Habs @ Oil 10pm

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

These sportsnet homers are nauseating.  TSN is superior in every way. I hope they get the next contract.

Regardless of who has the next national contract, this was a regional game and Sportsnet has had regional rights to Edmonton for quite a while now (I think they recently did a new long-term deal as well).  The regional feeds have the homer commentators, just like TSN for their Montreal games with Bryan Mudryk.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Regardless of who has the next national contract, this was a regional game and Sportsnet has had regional rights to Edmonton for quite a while now (I think they recently did a new long-term deal as well).  The regional feeds have the homer commentators, just like TSN for their Montreal games with Bryan Mudryk.

yeah, i watched the TSN broadcast last night.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Dominated most of the game... got a couple of weird bounces at the end that made it closer than we wanted, but still got the two points.  I'll take it. 

I agree. Smith is one of the better goalies in the league this year. He kept this from being a  lopsided game early. 

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

well, this time you are

:rastapop: stop, it ! :rastapop:

8 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Don't want to be the party pooper, but let's not go over hyped  about Anderson yet.  Yes he scores, but he's also on pace for a 82 games season of only 48 points.  Domi had 44 in 71 games last season and we all felt he was terrible.

It’s all about goals, goals, goals! Sick of hearing about points when this team has trouble putting the puck in the net.  Anderson is better than Domi because he scores more goals and he is a beast on offence and defence. 

Most Goals Per 60 Min at 5v5 This Season (min 30 GP): #LeafsForever

NHL_2021_Teams_LeafsForever.png
Matthews - 1.67 #GoHabsGo

NHL_2021_Teams_GoHabsGo.png
Anderson - 1.65 #GoHabsGo

Gallagher - 1.50 #GoAvsGo

NHL_2021_Teams_GoAvsGo.png
Rantanen - 1.49 #NHLBruins

NHL_2021_Teams_NHLBruins.png
Marchand - 1.45 #GoHabsGo

Toffoli - 1.44

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I hi knit her than Friedman, everyone on TSN is superior. Having said that with the move towards increased regional coverage and out of region blackouts, I think there is more and more homerism. There’s a reason why an idiot like Edwards has been popular and has had a job for so long.

All regional broadcasts will have a lot of homerism for sure.  If you listen to Mike Johnson (probably my favorite color guy), you here a lot of objective analysis. I feel like tsn regional broadcasts are much more objective and intelligent than sportsnet. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That has been my hope all along with this bunch...that we turn out to be like the LA Kings of a few years back, unconvincing in the regular season but death in the playoffs. We’ll see.

Hey hey hey, what is this, a sliver of optimism? Nice. :clap:

I dont think i care who Habs play first in playoffs, Jet-Leafs or Oilers, all i think would be entertaining series.

But, do love the frustration McDavid shows vs the Habs, simply need to stick to him and dont give him time and space to operate and free wheel. Or walk out from behind the net unopposed at all, which happened a few times in last 2 games vs them.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

All regional broadcasts will have a lot of homerism for sure.  If you listen to Mike Johnson (probably my favorite color guy), you here a lot of objective analysis. I feel like tsn regional broadcasts are much more objective and intelligent than sportsnet. 

Jack Michaels for the Oilers is starting to battle Jack Edwards for worse play-by-play guy.  I’ve touched on it a few time here but the guy is just awful.

McDavid’s disallowed goal Monday where Chaisson plowed over Price, which is where Price may of gotten his concussion, Michaels swore after 2 replays there wasn’t goalie interference.  The review took all of 30 seconds to be called back.  He was constantly praising blatant interference from the oilers as good hockey plays, but would flip out whenever an oiler fell.

He is just really really terrible.  He honestly sounds more like a fan calling the game than an actual play-by-play guy.  I work with a bunch of Oilers fans, most of them don’t even like the guy.

Yup, Sportsnet games suck badly, is so nice to have TSN option for some of games.

John Garrett is the one that drives me nuts and leaves John Shorthouse speechless often with his idiocy.

