Apr. 24, Habs vs Flames, 7 PM

dlbalr

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... If MB survives the season (if the Habs play at least two rounds) I would sign a top 4 LD and keep the 26-30 forward core including Danault and Tatar for one more season ...

I don't disagree with your logic ... but not certain either Tartar or Danault accept a one year contract ... if they did, I expect it would be at least slightly more cap-costly than on a multi-year deal ... that would make upgrades (likely more like tweaks) more challenging

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If the Sens - one of the worst teams in the league - come up with a strategy to neutralize your transition game, in the FIRST game they play against you, than:

a) the early success was a mirage

b) your defence was smoke and irritated and not really that good to begin with ...

AND ... since play always tightens up in the playoffs, even the teams that don't naturally play that style will be trying the same strategy

13 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If the Sens - one of the worst teams in the league - come up with a strategy to neutralize your transition game, in the FIRST game they play against you, than:

a) the early success was a mirage

b) your defence was smoke and irritated and not really that good to begin with

So, the Sens were able to adapt to play to our style.

Then, why have the Habs not been able to adapt to the Sens and the Flames? As has been said, recently the team has been playing as less than the sum of its parts, they should be capable of more than this. Are they really only able to play a single game plan, regardless of the opponent -- and regardless of the coach?

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Using the old-school math, pre-OT/SO, we'd be an 18-17-11 team.

26 defeats 

On the ice, not paper, team is mediocre at best.

Has a mediocre team ever got hot and won a cup?

1 minute ago, DON said:

On the ice, not paper, team is mediocre at best.

Has a mediocre team ever got hot and won a cup?

Forget the cup. I'd be super happy if we were to win two rounds with the current team

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not a big X and O guy but I noticed on Friday night in the third period that the Habs had some success on the cycle and generated some of their chances near the end off that.  Then in the first period of this game, they had some success on the cycle.  Then, to me, it appeared as if they gave up on the cycle entirely and went back to trying to score off the rush.  I don't know if that was a Montreal coaching adjustment or something Calgary did to counter that but I'd like to see a more concerted effort to get back to the cycle.  No, they're not built to do that very well but when you're not scoring off the rush, trying something different isn't the worst idea.

I totally agree. They don't have the defense to spring players on the rush. DD likes forward support on breakouts. Its only logical that scoring off the rush isn't going to happen if all 5 skaters are back. The logical next step is to work on cycling and playing the walls in the offensive zone.

1 minute ago, BCHabnut said:

If they make the playoffs at all, it will be one and done against Toronto.

It "should" be one-sided affair...BUT, are a fair number of upsets in round 1, maybe will be different with no overlap, or not?

2 minutes ago, DON said:

It "should" be one-sided affair...BUT, are a fair number of upsets in round 1, maybe will be different with no overlap, or not?

With so many more games played against each other there should be fewer upsets as the teams know each other inside out ... but "should" is never a guarantee.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I don't disagree with your logic ... but not certain either Tartar or Danault accept a one year contract ... if they did, I expect it would be at least slightly more cap-costly than on a multi-year deal ... that would make upgrades (likely more like tweaks) more challenging

Agreed, this is the opportunity for Tartar and Danault to get some financial security and I would be very very surprised to see them sign a 1 year deal. You are taking a big gamble by signing for 1 year (ie. injury) so I would be shocked to see that although Taylor Hall did and it has not worked out well for him, doubt he will get a huge contract with any length in the summer. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We've played a lot better against Toronto than Calgary.  Its just a better matchup.  I know the record is about the same, but weve given the Leafs fits, Calgary, not so much.

One upset can easily happen.

But, no superstar forwards, sketchy d, young centres and average goaltending, dont think this will play out well for Bergevin.

Honest to god, every time Weber touches puck in his own end, it is pretty scary. Even simple passes he put in guys skates or flabs the pass altogether and just seems to playing stupid or cant adjust to losing 1/2 (or a full one) step

36 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So, the Sens were able to adapt to play to our style.

Then, why have the Habs not been able to adapt to the Sens and the Flames? As has been said, recently the team has been playing as less than the sum of its parts, they should be capable of more than this. Are they really only able to play a single game plan, regardless of the opponent -- and regardless of the coach?

