Apr. 9, Laval vs Toronto, 7 PM

dlbalr

I'd just throw this in there after watching the kid last night. I think he'd fit better on a line with KK and Lek rather than Danault and Tatar. Better set up centre, A speedy winger with great defence, and a pure sniper. Move Staal to wing or centre on 4th line. I wasn't so sure about Caufield playing NHL hockey this season, but that performance last night was no fluke, AHL defenders had no answer for his skill, speed and shot. The kid is an NHL player no doubt.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Caufield made everything happen by himself. There was no puck luck or lucky bounces, it was all him. 

He is ready for NHL

Offensively seems like, but without puck maybe not so ready? In NCAA he did, of little i did see, seem to always be 1st out of zone seemingly looking for stretch pass, probably by design of coach Granato, a la a Brett Hull-like.

And, like we saw with Mete, small size does have its definite disadvantages in puck battles etc.

Bouchard did say he saw some things to work on, but didnt specify.

But, with a debut like he had and loss of Gallagher in top six, am sure Bergevin is hearing fanbase calling for him to be in a Hab jersey already.

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Let me just add one more point here ... Our PP was running at 18.3% under Julien. After Ducharme took over, it's been 23.4%, which is better than 20 other teams in the league.

Our PP has been absolute s*!t since we returned from our Covid protocol holiday:  1/18 (5.5%) over the last 6 games. This team isn't good enough defensively to win many games without cashing in on a decent percentage of our PP opportunities.

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

He's just dominating this game.  Every shift he's dangerous. 

Finally saw the highlights and he was dominant. So impressive, he not only finished plays, he created them. he could have had 4 or 5 goals. I am pumped!  It's also great to see Poehling playing so well. I still think Poehling will be a quality NHL player. 

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Our PP has been absolute s*!t since we returned from our Covid protocol holiday:  1/18 (5.5%) over the last 6 games. This team isn't good enough defensively to win many games without cashing in on a decent percentage of our PP opportunities.

The smaller the sample size, the easier it is draw conclusions.

Last six games the PP has had neither Gallagher or Armia, so could it be that the absence of Gallagher has an impact, too, and not just “our PP sucks”?

Because Ducharme has improved the PP.

36 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Last six games the PP has had neither Gallagher or Armia, so could it be that the absence of Gallagher has an impact, too, and not just “our PP sucks”?

PP is 16th in league...so is "OK" or mediocre.

PK needs more focus, tied 22nd with the lowly Ducks...which actually is an improvement, but still bad.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

It's better than the dark abyss it was pre-Ducharme to be sure, but it's still far from good.  If losing one guy (and that one guy isn't a Matthews/Ovi type) causes your PP to fall off a cliff, that's an issue.  And the issues, specifically, are lacking a dynamic puck carrier who is also a threat to shoot to work the carry-in, and when we actually do get set up, a guy that buries a high percentage of shots.  CC sure looks like he could be that guy. 

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

His improved it from being one of the worst inn the league, to middle of the road. I wouldn’t say we have a good PP yet. I’d also say that as far as PP goals go, the small sample size makes the PP seem better than it actually is because of a few good games skewing the overall number of goals higher.

it’s better than it was under Julien, but it still has a lot of room for improvement. We still have that tendency to go back to the expected Weber bomb too often.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

His improved it from being one of the worst inn the league, to middle of the road. I wouldn’t say we have a good PP yet. I’d also say that as far as PP goals go, the small sample size makes the PP seem better than it actually is because of a few good games skewing the overall number of goals higher.

it’s better than it was under Julien, but it still has a lot of room for improvement. We still have that tendency to go back to the expected Weber bomb too often.

Pretty much, yes. Under Julien it was 0.182, which would rank 22nd in the league (mind you, I'm pretty sure it was worse yet last year).

Under Ducharme, it's 0.234 up to and including last night, which would rank ninth in the league. That includes a 13-game stretch pre-COVID break at 0.345, and then the six-game drought after that (including Gallagher and Armia injuries) at 0.056. I don't think 0.345 is sustainable, but neither is it a 0.056.

Including both coaches, we are smack-dab in the middle in the PP rankings at 16th, with an average of 0.206.

And, yes, we can certainly still improve. My point was that it really has not been sh!t under Ducharme, it's one of the areas were he has made a significant positive impact.

Im sure Caufield will get the call up, they have no RW's currently. playing players wherever never works. 

He won't save them, he will shoot on the PP for sure,

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Im sure Caufield will get the call up, they have no RW's currently. playing players wherever never works. 

He won't save them, he will shoot on the PP for sure,

Great to see you back Chris. I was wondering where our ray of sunshine was. I thought Toffoli and Anderson played RW but I could be wrong.  You are right that he won't save them but he might provide a spark. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Great to see you back Chris. I was wondering where our ray of sunshine was. I thought Toffoli and Anderson played RW but I could be wrong.  You are right that he won't save them but he might provide a spark. 

Perry is a RW too and Armia could be back as soon as Wednesday.  There are reasons to make a case for recalling Caufield but a shortage of right wingers isn't one of them.