Anderson was a beast yesterday and Weber had a great game. Watched the game a second time this morning and kinda of focused on Merrill, great pose with a calmly mistake free game. 

why is no one speaking of the two intentional elbow to the head from McDavid and one from Drisaile  in last nights game? This is getting out of hand and going unpunished from the league, refs  and our own players. Someone needs to take McDavid‘s head. 

49 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Anderson was a beast yesterday and Weber had a great game. Watched the game a second time this morning and kinda of focused on Merrill, great pose with a calmly mistake free game. 

why is no one speaking of the two intentional elbow to the head from McDavid and one from Drisaile  in last nights game? This is getting out of hand and going unpunished from the league, refs  and our own players. Someone needs to take McDavid‘s head. 

No, do same as Emelin used to do with Lucic.

Agitate him until he does something stupid (just much easier with the "I am Milan Lucic!" dummy, of course)

Simply egg on McDavid and let him take the stupid penalties.

I musta missed elbows, but no Hab got hurt so all good.

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Jack Michaels for the Oilers is starting to battle Jack Edwards for worse play-by-play guy.  I’ve touched on it a few time here but the guy is just awful.

McDavid’s disallowed goal Monday where Chaisson plowed over Price, which is where Price may of gotten his concussion, Michaels swore after 2 replays there wasn’t goalie interference.  The review took all of 30 seconds to be called back.  He was constantly praising blatant interference from the oilers as good hockey plays, but would flip out whenever an oiler fell.

He is just really really terrible.  He honestly sounds more like a fan calling the game than an actual play-by-play guy.  I work with a bunch of Oilers fans, most of them don’t even like the guy.

I wasn't impressed with the games I've seen him call but I still sometimes flip to them for MTL-EDM games as I feel the same way about Mudryk who sounds as if he's a fan calling the game, yelling way too often and getting way too excited about some things that didn't even occur (Price with the big save!!!!!...on a shot that was deflected by a defenceman and went 30 rows deep into the stands, missing Price by 10 feet along the way).

TSN and Sportsnet are looking for the same thing - cheap labour.  That's why they're putting people that have no business calling NHL games on TV (Mudryk came up as a highlights anchor and Michaels worked his way up on the radio side where he should have stayed if it wasn't for Kevin Quinn - a long-term veteran of the network - making more money).  Unfortunately, that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I wasn't impressed with the games I've seen him call but I still sometimes flip to them for MTL-EDM games as I feel the same way about Mudryk who sounds as if he's a fan calling the game, yelling way too often and getting way too excited about some things that didn't even occur (Price with the big save!!!!!...on a shot that was deflected by a defenceman and went 30 rows deep into the stands, missing Price by 10 feet along the way).

TSN and Sportsnet are looking for the same thing - cheap labour.  That's why they're putting people that have no business calling NHL games on TV (Mudryk came up as a highlights anchor and Michaels worked his way up on the radio side where he should have stayed if it wasn't for Kevin Quinn - a long-term veteran of the network - making more money).  Unfortunately, that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

You're right about mudryk.  John Bartlett was so much better

39 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I really miss Dick Irwin. He was obviously a habs fan, but he was extremely professional. That used to be a non-negotiable for the job, unlike  today’s overall landscape - political, social, media, whatever, it just seems the  general polarizing political environment of “us against them”, “either you are with us, or against us”, has carried over into the media as well. 

ita unfortunate that there really are no more Danny Gallivan’s or Dock Irwin’s left.  I do like Johnson. I like Friedman and Lebrun from the analysts, but their isn’t a whole lot of others.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I really miss Dick Irwin. He was obviously a habs fan, but he was extremely professional. That used to be a non-negotiable for the job, unlike  today’s overall landscape - political, social, media, whatever, it just seems the  general polarizing political environment of “us against them”, “either you are with us, or against us”, has carried over into the media as well. 

ita unfortunate that there really are no more Danny Gallivan’s or Dock Irwin’s left.  I do like Johnson. I like Friedman and Lebrun from the analysts, but their isn’t a whole lot of others.

