Apr. 1st, Canadiens vs. Senators - 19h00 EDT

alfredoh2009

37 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Quite true that Mete tends to be an analytics darling. But look at the high-danger scoring chances for/against on naturalstattrick.com, and they were 4-1 for Mete/Romanov (on ice) vs Vancouver, and 7-0 vs Edmonton. They really did play (relatively!) well together.

Oh I'd keep them together for now, and I like Mete a lot better than Ouellet. 

I just think you need to use the eye test combined with analytics, its never just one, and the eye test on Mete shows some deficiencies that the analytics won't catch. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

The thing is when a guy like kulak who has the puck a lot.. makes a giveaway and it leads to a scoring chance.... its a glaring error and we remember it.  We dont remember all the times he skates the puck out or.creates a little play in the neutral zone or keeps a puck in at the other blue line that leads to.a.chance.

A d like chiarot.  Hes in the right position and he tries to.block the shot and he misses and another forward cashes the rebound.  Or he doesnt get a loose puck and clear it and it leads to a goal against but there is no glaring error.  We dont.see it with our eye test as a mistake.

I totaly agree.  Often times dman are only really noticed when they make a glaringly obvious mistake.    However, most of the good small things any dman does can for the most part go unnoticed. 

To notice the small good or bad things requires paying close attention to a dmans constant play.  That generally takes time from watching many games to really figure out.  Then I compare the # of good things vs # of bad.  ex:  1 good move vs 10 bad, or is it 1 good vs 100 bad. 

For that reason last season and the one before I was having difficulties trying to rank the Habs dmen.  After Weber and Petry I had no certainty in which 1 was 3-7th.  This year I've seen enough of them that I am able to rank them a lot better. 

I'd say Kulak is 3rd, Edmundson 4th, and Chiarot 5th - but that doesnt relate to pairings either.  Romanov is still a rookie so I'm still undecided on where he ranks.  Mete is sort of an enigma but he seems to be behind the others.  

Also, some people might give a dman a no harm no foul free pass on errors that don't lead to goals, but I don't.  When an unnecessary scoring chance happens it is an unnecessary scoring chance.  Those need to be reduced, and not just by dman either. 

43 minutes ago, Neech said:

Boy it gets tiresome to only play 20% of the possible opposition.  A Cup winner will only have faced 8 or 9 teams all year long.  I don't think we'll look back at this Cup as legitimate.

I wouldn't see it as illegitimate. The best of the best still meet in the playoffs.

Or would you consider all the cups before 1926 to be illegitimate, too?

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Fairly even period, too many good Sens chances though.

Agreed.  They had a few really good chances that a pass just missed or the defence barely was able to make a play on.

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

"Montreal Canadiens, winners of 22 Stanley Cups, plus a couple of irrelevant ones."

When it's the Maroons vs the Metropolitans, playing a glorified game of shinny with a piece of frozen elk meat for a puck, I tend to not take much stock.  I do appreciate the Cup's long and storied history, but a title when there were only six teams isn't worth as much as one with thirty. Honestly I feel like the media gases up these pre-expansion Cup numbers because that's when the Leafs won all of theirs.

1 minute ago, Neech said:

Evans is playing like he doesn't want to be sent down.

The question becomes where was THIS Evans for most of the season ... perhaps he was too comfortable because of the dearth of centres to challenge him for icetime

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The question becomes where was THIS Evans for most of the season ... perhaps he was too comfortable because of the dearth of centres to challenge him for icetime

Probably needed the break. Not unusual for a first year player’s play to drop off. Good problem to have with Stall and Taffoli soon to be coming.

I've noticed Drouin with several solid, even important, defensive plays ... good to see ... would tend to indicate his level of engagement

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Probably needed the break. Not unusual for a first year player’s play to drop off. Good problem to have with Stall and Taffoli soon to be coming.

Can’t wait because Frolik needs to retire or maybe he is super rusty. 

Sens are going to be a great team in a few years

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... Sens are going to be a great team in a few years

Challenge for Sens may be that the development curve for their young defence and goaltenders seems to be behind that for their young forwards ... and those often take a little longer 

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Challenge for Sens may be that the development curve for their young defence and goaltenders seems to be behind that for their young forwards ... and those often take a little longer 

Next year, against the whole league the Sens are going to surprise. 

They play Habs, Jets, Leafs really hard already and they are only getting better but you are right about their D not as great as the forwards 

22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Can’t wait because Frolik needs to retire or maybe he is super rusty.

Perry, on the other hand, not so rusty. Especially when being fed nice passes by Evans.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Perry, on the other hand, not so rusty. Especially when being fed nice passes by Evans.

When Staal is ready, do we move Evans to the wing on the 4th line?  Seems like he's playing too well to sit all of a sudden.  Then again, Byron and Lek are suddenly solid too.  Nice problem to have, when you can't find anyone who deserves to sit when you look at your lineup.