2021 Trade Deadline Thread

Trizzak

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Sorry to disappoint you but our problem isn't just a top 4LD.

I am not disappointed, we do have other needs (ie. a true #1 center, hopefully Suzuki or KK develop into this) but I think our biggest immediate need is a top 4 defenceman.  Who would you like to see us get? 

Montreal gets Eric Gustafson from Philly for a 7th round pick with 50% salary retention.

5 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Montreal gets Eric Gustafson from Philly for a 7th round pick with 50% salary retention.

17:24 TOI 3rd pairing defenceman this season ... typical Bergevin move ... although Gustafsson at least has gotten some decent PP time the last three seasons ... a different option in the mix

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

17:24 TOI 3rd pairing defenceman this season ... typical Bergevin move ... although Gustafsson at least has gotten some decent PP time the last three seasons ... a different option in the mix

He had a phenomenal year in 18-19, 17 goals and 43 assists.  Likely his career year. 

26 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am not disappointed, we do have other needs (ie. a true #1 center, hopefully Suzuki or KK develop into this) but I think our biggest immediate need is a top 4 defenceman.  Who would you like to see us get? 

Like I had said, in my honest opinion, we're not going to get past jets or Toronto. I don't want to hear anything can happen in playoffs because that's bull. Our top 6 and our depth forward group doesn't match up against Toronto or the jets. So i would of unloaded Tatar and Danault and try to get a 2nd round pick for each.  That would of gave us 4 2nd round picks which at the draft we could of package our 1st and 2 of the 2nd round picks to try and get a top 4 LD. 

But now we're going to lose Tatar for nothing and probably going to over pay danault to resign him. 

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Like I had said, in my honest opinion, we're not going to get past jets or Toronto. I don't want to hear anything can happen in playoffs because that's bull. Our top 6 and our depth forward group doesn't match up against Toronto or the jets. So i would of unloaded Tatar and Danault and try to get a 2nd round pick for each.  That would of gave us 4 2nd round picks which at the draft we could of package our 1st and 2 of the 2nd round picks to try and get a top 4 LD. 

But now we're going to lose Tatar for nothing and probably going to over pay danault to resign him. 

I agree with your approach, I don't think we get past Toronto or the Jets either, we will get nothing for Tartar as he will resign elsewhere, I hope we don't overpay for Danault but probably will. We will have to package something  significant (prospects & picks) to get a top 4 LD. 

5 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

So i would of unloaded Tatar and Danault 

So, by shipping out Tatar & Danault and with Gallagher out of commission, you obviously are looking to TANK TANK TANK!!! 

18 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

... So i would of unloaded Tatar and Danault and try to get a 2nd round pick for each ...

IMO selling could well have cost MB his job once the season was over ... it likely would have meant either missing the playoffs or a weak first round exit ...either way not extension material ... IMO Bergevin did what he did this off-season because the cushion on his chair was getting warm

18 minutes ago, DON said:

So, by shipping out Tatar & Danault and with Gallagher out of commission, you obviously are looking to TANK TANK TANK!!! 

No I am looking to get usable trade assets for pending ufa's. You trade Tatar get a 2nd call up Caufield. You trade Danault for a 2nd then you can turn around and trade for a scorer like Hoffman.

Caufield/Suzuki/Anderson 

Toffoli/Kotkaniemi/Gallagher

Lehkonen/Staal/Hoffman  

Armia /Evans/Perry 

Plus you bank 2 2nd round picks that you can use to make a trade along with our 1st for a top LD at the draft.

You guys do realize that we would be out of the playoffs in 11th spot if this was the regular set up. 

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

IMO selling could well have cost MB his job once the season was over ... it likely would have meant either missing the playoffs or a weak first round exit ...either way not extension material ... IMO Bergevin did what he did this off-season because the cushion on his chair was getting warm

I agree with that. I think there is more pressure on MB this year so he couldn't be in sell mode but I think he also realizes that one trade would not put them on an equal footing with teams like Toronto so he didn't mortgage the future. I am satisfied with what he did, acquired some defensive depth without giving up much. 

The Habs needed KK and Suzuki to take a big step forward to be a serious contender and they didn't. They have 18 goals from their centres (KK, Danault, Evans and Suzuki),  Mathews alone has 30.  Not nearly good enough. 

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Plus you bank 2 2nd round picks that you can use to make a trade along with our 1st for a top LD at the draft.

Second-round picks aren't going to move the needle for a top LD.  Those guys don't go in a quality for quantity trade though and with the draft situation being what it is this year, I get the sense pick values are lower than usual.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

A quick cap calculation:

CapFriendly has the Habs at $3.56M in LTIR room with Mete gone.  However, with Ouellet (who's in for Leskinen tonight - we need a GDT), Evans, and Primeau coming up from the taxi squad, it's really only $1.19M once they're added to the roster.  If they wanted Hoffman, for example, they'd need retention from St. Louis and probably would need to move a player out.

To circle back on this with the Habs adding $1.5M with Gustafsson, they're going to have to ask for an emergency cap-exempt recall to bring Primeau up.  They can get away with it for goalies without having to play short a player for a game.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would have liked Mantha and I think we could have beat what the wings got.

Why did the Wings let him go? Because he's streaky and inconsistent, exactly the reason why people here want to get rid of players like Drouin and Armia.

53 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Why did the Wings let him go? Because he's streaky and inconsistent, exactly the reason why people here want to get rid of players like Drouin and Armia.

And yet neither of those two, or even combined, would attract offers anywhere remotely near what Detroit got for Mantha ... a 2021 first, a 2021 second and a 25 yr-old who averages 22 goals per 82 games, even taking account of the Wings assuming the two years left on Pánik's contract ... unlike Drouin and Armia, Mantha is a proven 25-26 goal scorer with potential to be better ... Drouin and Armia are proven 15 goals scorers with maybe the potential to reach Mantha's norm ... I would gladly have dealt Drouin for Mantha ... but Detroit would never do that ... Drouin is now (IMO) at best a 3rd line winger and then only if the line has a goal scorer for him to feed as JD is otherwise worthless.

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Not saying that Armia is Mantha. But the inconsistent effort is a consistent complaint, and Mantha, too, would have checked that box.

Wasn't disputing that, but Mantha would at least provide about 40% more goals ... if you are going to be inconsistent in the effort you give you have to produce

4 hours ago, DON said:

Yes... I would have tried to unload price and Weber for prospects and picks... but it will never happen. 

Bergevin does just enough to be on the bubble and getting nowhere. If he thinks that trade was all we needed to compete he is smoking something powerful.

1 hour ago, brobin said:

Bergevin does just enough to be on the bubble and getting nowhere. If he thinks that trade was all we needed to compete he is smoking something powerful.

We aren't really on the bubble. Yes, the last playoff spot but eight points ahead of the Flames and still two games in hand, and the Flames only have about a dozen games to make that up. And that's in spite of the recent injuries and slump.

I'd say we are a playoff team, at least with this year's league structure. Not a contender, but at least a (somewhat marginal) playoff team.