best habs fighter of all time

bookworm

my undisputed first place winner is john kordic, that guy was insane...most guys against him would hang on for dear life while kordic would work like heck to get an arm free and then the speed hammers came. messed up lots of people cause a lefty although once left got tired started with the rights. the only guy who stayed with him was jay miller and those were some dandies. miller wasn't near as dominant against everyone else as kordic was, and kordic's celebrations are legendary in my house. i can still hear the announcer saying "and kordic is blowing kisses to michel bergeron...as if to say you've gotta get a guy tougher then that (richard zemlak) if you think he can handle kordic."

hounourable mentions to pierre bouchard, john ferguson and chris "knuckles" nilan.

i'd have to think about worst and get back on that, there's been a few bad ones, blouin a good example.

in all honesty i have only seen ivanans fight chara and this one guy on the manitoba moose at a game here in winnipeg and i am completely and thoroughly unimpressed so far although admittedly can't judge on just two fights. but both times ivanans circled around like he either didn't know what to do or didn't want to be there and once they finally got together he got dropped both times. chara is huge but the guy in winnipeg wasn't. i hope he proves me wrong but i don't see any fire in the one they call bigman.

Too bad we didn't have Gino Odjick as a habs for a few more years of his career. The guy had 2567 total PIM in the NHL, and kicked Tie Domi's butt while wearing a Habs uniform, which deserves honourable mention in my book for that alone. He was the Gazette's favourite habs for awhile, and I think he even got a hat trick (egads) before his head injuries put him out for good.

Originally posted by crazydoo

Get Worrell!!!!!

Please, people need to stop with the Worrell crap. The man is an alcholic and has no business being a habs. Let the man get his life together, otherwise he'll continue going around pretending to be white European teammates. Do we really want a guy impersonating Sundstrom or Koivu?

Nilan is my choice. Not only was he a fearless fighter, but he was also a pretty good checking winger as well. Gainey-Carbonneau-Nilan was the premium checking line of its era and Nilan was a good part of it.

If you mean ONLY fighting... Kordic was a beast, but he had no brains. I remember seeing Mario Roberge destroy Bob Probert at the Forum one Saturday night. He was a hitting machine.

My vote also goes to Nilan for his combination of toughness and hockey skill. He was an excellent skater and a tough fighter. Kordic's biggest contribution to the Habs was getting traded to TO for Russ Courtnall. John Ferguson gets an honorable mention on reputation alone.

Worst, Blouin, Mick Vukota

for the record, I'll say kordik.

I don't know if you guys remember 3 years ago when zednik took conroy at the bell....man, what a fight!!

fights between guys you don't expect are sometimes the best.

as for the wosrt, anybody after gino

Definatly Chris Nilan....not just for his toughness, but for the pure entertainment value...who else could slam the penalty box door after fighting, and make that "why am I getting a penalty" face? Also, the fact that he was from Boston must have gotten under Bruins fans skin.

I don't know who was or how to really evaluate who would be the 'best fighter' of all time.

First of all, I don't know of many or any who were fighters before John Ferguson. There surely must have been. I know that the Rocket wasn't reluctant to take up that kind of challenge.

The ones that stand out for me are: John Ferguson, Pierre Bouchard, Chris Nilan and John Kordic.

I suppose I don't know much more than that because I wasn't much into that aspect of the game.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Originally posted by Strummerman

Well it usually comes down to John Ferguson and or Chris Nilan. Nilan didnt lose many fights but I think he wasnt big enuff for the likes of Bob Probert. Fergie rarely lost. As for the worst fighters Gordie Mcguire I think was his name, jean Hamel Terry Harper to name a few

I think your thinking of Gordie Dwyer

Nothing beats the time Chris Nilan VS. the Bruins trying to get a fight started and the "B" player kept turtuling, lying on the ice, looking to see if he was still there, then lying again... I'll always remember Don Cherry saying that was the most embarrasing sight seeing that of a Bruin player doing that EVER...

See this fight as an example of Chris's work:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/5...49/BrowvNil.avi

I cannot remember the best fighters of the 60s and 70s but I will rank the best I have seen in a Habs uniform since the 80s to present.

1. John Kordic

2. Chris Nilan

3. Mario Roberge

4. Lyle Odelein

5. Steve Martinson

6. Gerry Fleming

7. Stephane Quintal

8. Turner Stevenson

9. Chris Murray

10. Darren Langdon

Worst Fighter

1. Gordie Dwyer

2. Slyvain Blouin

Actually to add a few to the list

Ted Harris was a great fighter but he fought little. As for everyone saying Nilan was a good player as well, John Ferguson was a steady left winger. I remember him once deking Bobby Orr out of his pants and going around him to score. Not many players can take credit for that.

How bout Donald Brashear. No one has mentioned him. Frankly his fights when he was a habs were rather lame. He held on a lot. Dont know why once he left the Habs he became a much better fighter.

Ok Pierre Bouchard lost to Stan Jonathan but he won a few fights as well before that. Larry Robinson had some memorable fights as well. I remember he had one memorable fight with Grant Mulvey. I also recall he got the better of Stan Jonathan once.

John Kordic had a good start as a fighter with habs. However, he started to lose often in his later days. I remember he lost a fight to Tie Domi when he was a Ranger.

Anybody remember Todd Ewen? Holy smokes, what a gorilla. I recall one fight were he literally picked up his foe and dumped him, head over heels, into the opposing bench. It was hilarious, but I forget which palooka he did that to or what team the guy was on. Ewen tried the same move a few nights later, but it didn't work...I think he was hoping it could become a signature move.

Apparently, Todd was also a nice guitar player.

Shane Corson wasn't any Nilan, but I'd like to add that he sure could throw his dukes when the time came.

I don't know who was the best fighter, but the most important fight, in my opinion, was the one we had with the Broad Street Bullies in the '76 Cup Final. The Flyers were going for their 3rd consecutive Cup using goon hockey tactics, when the likes of Larry Robinson and Serge Savard, yes Serge Savard, took on Saleski and Schultz in one of those "pick your partner and start pummelling melees", and won both fights pretty decisively. The Flyers were never the same after that particular altercation, and the Habs cruised to another Cup.

Larry Robinson. He didn't fight much because no one would take him on. I remember when he dropped Stan Johnathon will one punch. There's also a Red Fisher story about a brawl with Philly in 76 where Big Bird was in the room getting a skate fixed when Shultz starts a brawl. Apparently Larry comes out and gives him a pounding while his skates are still untied.

The Big Bird had the reach . Nilan was a machine and Fergie was the the man when I was a little tike. I miss Landon and his clutch the jersey uppercut labs from last season.