Habs interested in Sykora ?

CoRvInA

I'm not too sure who they would trade for Sykora or even how he could help. There are other players out there that could help more. Someone else mentioned calder is out there, i would much rather trade for him. Ribiero and Dags for calder and later pick. The new second line would be something like Calder, Plex and ryder. Then you get rid of some problems in the locker room as well. Especially with Ribiero's latest comments.

Sykora is waaaaaayyyyyyyy too expensive for what he brings. I'd stay quite clear of that one for now.....at the deadline.....seeing this is his last year on his contract.....yeah maybe.

I think it's afe to assume that something may be in the works. Not necessarily with Sykora mind you. With Ribeiro getting the "bonehead comment of the week" award I have to wonder if Gainey's patience is runing low.

Riberio's gaffes include:

1 - 03-04 practice tussle with Koivu.

2- His "seizure" during 03-04 Bruins playoff matchup. SHAME!

3- Puck hogging and over staying his welcome on shifts.

4- His "All Ryder's fault" comments.

Is there one I missed?

I don't doubt this happens. Expiring contracts are extremely valuable in a salary cap system. I can see BG shipping out somebody he deems expendable for Sykora's and his contract. Not like Sykora could do any worse than some of the guys in the lineup already... and cap-wise it would let Gainey go after a scorer in the summer.

I don't know if I'd be for this or against it, I guess it would depend who was sent the other way. But it's likely that Gainey has at least thought about it...

Originally posted by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I think it's afe to assume that something may be in the works. Not necessarily with Sykora mind you. With Ribeiro getting the "bonehead comment of the week" award I have to wonder if Gainey's patience is runing low.

One thing Gainey is is patient. He has proven that time and time again.

Just remember how he dealt with crazy Belfour in Dallas.

Gainey will make his moves when he knows what's best for the team. And always keeping the long term in site.

[Edited on 2005/12/6 by Habsterr]

Originally posted by les_glorieux
Originally posted by habsfan_69

Give burke Ribero and Vaginais for peter sykora and ill be happy promote perez to 2nd line IMO we dont need those 2 flakes nemore

best thing i've read all day.

Rumour has it Souray wants to go to California to be closer to his daughter so send him and Bonk total salary 4.5 mill to Anahiem for Sykora & R. Salei total salary 4.9 mill. This might be the only way to unload Bonk or we'll be stuck with him. I had heard rumours of Souray for Ozlinish but I'd take Salei who comes cheaper and is a real solid hard hitting d-man. Then unload Ribs, & his boyfriend Dags along with P. Vandermeer to Chicago for K. Calder and S. Thornton.

Originally posted by Tony

Doubt will happen. That's hefty price for Sykora.

Rumour has it Souray wants to go to California to be closer to his daughter so send him and Bonk total salary 4.5 mill to Anahiem for Sykora & R. Salei total salary 4.9 mill. This might be the only way to unload Bonk or we'll be stuck with him. I had heard rumours of Souray for Ozlinish but I'd take Salei who comes cheaper and is a real solid hard hitting d-man. Then unload Ribs, & his boyfriend Dags along with P. Vandermeer to Chicago for K. Calder and S. Thornton.

Originally posted by CoRvInA

rumours on BG interested in Sykora... if so... who we trading him for?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ana051205.html

Edited: Title

[Edited on 2005-12-5 by sakiqc]

If there was a trade for sykora to be made i think this long week off would be the time to do it. having the ducks @ home on sat will make the travel a lil easier wouldnt u think? All im saying if there is a deal to be made with the ducks all signs point to this week being the week

Please let this be just a rumor.

Eurk!!! is all I have to say about Sykora. Way too expensive for his contribution and we already have plenty of those players (Bonk, Theo, Souray), so please BG don't make our cap situation worse. Marleau is about as expensive, but 10 times better. Jokinen is cheaper and 10 times better.

Also, we don't need a winger (we have plenty in Zednik, Kovalev, Ryder, Perezhogin, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Dagenais, Bulis, Higgins, etc.), we need a good 2nd center to replace Ribs.

