April 23 Canadiens at Calgary 9:00pm

Who is the most important off season pickup by Bergevin?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which player helps us the most?

• Anderson
    • Toffoli
    • Allen
    • Edmundson

Our 4th line was a 1st line, once upon a time. 

So we had a tough game with huge effort on Wednesday. Historically that kind of effort has been followed up with a stinker performance where we don't even show up. Vancouver lost, Calgary lost last game as well so it is looking good as far as playoffs go so does that mean that we will take tonight off? Perhaps we are entering a playoff mentality now and the rest of the season will be effort and wins.

The team practiced yesterday instead of enjoying the scheduled day off - does this mean that we are serious or does that mean that we will be tired and slow?

Word is that Primeau might be playing tonight but nothing has been announced.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Our 4th line was a 1st line, once upon a time. 

In a Galaxy far, far away

I see our coach still doesn't have the guts to make Drouin a healthy scratch....a real shame.  I can only hope that once Price is back and there is cap room to make some adjustments, he's finally banished to the press box. Anybody else would have been long ago. 

That poll made for a very tough decision between Toffoli and Anderson.  Anderson was a tempting choice, given he's the type of player we've desperately needed for ages.  In the end I chose Toffoli, because on a team starved for goals he's produced the most goals, and likely has had a slightly larger impact where it matters most: team points.

Oh-Oh

44 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I see our coach still doesn't have the guts to make Drouin a healthy scratch....a real shame.  I can only hope that once Price is back and there is cap room to make some adjustments, he's finally banished to the press box. Anybody else would have been long ago. 

That poll made for a very tough decision between Toffoli and Anderson.  Anderson was a tempting choice, given he's the type of player we've desperately needed for ages.  In the end I chose Toffoli, because on a team starved for goals he's produced the most goals, and likely has had a slightly larger impact where it matters most: team points.

Caufield is with the media this afternoon and it’s being reported that he might play tonight but nothing official yet. 

It was a tough poll and I picked Allen who has been amazing but I really don’t think there is a bad choice there. The new players have all been excellent - shame about the returning players 

Drouin can be disappointing relative to what we expect from a player with his natural talent and his contract, and also still be worth keeping in the lineup and not a healthy scratch. 

Despite the lack of goals, he still leads the team in assists, has good underlying numbers, and creates offensive opportunities every game. 

Is it what everyone wants from him? No, we need more.

Is it better to keep Paul Byron or Arturri Lehkonen in the lineup ahead of him?  No, its not.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

I went with Taffoli. My ratings of the pickups would be:

1. Taffoli 

2. Allen

3. Anderson 

long-term, I think Taffoli and Anderson will be the best pickups (we’ll probably be up losing Allen in the Expansion draft). Aside from his play I really like Taffoli’s contract $/term. I think that he’s probably MB’s best pickup.
The last guy on the list - Edmondson is still a blah  pickup for me - we needed a significantly better upgrade on defence. I like him

better than Chariot, but we needed and still need significantly better defencemen.

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Drouin can be disappointing relative to what we expect from a player with his natural talent and his contract, and also still be worth keeping in the lineup and not a healthy scratch. 

Despite the lack of goals, he still leads the team in assists, has good underlying numbers, and creates offensive opportunities every game. 

Is it better to keep Paul Byron or Arturri Lehkonen in the lineup ahead of him?  No, its not.

Agree. As much as I’d like to sit him, I don’t know if the message would get through anyways, and I’ll take the enigma and laziness for now, because we need skill. I’d sit Byron over Lekhonan though. I really liked his effort last game.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Right on. This team needs to graduate from good to great. 

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Pretty sure these 2 games this weekend could pretty much lock up a playoff spot. 

Well by Monday night, could basically lock up a spot if Flames 3 game homestand goes up in Flames and Habs lay a clean sweep beat down on em.:gohabsgo:

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I see our coach still doesn't have the guts to make Drouin a healthy scratch....a real shame. 

Realistically, given cap issues, who in hell would replace him?

He has a dumb play or 5 every game, just 2a in last 13games, he isnt big on defending, so he should likely be demoted; but not sure is ever gonna happen.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Realistically, given cap issues, who in hell would replace him?

He has a dumb play or 5 every game, just 2a in last 13games, he isnt big on defending, so he should likely be demoted; but not sure is ever gonna happen.

I, like everyone else, focus too much on the negatives with Drouin.  He does have his bone-headed defensive lapses.  He does give up playing too easily.  He doesn’t know what to do on a breakaway apparently either.  These are all well documented issues.

What we all breeze over is the offence he does create.  A solid pass that doesn’t end up in the net, so no stat is attached, but either resulted a shot on goal or towards goal.  The slick hands he has to get on those breakaways.  He does some things well at times and that’s what he stays in the lineup for.  He can create offence and we need offence right now.  I’m not sure putting in a less offensive minded player to punish Drouin is good for the team right now.

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Caufield, he does what drioun is paid to do. 

Let's see if the habs can play 2 games in a row

Caufield has less than a handful of pro games under his belt.  The last thing the Habs need is Matthew Tkachuk seeing a 5’7 rookie and taking a run at him in his first NHL game.  I would much rather not start his NHL career like that.

Caufield has to play his first game at some point, what difference does make who they play? He did just fine in his first few games with people going after him. 

Drouin is worthless, habs need offense, Caufield may be that guy. 

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Well by Monday night, could basically lock up a spot if Flames 3 game homestand goes up in Flames and Habs lay a clean sweep beat down on em.:gohabsgo:

Winning 3 would almost mathematically eliminate Calgary, even winning 1 in regulation would make it awfully difficult for Calgary as they only have 8 games left after this series. I would be quite happy with 3 points from this series although more is always better. 

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Caufield has to play his first game at some point, what difference does make who they play? He did just fine in his first few games with people going after him. 

Drouin is worthless, habs need offense, Caufield may be that guy. 

Agree, might as well throw him into the deep end, Caulfield has played his entire career with bigger guys taking runs at him.  Tkachuk is the least of my concerns.