Apr. 9, Laval vs Toronto, 7 PM

dlbalr

It's an extremely intriguing game for the Rocket tonight as we all get to see how Charlie Lindgren fares in his first game action in six weeks.  Oh, and some top prospect guy is making his pro debut as well...

On the injury front, only Jan Mysak made the trip so Laval isn't getting much help from the infirmary.  (And as it turns out, he's not playing tonight anyway.)

lav17_200-150x150.png

Blandisi - Poehling - Teasdale

Veilleux - Weal - Caufield

Lucchini - Dauphin - Harvey-Pinard

Verbeek - Hillis - Pezzetta

Schueneman - Brook
Bisson - Olofsson
LeGuerrier - Ouellet

Lindgren

tor16_200-150x150.png

(Lines are from last game with a guess on defence with Timothy Liljegren being sent down to play in this set)

Agostino - Kossila - Petan

Robertson - Der-Arguchintsev - Anderson

Chartier - Gaudet - McKenna

Clune - Conrad - Green

Rosen - Liljegren

Hoefenmayer - Duszak

Rubins - Hollowell

Scott (expected to be his first start since 2019)

Puck drop is at 7 PM and can be seen on RDS.

• Upvote 1

Great that RDS is broadcasting ... I like Weal, a cagey veteran, with Caufield and Lavalagher is a high-energy player who does the dirty-work ... frankly don't understand starting Lindgren, unless there is the possibility of a deal to a team looking for a 3rd-string/taxi-squad goalie

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Great that RDS is broadcasting ... I like Weal, a cagey veteran, with Caufield and Lavalagher is a high-energy player who does the dirty-work ... frankly don't understand starting Lindgren, unless there is the possibility of a deal to a team looking for a 3rd-string/taxi-squad goalie

A break for McNiven, who played the last two games?

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

A break for McNiven, who played the last two games?

They still need to find out what Demchenko can do ... playing Lindgren just seems unproductive as I can't see him in the organization next season

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Remember, that's me guessing Caufield's placement.  The lines aren't out yet.

Lindgren is just to keep him fresh in case they actually had to call on him in Montreal.  Demchenko starts tomorrow afternoon.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Remember, that's me guessing Caufield's placement.  The lines aren't out yet ...

Then I like the guess ... 

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Remember, that's me guessing Caufield's placement.  The lines aren't out yet ...

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Then I like the guess ... 

Half right ain't half bad

51 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Good to see CC with two veterans in Ylonen’s spot

Is rather see him with more skilled players. I get putting him with veterans, but weal?  That’s like saddling a Porsche with H rates tires.

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Is rather see him with more skilled players. I get putting him with veterans, but weal?  That’s like saddling a Porsche with H rates tires.

At the AHL level, Weal is quite competent: he leads the team with 19 points (5+14) in 23 games.

27 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Which players in Laval's lineup do you think have more raw skill than Weal?  Maybe Blandisi but that's about it in terms of pure offensive production.  Guys like Poehling and Teasdale have NHL upside due to their size and two-way play but aren't as productive offensively than Weal.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Which players in Laval's lineup do you think have more raw skill than Weal?  Maybe Blandisi but that's about it in terms of pure offensive production.  Guys like Poehling and Teasdale have NHL upside due to their size and two-way play but aren't as productive offensively than Weal.

I’d rather see him with one of them. Both have more skill and I’d like to see the habs do more of what TBL did where guys like Johnson and palat played in the minors that and than progressed and played together when they got to the NHL.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d rather see him with one of them. Both have more skill and I’d like to see the habs do more of what TBL did where guys like Johnson and palat played in the minors that and than progressed and played together when they got to the NHL.

If Caufield is anything close to what we hope, he's unlikely to be playing for the Habs on the same line with Poehling. Top six vs bottom six.

46 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

On the AHL line up, we have to temper expectations 

Habs do not have any other prospect close to Caufield’s sniper level

Ylonen is closer to Tatar than what we expect from Caufield

Just now, tomh009 said:

If Caufield is anything close to what we hope, he's unlikely to be playing for the Habs on the same line with Poehling. Top six vs bottom six.

Palat is also much better than Johnson, and is now on the 1st line, while a Johnson is now on the 3rd or 4th lines. There is something to be said to having players gel and develop that comraderie and gel as teammates, which helps when they get to the next level.

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

On the AHL line up, we have to temper expectations 

Habs do not have any other prospect close to Caufield’s sniper level

Ylonen is closer to Tatar than what we expect from Caufield

Oh, I get that.or prospects would be much better if we had more Caufield calibre prospects together - it would probably also mean the NHL team was better if we had a lot of those types of prospects n the minors. I just think that Caufield and prospects like Poehling, Ylonen and Teasdale would all mutually benefit by playing with more skilled players.

23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Oh, I get that.or prospects would be much better if we had more Caufield calibre prospects together - it would probably also mean the NHL team was better if we had a lot of those types of prospects n the minors. I just think that Caufield and prospects like Poehling, Ylonen and Teasdale would all mutually benefit by playing with more skilled players.

Yes ... but the AHL is what it is, a mix of prospects and veterans. Montreal has one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, and our AHL team is one of the best in that league. But that doesn't mean that we have multiple elite prospects on the team -- that would be very rare in the AHL. Many elite prospects (including Suzuki and Kotkaniemi) spend little time in the AHL.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

See, that's where we differ.  Watch Weal in the minors - he has a lot more offensive skill than someone like Teasdale.  Weal's problem is that he can't play well enough in his own end to hold down a bottom-six spot but offensively, he has NHL-level talent.  Teasdale will likely make the NHL in that bottom-six respect but I don't think his offensive skill set is as good as Weal's.

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I knew Caufield was gonna score. Bring him up to be Gallagher 

Hopefully you just being over-enthusiastic ... Gallagher is a shyte-disturber, grinder/digger, defender/checker and goal scorer ... CC has only one of those attributes at this point, and even then is a totally different offensive player than Gallagher ... plus, if subbing for BG have defensive responsibilities against top-6 NHL lines.

Just now, GHT120 said:

Hopefully you just being over-enthusiastic ... Gallagher is a shyte-disturber, grinder/digger, defender/checker and goal scorer ... CC has only one of those attributes at this point, and even then is a totally different offensive player than Gallagher ... plus, if subbing for BG have defensive responsibilities against top-6 NHL lines.

Come to think of it a line of

Drouin - KK - Caufield 

Would melt the NHL