Apr 14. Flames vs Canadiens, 7PM

Trizzak

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Bad penalty for Byron there.

That is being polite

Too many sieves on D.  God I miss the reliability of Markov in the top-4.  Petry and even Weber of a couple years ago were always more gaffe-prone than The General.  Hopefully Romanov will be that kind of defender but that's years away.  As it is we're relying on role players like Edmundson and *gulp* Merrill to stabilize the D.  

Calgary's mediocre and we looked more mediocre.  

Can't score, or don't have goaltending? To me, it didn't really look like either one of those was the critical issue. Sure, Drouin didn't score, but are we really expecting Drouin to single-handedly win games for us? Allen was worse than .900, but when our D is setting up a veritable buffet table of scoring chances for the opposition, you can't expect much more.

To me, the fundamental issue is a collapse in our D performance. Forget puck-moving D, we don't even have puck-clearing D. Kulak and Weber (Weber?!?!?) were mostly decent, but Petry is suffering, and Romanov had one of his worst nights in recent memory, as supported by Ouellet. Can't wait for Chiarot to come back. Not to mention one or maybe even two of our recent acquisitions ...

Extremely frustrating game. You have to hand it to Calgary, they were ready, played hard and focused Darryl Sutter hockey. The problem is the Habs just looked groggy mostly of the night.

For the first three minutes or so, the Habs picked up where they left off against the Leafs: fast, smart, forcing turnovers. Then suddenly they lost a series of draws, got scored on, and then it was all skating in quicksand.

We are not getting any offensive push from the D at all. Look at Calgary: two convincing goals from the back end. Where is Weber’s vaunted point shot? Where is Petry’s blast? Nothing. Is Kulak really the answer - ?

This is a Jeckyll and Hyde team, and it sure was Jeckyll tonight. Ugh.

(EDIT: I just noticed The Gazette used the same metaphor for the team after this game! When are they gonna pay me royalties?)

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Extremely frustrating game. You have to hand it to Calgary, they were ready, played hard and focused Darryl Sutter hockey. The problem is the Habs just looked groggy mostly of the night.

For the first three minutes or so, the Habs picked up where they left off against the Leafs: fast, smart, forcing turnovers. Then suddenly they lost a series of draws, got scored on, and then it was all skating in quicksand.

We are not getting any offensive push from the D at all. Look at Calgary: two convincing goals from the back end. Where is Weber’s vaunted point shot? Where is Petry’s blast? Nothing. 

This is a Jeckyl and Hyde team, and it sure was Jeckyl tonight. Ugh.

That’s why unless we have a real good playoffs, I think we need to totally rebuild the D. Keep Petry and Romanov and tear down the rest. There maybe teams that need to move a good dman before the expansion draft. Would Dumba, Ellis, Ekholm, Dunn, be possibilities as guys that couldn’t be protected?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s why unless we have a real good playoffs, I think we need to totally rebuild the D. Keep Petry and Romanov and tear down the rest. There maybe teams that need to move a good dman before the expansion draft. Would Dumba, Ellis, Ekholm, Dunn, be possibilities as guys that couldn’t be protected?

I tend to agree with you, but pulling it off would be a formidable feat of GMing, not unlike what he did with the FW unit this summer. It may not prove possible. Also, you look at Edmundson and Chiarot and you really can’t say they’re not quality D. The problem seems to be that the mix is wrong - too many slowfoots. You may not need to turn over everyone to correct that.

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I tend to agree with you, but pulling it off would be a formidable feat of GMing, not unlike what he did with the FW unit this summer. It may not prove possible. Also, you look at Edmundson and Chiarot and you really can’t say they’re not quality D. The problem seems to be that the mix is wrong - too many slowfoots. You may not need to turn over everyone to correct that.