Seems to be that they very little ability to make in game adjustments. That was an issue with Julien, and is also one with DD. If something is not working, friggin change the approach!!!  Why is Stall being rolled out like he’s the 2007 Stall!?? Why do we have two lumbering dmen consistently being played together. Why can’t they come up with a new transition game?  

38 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Forget the cup. I'd be super happy if we were to win two rounds with the current team

Right now I’d be kind of happy with avoiding a complete collapse that has them on the outside looking in. There is no way Calgary should have been able to make up as much ground as they have. 

2 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I’m thinking Edmonton will make a offer to Tatar or Danault, each one can fill a void in there lineup and lots of cap room opening for them in upcoming season. 

Edmonton will have lots of cap room if they don't resign Larsson, Hopkins and Barrie. I expect resigning those guys is a bigger priority than going after Danault or Tatar, especially if Klefbom's health is still questionable.  

Well, somehow this team has managed to excite the fan base to heights it hasn't seen in a long time, only to play some of the worst hockey we've seen in a long time. 

Habs are still in the driver's seat in regards to making the playoffs, but man it is hard to have any confidence in them getting there. The injuries combined with the remaining schedule are huge hurdles to overcome. It seems like there needs to be a switch flicked or a defining moment to occur in order to right this ship. Not many days off, can't rest and regroup under the new coach. Can't fire the coach, just got him. Can't trade for anyone else, deadline has passed. Maybe the insertion of a certain prolific goal scorer into the lineup rejuvenates the whole squad and they go on a run?

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Maybe the insertion of a certain prolific goal scorer into the lineup rejuvenates the whole squad and they go on a run?

What's the combination of roster moves that can make it work cap-wise though?  I don't see a viable one.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The only viable ones are LTIR placements.  

Yep.  But many who are calling for Caufield to be called up aren't taking the time to realize that there isn't a set of moves that can be done to do it otherwise and with a bunch of DTD injuries, an LTIR placement simply can't happen.

51 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yep.  But many who are calling for Caufield to be called up aren't taking the time to realize that there isn't a set of moves that can be done to do it otherwise and with a bunch of DTD injuries, an LTIR placement simply can't happen.

Might Price not be a potential candidate if the concussion is bad enough ... presumably it would take his agreement that it is best to allow him ample time to recover and not return before the playoffs ... other teams seem to have cooperative players

55 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Might Price not be a potential candidate if the concussion is bad enough ... presumably it would take his agreement that it is best to allow him ample time to recover and not return before the playoffs ... other teams seem to have cooperative players

That's the only logical possibility based on the current injuries.  But do you want to take your number one goalie (in terms of usage, at least) out of the lineup for extra time than needed when you're trying to make the playoffs?  A week or so from now if he's not making any progress, then sure, it becomes more of a viable option (though it'd still burn the final recall) but I don't think the Habs are willing to ask Allen and Primeau to take the team the rest of the way through the season in order to afford Caufield's recall at this point in time.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

26 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's the only logical possibility based on the current injuries.  But do you want to take your number one goalie (in terms of usage, at least) out of the lineup for extra time than needed when you're trying to make the playoffs?  A week or so from now if he's not making any progress, then sure, it becomes more of a viable option (though it'd still burn the final recall) but I don't think the Habs are willing to ask Allen and Primeau to take the team the rest of the way through the season in order to afford Caufield's recall at this point in time.

Largely why I bolded and underlined "potential" ... I agree it isn't ideal to depend on Allen and Primeau in a playoff chase ... but the risk of Price coming back too soon and aggravating the concussion going into the playoffs as almost as bad ...  as Price isn't expected back on the ice when the Habs return to Montreal next week, then it sounds like at least another week ... the classic example of whatever decision he makes has the risk to explode in MB's face.

INTENTIONALLY & TOTALLY SARCASTIC: if the Habs were to miss the playoffs with Price on LTIR then Bergevin has his built in excuse ... no Price, no Gallagher ... team would have made it otherwise

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Do you want Price in the playoffs with no more starts in the regular season?

I mean if he's not gonna be back, then do it.  But i think your starting goalie is more important than Caufield if you think he'll be back before 3 weeks.  (and you can back date it to tuesday).  So its been a week at least for price since he's back in Montreal and not skating.  Will it be two more?