Agree 100%, Dick Irwin was the best, a true professional.  And there was nobody better than Danny Gallivan. 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I was really hoping Sportsnet was going to let him go when they hired Chris Cuthbert and that TSN could have picked him back up (although that would have cost money so maybe they wouldn't have).  But instead, he remains with them calling all of one game every four or five weeks.

I actually enjoy listen to the Habs homer broadcasts on TSN, so use too listening  bias Edmonton feed over the years. When Habs are playing Oilers or Flames and I’m blacked out I’ll watch live and listen to it on TSN690 with Robertson/ Momesso, you just have to pause the live television for about 15 seconds or so to match both together,  it sounds live. 👍👊

10 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I actually enjoy listen to the Habs homer broadcasts on TSN, so use too listening  bias Edmonton feed over the years. When Habs are playing Oilers or Flames and I’m blacked out I’ll watch live and listen to it on TSN690 with Robertson/ Momesso, you just have to pause the live television for about 15 seconds or so to match both together,  it sounds live. 👍👊

that is the way I listen to games when not on RDS

sometime I do the same with PVR/ recorded games since the tsn broadcasts are online after the game

On 4/22/2021 at 8:31 PM, dlbalr said:

I was really hoping Sportsnet was going to let him go when they hired Chris Cuthbert and that TSN could have picked him back up (although that would have cost money so maybe they wouldn't have).  But instead, he remains with them calling all of one game every four or five weeks.

I always pray the ESPN+ or NHL Free Game is going to have him on the call. I think it's only happened once this year. That's a real waste of talent to have him and not use him on a regular basis. Any idea how long his contract is? Would love to see him back in the Habs booth on a regular basis, especially now that I'll have regular access to games moving forward. Though, I wonder if ESPN+ is going to give you your choice of home/away broadcast like NHLTV does.

17 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I always pray the ESPN+ or NHL Free Game is going to have him on the call. I think it's only happened once this year. That's a real waste of talent to have him and not use him on a regular basis. Any idea how long his contract is? Would love to see him back in the Habs booth on a regular basis, especially now that I'll have regular access to games moving forward. Though, I wonder if ESPN+ is going to give you your choice of home/away broadcast like NHLTV does.

No idea.  Assuming we're back to more of a normal schedule too, Sportsnet will need their larger contingent of play by play guys.  On the other hand, Bartlett was supposed to be Toronto's regional guy but that slot isn't open so who knows?  Maybe they move on once his deal's up.

37 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

No idea.  Assuming we're back to more of a normal schedule too, Sportsnet will need their larger contingent of play by play guys.  On the other hand, Bartlett was supposed to be Toronto's regional guy but that slot isn't open so who knows?  Maybe they move on once his deal's up.

Seems like they would need more announcers with there being so many more Sunday/Monday/Wednesday/Friday games this year, not less. Although, I guess since announcers aren't on the road, fewer people are able to call more games.

7 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Seems like they would need more announcers with there being so many more Sunday/Monday/Wednesday/Friday games this year, not less. Although, I guess since announcers aren't on the road, fewer people are able to call more games.

Sportsnet has basically used their regional guys on national games during the week in a cost-saving measure.  For example, yesterday's MTL-CGY game was a nationally televised one but they used the Calgary regional team to call it.  They basically have three national play-by-play guys (Bartlett, Jim Hughson, and Harnaryan Singh) that call one game a week tops and in Bartlett (MTL) and Hughson's (VAN) case, it's basically only if the game is in that one city.  Singh, who I suspect we'll have tonight, gets Alberta-based games.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Sportsnet has basically used their regional guys on national games during the week in a cost-saving measure.  For example, yesterday's MTL-CGY game was a nationally televised one but they used the Calgary regional team to call it.  They basically have three national play-by-play guys (Bartlett, Jim Hughson, and Harnaryan Singh) that call one game a week tops and in Bartlett (MTL) and Hughson's (VAN) case, it's basically only if the game is in that one city.  Singh, who I suspect we'll have tonight, gets Alberta-based games.

Ah, I see. So they're basically focusing on having someone who can all each game in person, rather than leaning on the national guys heavily to call games from a studio.