Nothing To Do With Anything

Trizzak

Joking?

Genesis, book one of The Bible.

:lol: My religion is "extreme atheism". I already heard the term "Genesis" (la Genèse in french) but didn't know it was book one of the Bible. How many books are included in the Bible ??

I've done moral and immoral. I feel like all of my answers for The Bible will be, "Whatever God says to do is good, what he says not to do is bad." Does anybody have anything to add to that idea?

Not specifically, but if you're going to open the door for some anti-religious quotes...

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" – Epicurus

:lol: My religion is "extreme atheism". I already heard the term "Genesis" (la Genèse in french) but didn't know it was book one of the Bible. How many books are included in the Bible ??

The Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) is referred to as The Pentateuch and has 5 books:

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Numbers.

The New Testament has a whole bunch of other books about judges and prophets. I forget how many of these there are but probably 20-29, with titles like Job, Ezekiel, Samuel.

Then, at least for Jews, there's the "oral Torah" which is a whole bunch of rules that men decided to add to the Torah. But the men who said this stuff were supposed to have been inspired by God or something, so the rules in this book are equally important (to some) as the words in the Pentateuch.

BTW - how can you be "extremely" atheist? :P That's like being extremely pregnant, no?

Not specifically, but if you're going to open the door for some anti-religious quotes...

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" – Epicurus

lol Well my paper has nothing to do with whether religion is good or bad, it's just about comparing the Judeo-Christian worldview of The Bible with the Ancient Greek worldview of The Odyssey.

Good quote, but a religious person could probably counter it easily. A scene from Angels & Demons comes to mind.

The Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) is referred to as The Pentateuch and has 5 books:

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Numbers.

The New Testament has a whole bunch of other books about judges and prophets. I forget how many of these there are but probably 20-29, with titles like Job, Ezekiel, Samuel.

Then, at least for Jews, there's the "oral Torah" which is a whole bunch of rules that men decided to add to the Torah. But the men who said this stuff were supposed to have been inspired by God or something, so the rules in this book are equally important (to some) as the words in the Pentateuch.

Actually, that isn't true. The Pentateuch, the books of the prophets, the books of some of the early leaders, and the books of wisdom are all part of the Old Testament. The Catholic Bible has I think 46 books, with other denominations having a similar number. I believe the Jewish Bible has most of the same books, but combines quite a few of them. A number of books that Christian Bibles split it two are combined and then there are like 12 prophets that are combined.

The New Testament begins with Jesus, so it contains the Gospels and a bunch of letters written by early Christian leaders.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Actually, that isn't true. The Pentateuch, the books of the prophets, the books of some of the early leaders, and the books of wisdom are all part of the Old Testament. The Catholic Bible has I think 46 books, with other denominations having a similar number. I believe the Jewish Bible has most of the same books, but combines quite a few of them. A number of books that Christian Bibles split it two are combined and then there are like 12 prophets that are combined.

The New Testament begins with Jesus, so it contains the Gospels and a bunch of letters written by early Christian leaders.

Ah. In my Jewish school, we only learned the pre-Jesus stuff. I thought The New Testament existed for Jews too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into JMMR after the game tonight while I was big pimpin' hahaha

Also saw Kirk Muller pass by BEAMING - probably on his way to Hurleys or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks. :) Hehe, and yeah, of course I had to get a little reminder of home. ;)

It was awesome. Best three weeks in my life.

We visited Gettysburg on the way back from Philly.

ADD: Oh and I have tons of pictures left to post BTW. I took nearly 2000 photos alltogether (gonna post about 150 of them).

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Message board potluck.

On Saturday July 17, the day after we returned from Philly, we had a picnic out in North Park with a couple of people from the message board where Melissa and I first got to know each other. It was a lot of fun to see people in real life and how they compared to on the message board.

I had my oil changed yesterday, and today I noticed that the engine sounded 50 times larger and there was an odd smell once the engine heated up. Turns out the guy forgot to put the oil cap back on, and oil splashed all over my engine.

That's why I don't trust anyone to work on my cars.

My friends had that happen to them, got the place to pay for a steam clean for the engine.

Yah, they cleaned it up good. And I heard the technician get reamed out in the back room lol.

Anyone got nice websites for flight tickets Montreal - Europe ??

I know cheapair.com, are there any other good ones ?

When my girlfriend (who lives in Pittsburgh) flew to Sweden, she booked her tickets on http://www.travelocity.com/.