take quite a run to generate the speed to "freight train" an opponent ... the "charge" was more obvious ... modern skates, better ice and stronger players mean that is no longer the case ... modernize the charge.

The NFL is a more physical sport but fights are rare.

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

The NFL is a more physical sport but fights are rare.

I was not advocating for fighting ... I was saying a clean hit is not an excuse to fight no matter who gets hit ... BUT ... also, there are currently "clean" hits that I feel fall under the original intent of "charging" that need to be penalized ... ALSO ... the NHL needs to hand out more instigator penalties in the BS "how dare you clean hit my teammate" scenarios, maybe even automatic suspensions if the same player accumulates instigator penalties.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I was not advocating for fighting ... I was saying a clean hit is not an excuse to fight no matter who gets hit ... BUT ... also, there are currently "clean" hits that I feel fall under the original intent of "charging" that need to be penalized ... ALSO ... the NHL needs to hand out more instigator penalties in the BS "how dare you clean hit my teammate" scenarios, maybe even automatic suspensions if the same player accumulates instigator penalties.

Calling the instigator penalty would put an end to “automatic retaliations” for clean hits. Agree.

Typical NHL refs, picking and choosing which rules to enforce for arbitrary reasons 🙄

It would also leave open the “protect your stars” option I’m talking about. Someone has Suzuki in a vulnerable position and crushes him to pulp, Wifi can still send a message - “f*k with Nick, you f**k with me” - and take the penalty as an acceptable cost of deterrence. I’m down with that. 

So yeah, call the instigator FFS.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Someone has Suzuki in a vulnerable position and crushes him to pulp, Wifi can still send a message - “f*k with Nick, you f**k with me” - and take the penalty as an acceptable cost of deterrence. I’m down with that. 

So yeah, call the instigator FFS.

Again, that is a teenager mentality.

Tom Brady gets steamrolled...does a 6"8" 375lb O-lineman jump on top of the d-lineman?

NO, because it isnt allowed to happen by the owners.

1 punch in the NFL-MLB-NBA and is instant fine and suspensions, as it should be. Till NHL owners (and fans like CC and vast majority it seems) want it to change or is some fatality to force a change, it aint happening. 

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I had no idea that Ribeiro had these kind of issues but looking more into it, there have been long standing allegations following him his whole career 

Yes, indeed. I recall hearing things along these lines at the street level in Montreal from guys connected to the Montreal Portuguese community back in the day. I didn’t make too much of it at the time, since there are always rumours of various sorts around local celebrities; but certainly it’s of a piece with the “behavioural” question marks that have always followed Ribs around. Yuck.

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes, indeed. I recall hearing things along these lines at the street level in Montreal from guys connected to the Montreal Portuguese community back in the day. I didn’t make too much of it at the time, since there are always rumours of various sorts around local celebrities; but certainly it’s of a piece with the “behavioural” question marks that have always followed Ribs around. Yuck.

I still remember the whole team Koivu vs team Ribeiro locker room rift. I was so glad when we got rid of this turd - although it hurt that we got less than a bag of picks for him. Of course the French media was pro-Ribeiro and his French amigos.

18 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I still remember the whole team Koivu vs team Ribeiro locker room rift. I was so glad when we got rid of this turd - although it hurt that we got less than a bag of picks for him. Of course the French media was pro-Ribeiro and his French amigos.

Yeah, well, none of that excuses trading a legitimate 2nd-line C for a used jock strap, especially when your organization desperately needed talent at C. That was a crippling trade in hockey terms.

The Three Amigos were obviously a real problem, though, and illustrates a danger with French Canadian “stars” in Montreal - they can too easily fall into the trap of thinking they’re gods, because they’re worshipped and fawned over everywhere they go, even more than the average Hab already is. That said, the entire Gainey Rebuild 1.0 was riddled with appalling issues in team culture. We had f*ck-ups like Theo, Ribs, the Kostitsyns, with a drama queen like Kovalev acting as a “team leader,” while leaving the Franchise (Price) to live on his own as a 19-year-old in Old Montreal - no wonder it all went to pot. God knows how Koivu put up with it, or how Bob Gainey could allow the rot to set in like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, well, none of that excuses trading a legitimate 2nd-line C for a used jock strap, especially when your organization desperately needed talent at C. That was a crippling trade in hockey terms.

The Three Amigos were obviously a real problem, though, and illustrates a danger with French Canadian “stars” in Montreal - they can too easily fall into the trap of thinking they’re gods, because they’re worshipped and fawned over everywhere they go, even more than the average Hab already is. That said, the entire Gainey Rebuild 1.0 was riddled with appalling issues in team culture. We had f*ck-ups like Theo, Ribs, the Kostitsyns, with a drama queen like Kovalev acting as a “team leader,” while leaving the Franchise (Price) to live on his own as a 19-year-old in Old Montreal - no wonder it all went to pot. God knows how Koivu put up with it, or how Bob Gainey could allow the rot to set in like that.

I hated that we got nothing for Ribeiro, but was happy he was gone. It’s been hard living through the last25 years of managerial bumbling where both the NHL and the AHL clubs have sucked. Particularly when you grow up reading about the fleecing Pollack used to do (only real significant misstep was not drafting Bossy even though he had desperately wanted to be a hab), and watching Savard turn a Kordic into Courtnall.  

But aside from the trades, the habs used to be a model of not just finding talent, but also in developing talent. Robinson, Gainey, Roy, Lemieux, Desjardins, all their stint in the minors, guys like Chelios, Kurvers, were left to develop in college and with the Olympic program. 

Now it just seems there is a rush to through players immediately into the NHL. Not an issue if they are ready, but a lot of players could have benefited with another year or two in college, juniors, or Europe. Galchenyuk was injured for most of his later half of his junior career. He is a guy who should have been left in junior. KK should have been left in Europe. We have won some trades, but overall are losing the battle to develop and build a team.

With the exception of Slafkovsky and rushing guys that have been injured into the lineup, I like what the new Mgmt team is doing. I like that they have skills coaches working with young players. It would be nice to be able to better gauge how much of an improvement they’ve made in developing players in Laval. They have definitely improved, but when your base reference point for measuring improvement is that useless clown Lefebve, it’s hard to tell if there has been meaningful improvement in Laval or not.

we have a lot of good raw talent with potential. I’m hoping that we finally have the management team to develop those  players closer to their ceiling, than their floor.

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ran into him plenty of times at Gallery on st-Laurent in his prime.  Usually on Sunday nights. 

He was a hot mess then and a hot mess he remains. 

Cocky, arrogant and entitled. 

• Like 1

Love the idea of Price transitioning into either coaching or management. He always struck me as an unusual person - his life story is pretty remarkable - whose calm demeanour, experience, and intelligence would bring a lot to the table.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Love the idea of Price transitioning into either coaching or management. He always struck me as an unusual person - his life story is pretty remarkable - whose calm demeanour, experience, and intelligence would bring a lot to the table.

Agreed, surely he would be a big help to the organization in some capacity.  Perhaps he is still holding out hope on playing again. Would he still be able to collect his player's salary if he held another position?  There might be some issues there.