Mete on waivers

johnnyhasbeen

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2021/4/11/22378489/montreal-canadiens-place-victor-mete-on-waivers-nhl-trade-deadline-habs-defence

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Only explicable as a move to clear cap space, so I take this as a good sign. He’ll be claimed for sure, I’d think.

It's a good sign if they are able to make a good trade.  He has some talent and is a terrific skater, couldn't they have got at least a 4th/5th round pick for him?   I would be shocked if he doesn't get claimed. They have obviously given up on him. 

I think the way Leskinen played yesterday prompted this 

If he clears, he’ll replace Leskinen in Laval and get better. If not, it will be a sign that MB has respected Mete’s wish to be traded to play more 

I hope the Habs fo not make the mistake of rushing other prospects to the NHL

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Leskinen was terrible yesterday.  Every shift he got hemmed in his own end.

This looks like clearing more cap for another move to me. 

Agreed.  My first thought on seeing this was 'oh no, that means Leskinen is going to stay in the lineup for a week...'

I'm not convinced it's for cap purposes though.  As a near league-minimum player, he should be easy enough to toss in a trade for whichever rental they're picking up.

11 minutes ago, Pino10 said:

Watch the leafs pick him up.  Then Mete and Galchenyuk will be their worst nightmare in the first round. 

If Mete and Galchenyuk are our worst nightmare in Round 1 and not Matthews and Marner, then we will have won the first round. 

34 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's a good sign if they are able to make a good trade.  He has some talent and is a terrific skater, couldn't they have got at least a 4th/5th round pick for him?   I would be shocked if he doesn't get claimed. They have obviously given up on him. 

Mete is nothing, a generic place-holding bottom-pairing D-man. He brings zero offence and is often overpowered down low.

If you want to know why I don’t get overly excited about prospects, look no further than the 2017-18 season, when a rookie Mete made a terrible Habs team out of camp, and there was tremendous excitement in the fan base about this future star defender 🙄

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Mete is nothing, a generic place-holding bottom-pairing D-man. He brings zero offence and is often overpowered down low.

If you want to know why I don’t get overly excited about prospects, look no further than the 2017-18 season, when a rookie Mete made a terrible Habs team out of camp, and there was tremendous excitement in the fan base about this future star defender 🙄

I think this was a case where the Habs made a major mistake in his development. Young defenceman take time to develop and keeping him with the big team when he could have been playing 25 minutes a game in junior was a huge mistake. He skating ability is far superior than almost any generic place - holding bottom pairing defenceman you can name. The Habs ruined his development, it's too bad, he could have been a lot better. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think this was a case where the Habs made a major mistake in his development. Young defenceman take time to develop and keeping him with the big team when he could have been playing 25 minutes a game in junior was a huge mistake. He skating ability is far superior than almost any generic place - holding bottom pairing defenceman you can name. The Habs ruined his development, it's too bad, he could have been a lot better. 

I agree with you that rushing players into the NHL is almost always a mistake. We did it with Mete, Ribeiro, KK, and Galchenyuk and the results were bad. (Price also came within a hair’s breadth of crapping out of Montreal, as we often forget, because he had to do all his growing pains in the merciless spotlight of Montreal). On the other hand, it worked fine with Gallagher.

Interesting to note, in this context, that quite a few fans and commentators can’t call up Caulfield quickly enough. Perhaps we should think twice.

That said, we will never know if Mete could have been more. His skating is terrific, but that is literally the ONLY part of his game that is NHL-calibre. His vision, playmaking, shot, and physical presence are all below-average. That’s why I doubt he was ever destined to be more than a bottom-pairing guy. If he is lucky, he will eventually establish himself as a reliable bottom-pairing D-man somewhere. If not, he’ll have a nice career in Europe.

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with you that rushing players into the NHL is almost always a mistake. We did it with Mete, Ribeiro, KK, and Galchenyuk and the results were bad. (Price also came within a hair’s breadth of crapping out of Montreal, as we often forget, because he had to do all his growing pains in the merciless spotlight of Montreal). On the other hand, it worked fine with Gallagher.

Interesting to note, in this context, that quite a few fans and commentators can’t call up Caulfield quickly enough. Perhaps we should think twice.

That said, we will never know if Mete could have been more. His skating is terrific, but that is literally the ONLY part of his game that is NHL-calibre. His vision, playmaking, shot, and physical presence are all below-average. That’s why I doubt he was ever destined to be more than a bottom-pairing guy. If he is lucky, he will eventually establish himself as a reliable bottom-pairing D-man somewhere. If not, he’ll have a nice career in Europe.

I could see Mete going overs as, getting stronger and developing into a Rafalski type - IF he becomes a smarter player. You can’t teach hockey sense, but you can learn to to make smarter decisions. You can’t do that when you weren’t ready when you were brought up, and than are afraid of making a mistake to say up.  

39 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree it was a mistake ... but not certain that an extra year in junior and another in the AHL would have made him anything more than a better 3rd pairing D ... just don't see the skills he would need to be effective at his size

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree it was a mistake ... but not certain that an extra year in junior and another in the AHL would have made him anything more than a better 3rd pairing D ... just don't see the skills he would need to be effective at his size

No question his size was always going to be a detriment.  But if you rush young defenceman then they don't have the opportunity to develop confidence which helps other facets of their game. Bottom line is he was a 4th round pick so the expectations were never that high but the Habs messed up his development. 

When will we know what city is Vic’s new place residence?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It worked with Gallagher because his maturity and mental toughness were far beyond that of your average 20 year old player.  Plus you are less likely to see the mistakes/growing pains of a winger compared to a goalie/defencemen/centre.  Gallagher is a beauty. 

8 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

So it's gonna be Detroit, right?

I doubt it, if he clears waivers he has to either be sent to Laval or traded as a depth defenseman in another team that has no cap room

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It worked with Gallagher because his maturity and mental toughness were far beyond that of your average 20 year old player.  Plus you are less likely to see the mistakes/growing pains of a winger compared to a goalie/defencemen/centre.  Gallagher is a beauty. 

Agree, Gally is the exception to the rule. He came up basically fully-formed. Kind of amazing, really.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree, Gally is the exception to the rule. He came up basically fully-formed. Kind of amazing, really.

He is amazing. I used to work down the hall from Brendan's Aunt when he was still in junior. We used to talk hockey, she used to say  "Brendan is the nicest, most humble young man you will ever meet". She couldn't say enough nice things about him.  She was right.  The guy has character.