To be honest sykora wpould help this team short term, ive always liked him but his cost, plus age, and our youth movement(even though there not playing many minutes) makes this rumour pretty much null. The one for salei, or whatever, im sure many of us would like to have salei, and some even ozolinsh. I think our d needs an upgrade, lke another decent top 4 body added. I like komi, huge fan of bouillion, rivet(gets paid alot), but like him, everyone knows what markov can do, and dandy was a big pick up, but shouldnt be in our top 4. sourayis a servicable guy, but gets played to much like a number one defenseman, what we need is a offensive guy who can log some minutes

Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

Also, we don't need a winger (we have plenty in Zednik, Kovalev, Ryder, Perezhogin, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Dagenais, Bulis, Higgins, etc.), we need a good 2nd center to replace Ribs.

Of the wingers you listed, 2 are in the minors for no contribution this year, or even within the next 2. Zhog and Higgins get random ice time on various lines. Dagenais??? Ugh, won't touch that one. What we're left with is Kovy, Ryder, and a defensive winger in Bulis. To say the Habs don't need help at wing would be, IMO, an incorrect statement.

Originally posted by huzer
Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

Of the wingers you listed, 2 are in the minors for no contribution this year, or even within the next 2. Zhog and Higgins get random ice time on various lines. Dagenais??? Ugh, won't touch that one. What we're left with is Kovy, Ryder, and a defensive winger in Bulis. To say the Habs don't need help at wing would be, IMO, an incorrect statement.

You forgot Zednik and Latendresse is coming up next year probably. That makes 4 good wingers for next year. Also, Perezhogin is having a typical rookie season but can still play on the first 2 lines, same for Higgins. You can't say these guys can't play on the first 2 lines, they are still young and developing and Claude as not given them a fair chance so far. If we get another guy, Perezhogin and others will never get their chance.

All I'm saying is that we need to stop looking at the present and think long-term. We have depth at wingers but zero depth at center. I stand by my statement and I doubt that I'm the only one who sees it that way.

Wingers and goalie are the positions we have the most depth, why make a trade for one of these positions? To me it would be a stupid move to plug a hole for only one year. Why waste resources and young talent for a 1 year plug when we all know that BG is aiming for the cup in 2 years probably. He's still new to the team and stuck with old contracts signed before he arrived or under the old CBA. Give him time, and he will form a team that he wants. I don't think we are real Cup contenders (although you never what could happen) and I don't think BG sees a Cup contender either. He as a plan and sticking to it. Thank you BG for not trying to patch holes every year, otherwise you end up like the Maple Laffs. Good but not Cup caliber.

TSN.ca, Burke kept Sykora out of the line-up for the last game as he said he was close to trading him. Deal imminent? I'm not suggesting he's coming to Montreal...

But I have to agree with the posts that say Sykora might be a good fit in Montreal. Sure, he's expensive but he puts pucks in the net, something we've needed recently! He's having a down year this year but I'd look at the bright side, he's only 29! It's not like he's past his prime. I'm not saying I LOVE the idea of him in a habs uniform, but I could definitely get used to it. We shall wait and see I suppose.

Not that I'm suggesting Souray would be included in said speculative deal, but weren't there talks about him wanting to be close LA to be near his son? hmmm... Speculation, speculation, speculation.

On Spector's it says that the a deal for Sykora is imminent and he lists 3 or 4 teams who are interested one of which is Monteal. Although he qualifies it as likely not to occur, b/c it's is rare that teams will trade players right before they play each other.

On that note I was not a big fan of Sykora, however, once i looked up his scouting report and his potential, he is only 29 years old and has put up some impressive numbers in his career. In addition, although he is expensive he is an expiring contract, so if it doesn't work out with him, you can let him go and get additional cap space in the offseason or you can re-sign him for less. The team is a bit lacking in scoring and he might be able to help out..and with the return of Kovalev we would have 4 top flight wingers to play with