April 26, Canadiens @ Flames, 6:30pm EST

TurdBurglar

For as frustrating as last week was, the Habs are basically in the same spot they were this time a week ago, six points up on Calgary and now the Flames don't have any more head-to-heads to gain quickly.  This was a huge win, great job defensively in the third.

30 minutes ago, bbp said:

I never want to see Gustaffson in a Habs jersey again.

Useless.

Imagine if his $1.5M wasn't on the cap ... but "you can never have enough defencemen" ... even if they can't play defence

36 minutes ago, bbp said:

I never want to see Gustaffson in a Habs jersey again.

Useless.

Ironically, he's positive in every stats category. Shots %, scoring chances %, high-danger chances %, corsi, fenwick, xGF. By the stats, he was the best D of the game for the Habs.

Just now, Trizzak said:

Mete and roster flexibility > Gustafsson and zero roster flexibility. 

I suspect Bergevin thought he had a deal for a top D not named Gustafsson when he put Mete on waivers. But the deal never happened.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I suspect Bergevin thought he had a deal for a top D not named Gustafsson when he put Mete on waivers. But the deal never happened.

Well apparently they thought they had a chance at Tony Deangelo, so:

Mete > Remorseless POS

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Meh, they are 10 points back.

Yes they have 5 games in hand, but they aren't going 5-0-0

It's not that I have confidence in Vancouver, it's that I don't have confidence in Montreal.

56 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Mete and roster flexibility > Gustafsson and zero roster flexibility. 

55 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

With the acquisition of Merrill he still had 7 NHL defencemen without Mete ... the mistake was the desperation to add a BODY on defence ... at that he seemingly could have had (for approximately) Ben Hutton for a 5th, Erik Gudbranson for a 7th and marginal AHL defenceman (Brandon Fortunato), Hayden Fleury for a 2022 6th and 29 yr-old 3rd pairing defenceman (Jani Hakanpaa), Jordie Benn for a 6th ...

EDIT: Realized as I was putting my dog out that I had intended to cross-check those names to the salary-cap ... but that enthusiasm has depleted ... so apologies if any would have been worse cap-wise

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Ironically, he's positive in every stats category. Shots %, scoring chances %, high-danger chances %, corsi, fenwick, xGF. By the stats, he was the best D of the game for the Habs.

I find it funny because I sorta expected that most people were grossly over exaggerating his defensive inabilities.  I'm still undecided on if Gustafsson came as advertised or if his defensive ineptitude was understated.  

However, even though he's made numerous big defensive gaffs that almost lead to goals, he is responsible for 1 Habs goal plus he has almost scored numerous times.  He has also undone numerous of his own mistakes.   As scary as he looks at times he still hasnt burned them yet and over-all he has helped.  Thats the wild part.   

In his defence though he was a healthy scratch with Philly and then quarantined so he hasnt played in quite a while.  Therefore, its highly unlikely that he is in game shape so after a few games he should get better.  He likely wont get a ton better defensively but wont cause as many gaffs and he'll probably score or create more goals. 

Nice to get the much needed win against the hated flames (by me at least).

also nice to see weber finally score a goal again. Hopefully he’ll get start scoring more regularly.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

It's not that I have confidence in Vancouver, it's that I don't have confidence in Montreal.

I feel the same way, there should be no conceivable way we miss the playoffs, but than given the lead we had, we should have been a lot further ahead of the flames and knuckleheads.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

This is an example is a poster child that stats without context and eye test are pretty meaningless. 

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

I feel the same way, there should be no conceivable way we miss the playoffs, but than given the lead we had, we should have been a lot further ahead of the flames and knuckleheads.

It would be  highly highly improbable to miss the playoffs now, if the Habs get 9 points in their last 9 games the Flames would have to run the table and get 16 points in their last 8 games to finish ahead of them.  Vancouver has a brutal schedule finishing with 7 games in 10 days. I guess stranger things have happened. 

It wasn't pretty, but it was a win, and that's a nice change of pace.  I hope Caufield gets a grade A scoring chance soon...I feel like he's going to bury it when he does.

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It would be  highly highly improbable to miss the playoffs now, if the Habs get 9 points in their last 9 games the Flames would have to run the table and get 16 points in their last 8 games to finish ahead of them.  Vancouver has a brutal schedule finishing with 7 games in 10 days. I guess stranger things have happened. 

I agree the Habs are starting to look fairly safe at making the playoffs.  Just like dlbar said they are basically in same spot as last week, but now 3 more games have been played.  If they dont make the playoffs I'm thinking that an excuse of this years crazy condensed schedule and having to play 17 games in 30 days might be enough to save MB job. 

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

It wasn't pretty, but it was a win, and that's a nice change of pace.  I hope Caufield gets a grade A scoring chance soon...I feel like he's going to bury it when he does.

he played well, tripped his own D and that created a rush into the Habs zone but they did not score

He shot from tight angles like Gallagher does but didn’t score 

he had a good chance early in the game.

overall, a 7.0 on 10.0 performance

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Ironically, he's positive in every stats category. Shots %, scoring chances %, high-danger chances %, corsi, fenwick, xGF. By the stats, he was the best D of the game for th

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Of course he did. He basically only started in the offensive end.