Jump to content

Apr. 1st, Canadiens vs. Senators - 19h00 EDT


Recommended Posts

:habslogo: Let's keep the winning streak going :habslogo:

Montreal Canadiens NHL Fans GIF by NHL - Find & Share on GIPHY

Tkachuk - Norris - Dadonov

Paul - White - C. Brown

Stützle - Tierney - Batherson

Formenton - Bishop - Dzingel

 

Chabot - Zaitsev

Reilly - Zub

Coburn - J. Brown

 

Gustavsson / (Forsberg)

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Byron - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen

Frolik - Evans - Perry

 

Kulak - Petry

Edmundson - Weber

Mete - Romanov 

 

Allen / (Price)

 

I'll check line-ups closer to game time

 

Starting line-pair in bold

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • alfredoh2009 changed the title to Apr. 1st, Canadiens vs. Senators - 19h00 EDT
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start the next GDT ready, glad that we are on a winning streak  

"Montreal Canadiens, winners of 22 Stanley Cups, plus a couple of irrelevant ones."

Let's hope it isn't an April Fool's joke on the Habs 

 

Click here

 

Now that the terrible joke is out of the way ... who goes out (or to the taxi squad) if Toffoli is back ... I vote Byron ... both for the cap savings and to hope Lehkonen continues to play well and increase his value *if* MB needs to create cap space ... but not just space for space's sake. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

BOO +1

As long as win i dont care who plays.

 

If Lehkonen gets to play and plays like did last game, maybe help his trade value (sorry Artturi).

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

BOO

 

 

 

Just want him healthy when he does return ... the week off may actually have sort of set back his recovery as he was unable to skate to test how he was doing and get the needed treatment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

I very much like the pairing ... but for point of comparison I wonder what Petry's numbers were with Edmondson ... is it the partner or is it Petry

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I very much like the pairing ... but for point of comparison I wonder what Petry's numbers were with Edmondson ... is it the partner or is it Petry

 

Petry's numbers with Edmundson are good..... they are better with Kulak.

 

The numbers with Kulak are improved, vs without Kulak, for every single RHD that he plays with.  He is easily the best LHD on the team.  

 

That said Petry is the best defenceman on the team, he also improves all of his partners numbers... Edmundson is better with Petry than with Weber.  Kulak is good with others, but at his best with Petry, etc...

 

So with this pair, you have top LHD and top RHD together, and they are absolutely dominant together.   This is now the third season that we are seeing this, it's not a fluke. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Petry's numbers with Edmundson are good..... they are better with Kulak.

 

The numbers with Kulak are improved, vs without Kulak, for every single RHD that he plays with.  He is easily the best LHD on the team.  

 

That said Petry is the best defenceman on the team, he also improves all of his partners numbers... Edmundson is better with Petry than with Weber.  Kulak is good with others, but at his best with Petry, etc...

 

So with this pair, you have top LHD and top RHD together, and they are absolutely dominant together.   This is now the third season that we are seeing this, it's not a fluke. 

Thanks ... I agree its not a fluke ... but I do think it is perfect symbiosis ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It may also speak to the value of putting two quality puck-moving D-men together, in general. It’s a puck-possession game now, and puck possession starts with defencemen getting control of the puck in their zone. 

 

Guys like Chiarot and Edmundson are quality players, but they will never be able to give you that dynamic. One of the things the Habs have gotten wrong in recent years, IMHO, is favouring heavy, plodding D-men over puck-movers. Heck, they’ve bobbed Kulak in and out of the lineup. It’s odd.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:


Not a fan of Romanov - Mete but Ouellet isn’t any better 

 

 I like Mete, I prefer him on the left side. He played well last game. If only he could learn to absorb a hit a give a body check like Byron, Gionta and other smallish players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It may also speak to the value of putting two quality puck-moving D-men together, in general. It’s a puck-possession game now, and puck possession starts with defencemen getting control of the puck in their zone. 