I have no issues with one id Chariot, or Edmondson. I’d only want both of one of them was more of a 7th dman. But if we don’t have that superstar player - particularly at centre, and don’t have a dominating dman either, than our S needs to have higher quantity of quality dmen in the top 4. Who knows, maybe Suzuki does become a 2nd tier superstar player like a Gilmour (had 3 100+ point seasons, but was mainly a 80-90 point guy), or a Modano - not in the Gretzky/Lemieux/Sakic/Lafontaine/Yzerman dominance or PPG class. But in the absence of a Hedman type of dman in defence, or McDavid/Matthews type of centre, we need more quality players in our top 4 on defence a d top 9 forwards. At the forward positing I think we are close IF Caufield, Suzuki, KK reach their potential ceilings - who knows Caufield may be even turn out to be a superstar winger, but even if he doesn’t, I like Taffoli, Gallagher and see potential in Anderson (if he can stay healthy).  We don’t have anywhere near that depth at D. If we still had the Weber of 2007-12, I’d feel differently, but we have the same aging defence issue as SJS. Edmondson and Chariot is not who I’d want in the top 4 with two aging dmen - one who is showing obvious signs of decline, and another who’s play has dropped off because he probably isn’t suited to be a true 1st pairing dman and needs a better partner.

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Even TSN is crapping on that effort. I’ve complained about this before but we simply don’t show up for too many games. Ducharme is in over his head. 

Also Weber is done. I don’t know how anyone can continue to defend him. 

I’ll bite on that one

I can still defend Weber, and the D, because on the goals I saw (didn’t watch the whole game) it seems like the forwards are not supporting the D

wingers up high or near the boards pinning an adversary or covered and the center skating around in circle and late on the play

Also, forwards seemed to be waiting for the puck and hitting center ice from a stopped position; resulting in a turnover, so the D were staying back and not joining the rush

lack of structure and lack of F support exposes slower D like Weber 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I’ll bite on that one

I can still defend Weber, and the D, because on the goals I saw (didn’t watch the whole game) it seems like the forwards are not supporting the D

wingers up high or near the boards pinning an adversary or covered and the center skating around in circle and late on the play

Also, forwards seemed to be waiting for the puck and hitting center ice from a stopped position; resulting in a turnover, so the D were staying back and not joining the rush

lack of structure and lack of F support exposes slower D like Weber 

Our forwards deserve heat as well because they didn’t show up either. It seems like we don’t show up 20% of the time. 

I know Weber still has supporters but I can’t understand it. He was by a large margin the worst defender on our team. Kulak bailed him out repeatedly. 

I genuinely think that Ouellet is a better Dman at this point. 

14 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Our forwards deserve heat as well because they didn’t show up either. It seems like we don’t show up 20% of the time. 

I know Weber still has supporters but I can’t understand it. He was by a large margin the worst defender on our team. Kulak bailed him out repeatedly. 

I genuinely think that Ouellet is a better Dman at this point. 

that's fine, that is why we share our opinions on this forum: to agree or disagree

Until the team is healthy and some of the veterans get some overdue rest, I will refrain from judging game-to-game

Habs need to get over the hump, stay course, qualify in the fourth spot and be ready for the Leafs. That's it, that's all

Individual player performance and team consistency only matters in the playoffs, which I am sure they will make

Next season's team in maybe 50% or 60% of what we have now, I expect more churn. So I am not getting all worked up for nothing right now

Again Weber, seems couldnt make a good pass if life depended on it and another gaff for a goal against.

Not sure how many times the d tossed lazy puck up into neutral zone, to a Flame, to just have it less than 2 seconds later back in own end.

Drouin's effort sometimes is just so god awful, hard to believe he is a pro.:wall:

Oh well, just gotta hope next game is much better effort.

40 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that's fine, that is why we share our opinions on this forum: to agree or disagree

Until the team is healthy and some of the veterans get some overdue rest, I will refrain from judging game-to-game

Habs need to get over the hump, stay course, qualify in the fourth spot and be ready for the Leafs. That's it, that's all

Individual player performance and team consistency only matters in the playoffs, which I am sure they will make

Next season's team in maybe 50% or 60% of what we have now, I expect more churn. So I am not getting all worked up for nothing right now

Pretty much my exact take on it as well. We are almost a lock to make the playoffs and the regular season standings don't have much of an impact because we know we have to get through 2 of Toronto, Winnipeg or Edmonton regardless of where we finish. I still have a lot of faith in this team and I do believe we will see a better and more consistent performance during the playoffs.