Habs acquire Erik Gustafsson

dlbalr

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Not top 5 IMO ... might be good for 3-on-3 if you could change the game roster before O/T starts ... problem is he has to play, or at least sit on the bench, for the first 60 minutes 

My comment was more of a joke that was a stab at the Habs crap OT record and that MB usually does small moves that is an improvement on a team weakness. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Hes a taller version of Marc Andre Bergeron.

Well now, that sounds good then.  I liked MAB, but I certainly agree that he wasn't the most defensively sound dman. 

I've watched numerous clips of Gufstafsson and I think I've figured it out. 

Commandant's quoted comment helped me figure it out.  It seems like something he would know, and he almost does but doesnt realize.  Commadant is very knowledgable with stats so maybe there isn't a one for it.

Gufstavfssons *thing* seems to be having a knack at getting pucks through to the net.  He does have a good 1 timer like MAB, and he slapper is likely decent too.  However, unlike MAB he has really good wrist shot.  He has numerous decent shots and he can get them through to the net.  The majority of his shots arent goals, but they are often tipped in so he likely has more assists from his shots vs passes. 

Also, a lot of his wrist shots seem to be poorly saved with juicy rebounds for anybody around the crease.  So it seems like its a similar situation as Perry when he is screening the goalie and totally causes a goal but doesnt get an assist.  i.e. a major assistance by them in a play where the goal doesnt happen without them but they they get no points for it. 

i.e. its more about what happens after the puck leaves his stick, and the mayhem around the net that will ensue after the fact.    I imagine that he'll be a great fit with Perry, Staal, Gally, + Toffoli and Anderson. 

The funny thing is that I can understand why he is underrated.  When it comes to wrist shots his isn't really that great.  He doesn't rip laser beams at the net.  If there wasnt other players on the ice blocking the goalies view he'd probably never score with his wrist shot.    However, his wrist shot is great because its a) usually above waist height and requires a glove save, and b) its slow enough that its the perfect speed for tippers. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If EG can’t play defence, then his offensive skills are irrelevant: he will not get significant minutes barring injury to core blueliners.

There is a reason MAB bounced around and never really established himself despite an absolutely lethal PP presence. That reason is that coaches could not stop panicking every time he was on the ice in a 5-on-5 situation. 

A taller version of MAB, as Commandant puts it, is not going to be a sustainable option, except on a weak team willing to overlook glaring deficiencies. Remember, we got this guy for a 7th-round pick - that is probably telling.

I expect Merrill will get regular duty but Gustafson (along with Kulak once Chiarot is back) will allow Ducharme to give Weber in particular, but others as well, a game or two off without having to rely on Mete, Ouellet or Leskinen to fill-in somewhere (don't expect it will be a straight in&out, pairings could get shuffled) ... might not be ideal for winning as many games as possible but once they are truly satisfied they are in the playoffs it will be time to prepare for the playoffs ... Poehling, Blandisi and Lavalagher might even get a game or two if the cap allows ... last game against Toronto would seem perfect for Poehling ;)

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Poehling, Blandisi and Lavalagher might even get a game or two if the cap allows ... last game against Toronto would seem perfect for Poehling ;)

There is the four-recall rule to keep in mind, especially with them appearing to use some already on paper transactions.  Harvey-Pinard is also not on an NHL contract and they'd be nuts to give him one that starts this year to give him a token game when they can get three years with a deal that starts next year.

While its a problem in the regular season (Laval's season ends May 15, Montreal May 11th), the four recall rule would not apply in the playoffs, if there are no AHL playoffs. 

Once the AHL team is eliminated, the recall rule no longer applies. 

I cant help but find the irony of this to be incredibly funny.  I definitely believe that we will see more of him than anybody else suggests.  I bet the Habs are hopeful that he works out and have long term plans for him. 

No one disagrees that MAB was really good offensively, and especially the PP, and was weak defensively.

Heres a True or False Trivia question:

MAB, and Mark Streit just played Defence for the Habs?

The answer is False. i.e. they also played Wing. 

Wow, imagine that. 

i.e. Gally is out, so KK has been playing Wing.   Now,  KK can go back to C, Evans goes to taxi squad, and Gustafsson is 3rd or 4th line Winger. 

Anybody having a ta-da moment yet? 

If Gustaffsson works out he will be turned into a swingman, that can potentially be resigned really cheap.  ex:  1-1.5/yr and could likely get 40+ pts/yr.  i.e. improve the PP, get more pts than either 4th line winger, and cost under half of their salary. 

47 minutes ago, Commandant said:

While its a problem in the regular season (Laval's season ends May 15, Montreal May 11th), the four recall rule would not apply in the playoffs, if there are no AHL playoffs. 

Once the AHL team is eliminated, the recall rule no longer applies. 

This is true but they're not giving Poehling and Blandisi a game in the playoffs which is why I provided the recall rule context as it pertains to trying to play them in the next month.

44 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I cant help but find the irony of this to be incredibly funny.  I definitely believe that we will see more of him than anybody else suggests.  I bet the Habs are hopeful that he works out and have long term plans for him. 

No one disagrees that MAB was really good offensively, and especially the PP, and was weak defensively.

Heres a True or False Trivia question:

MAB, and Mark Streit just played Defence for the Habs?

The answer is False. i.e. they also played Wing. 

Wow, imagine that. 

i.e. Gally is out, so KK has been playing Wing.   Now,  KK can go back to C, Evans goes to taxi squad, and Gustafsson is 3rd or 4th line Winger. 

Anybody having a ta-da moment yet? 

If Gustaffsson works out he will be turned into a swingman, that can potentially be resigned really cheap.  ex:  1-1.5/yr and could likely get 40+ pts/yr.  i.e. improve the PP, get more pts than either 4th line winger, and cost under half of their salary. 

Clever. Although it forgets that Streit and MAB both sucked as wingers. Personally I think the likeliest outcome is what Occam's Razor would suggest: we have a one-dimensional defenceman who probably isn't too great, but does have a bit of offensive upside. Merill seems to be the more meaningful acquisition.