 

Guys like Chiarot and Edmundson are quality players, but they will never be able to give you that dynamic. One of the things the Habs have gotten wrong in recent years, IMHO, is favouring heavy, plodding D-men over puck-movers. Heck, they’ve bobbed Kulak in and out of the lineup. It’s odd.  

 

The thing is when a guy like kulak who has the puck a lot.. makes a giveaway and it leads to a scoring chance.... its a glaring error and we remember it.  We dont remember all the times he skates the puck out or.creates a little play in the neutral zone or keeps a puck in at the other blue line that leads to.a.chance.

 

A d like chiarot.  Hes in the right position and he tries to.block the shot and he misses and another forward cashes the rebound.  Or he doesnt get a loose puck and clear it and it leads to a goal against but there is no glaring error.  We dont.see it with our eye test as a mistake.

 

But the advanced stats pick this up that puck movers even with glaring errors can be more effective than defensive d.  Only the elite defensive d with no offence (ie radko gudas and chris tanev) have any real value to a team.  Most other d you need some offence.out of them or they are just plodders.

 

Edmundson and chiarot do.just enough to not be plodders... but they dont do enough to make their partner better like petry and kulak do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

 I like Mete, I prefer him on the left side. He played well last game. If only he could learn to absorb a hit a give a body check like Byron, Gionta and other smallish players.

 

He usually plays the left and romanov the right when they are together.  I assume this is where they will play even if its written backwards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

He usually plays the left and romanov the right when they are together.  I assume this is where they will play even if its written backwards.

 

same here, that is what I expect

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not a fan of Romanov - Mete but Ouellet isn’t any better

Romanov-Mete is much better than Romanov-Ouellet. They have been our best defence pair for the last two games as measured by Corsi and xGF. Yes, I know advanced stats are not everything, but I do think they confirm that Romanov-Mete is not struggling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Romanov-Mete is much better than Romanov-Ouellet. They have been our best defence pair for the last two games as measured by Corsi and xGF. Yes, I know advanced stats are not everything, but I do think they confirm that Romanov-Mete is not struggling.


I’m surprised that their stats are that good!

 

They seem a bit chaotic to me in their own zone but if it’s working then it’s working. 
 

Hope they are solid tonight, we need to take advantage of our games in hand - we can challenge for first

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mete always seems to have decent analytics. 

 

The part that is the problem is that things like xG assume that all shooters have the same chance of scoring and the difference is the area of the ice (angle and distance from the net they are shooting from).  This is fine for most players, but a guy like Ovechkin will always overperform his xG cause his shot is great, and Mete will underperform cause his shot is weak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Mete always seems to have decent analytics. 

 

The part that is the problem is that things like xG assume that all shooters have the same chance of scoring and the difference is the area of the ice (angle and distance from the net they are shooting from).  This is fine for most players, but a guy like Ovechkin will always overperform his xG cause his shot is great, and Mete will underperform cause his shot is weak.

Quite true that Mete tends to be an analytics darling. But look at the high-danger scoring chances for/against on naturalstattrick.com, and they were 4-1 for Mete/Romanov (on ice) vs Vancouver, and 7-0 vs Edmonton. They really did play (relatively!) well together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Mete always seems to have decent analytics. 

 

The part that is the problem is that things like xG assume that all shooters have the same chance of scoring and the difference is the area of the ice (angle and distance from the net they are shooting from).  This is fine for most players, but a guy like Ovechkin will always overperform his xG cause his shot is great, and Mete will underperform cause his shot is weak.

I am not an analytics guy ... at all ... but IMO Mete is the Habs 7D once Chiarot is back

Link to post
Share on other sites

As crazy as this  might sound, we really need to show up tonight and beat up on teh lowly Sens! We need to show that the first few games where we struggled against the Hens was a fluke. Also, we need to take advantage of the games in hand!! We could be in 2nd position with a few wins!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...