April 28, Maple Leafs @ Canadiens, 8pm EST

TurdBurglar

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's a veteran player who has been up all year without complaining and has Allan Walsh for an agent who is known to stir up trouble (and has for Frolik in the past when he's not happy) and represents a few other Montreal players/prospects.  Sometimes, you just have to play nice.

I always thought the Frolik contract was in large part a favour to Walsh ... don't think Frolik was getting many, if any, offers ... but you are right that it never hurts to have an agent "owe you one", no matter how tiny.

Although the Habs had a full taxi squad, why with 8 roster defencemen is Ouellet still on the taxi squad ... could easily have added Poehling or another forward in Xavier's place to be able to better support the NHL teams' needs

Dare I say it?

# of goals caused by Gustafsson: 0

# of goals caused by Merrill:  1

Surprisingly, Merrill has had 3 great scoring chances since joining the Habs. 

Great snipe by Suzuki.  He needs to use that shot more, he's scored numerous times with it.   The Habs might still have a chance if they get the next goal.

55 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I always thought the Frolik contract was in large part a favour to Walsh ... don't think Frolik was getting many, if any, offers ... but you are right that it never hurts to have an agent "owe you one", no matter how tiny.

Although the Habs had a full taxi squad, why with 8 roster defencemen is Ouellet still on the taxi squad ... could easily have added Poehling or another forward in Xavier's place to be able to better support the NHL teams' needs

Don't forget, Ouellet was seventh on the depth chart at the start of the road trip they just finished while they were waiting for Merrill/Gustafsson to clear quarantine.  Now, they can put better forward options on there but they should have a defenceman on there and he makes the most sense.

Having said that, they recalled Teasdale and Pezzetta.  We'll see if those are the actual recalls or just 'plug' recalls for the day as they've often done before. 

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Don't forget, Ouellet was seventh on the depth chart at the start of the road trip they just finished while they were waiting for Merrill/Gustafsson to clear quarantine.  Now, they can put better forward options on there but they should have a defenceman on there and he makes the most sense.

Having said that, they recalled Teasdale and Pezzetta.  We'll see if those are the actual recalls or just 'plug' recalls for the day as they've often done before. 

I was looking specifically at since their return as it impacted on night's game ... Teasdale has had an interesting season for someone who missed 19/20 entirely ... but Pezzetta better be a "plug"

Absolute energy sapping goal to give up there, but let's not pretend this game is on the goaltending. The Habs aren't going to win many games while averaging less than 2 goals per game while Gallagher is out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Trizzak said:

Absolute energy sapping goal to give up there, but let's not pretend this game is on the goaltending. The Habs aren't going to win many games while averaging less than 2 goals per game while Gallagher is out. 

100%   The inability of this team to score has been an issue for a long time.  Our lineup is littered with guys who have pitiful goal totals for the season.

Leafs sitting since Saturday.

Habs finish a Western Trip on Monday and now First game at home.  First game at home after a western trip is bad for any team.

Then Tatar, Gallagher, Drouin, Byron, Price, Out..... Yeah, this is about what I expected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

Not sure if a whole lot energy was sapped. It was a VERY ugly goal. But if what was sapped can be considered “energy”, we may as well be dead.

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Leafs sitting since Saturday.

Habs finish a Western Trip on Monday and now First game at home.  First game at home after a western trip is bad for any team.

Then Tatar, Gallagher, Drouin, Byron, Price, Out..... Yeah, this is about what I expected.

I'm not one to make excuses, but this raises a good point.  3 of the top-6 forward group out and the #2 goalie, but #1 on the depth chart.  It does make a valid point.

Take 3 of the top-6 off of any team and your probably going to have scoring issues.

43 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

The Leafs must be giddy with the thought of facing us in the 1st round.  This is depressing.

If the plan is to get the Leafs over confident going into the 1st round of the playoffs then they executed the plan well tonight. 

58 minutes ago, Pino10 said:

They keep showing Dubas. I want to see Bergevin admiring what he’s built. 

Have you posted in a single thread after a win? Or are you gonna be one of the posters who only shows up for losses.  Seems trollish to me. We already have a couple of posters who do this... just wondering if you're a third.

semi-watched the game, felt they were going to loose before the game and that feeling grew 10x after the first Leafs goal.

Some positive observations: Caufield can follow the play and is not a total black hole, but he is keeping to the periphery and I do not think he should be a top-6 option at this point in his career.

Better luck to the Habs next game... which doesn't diminish my belief the Habs can beat the Leafs in the playoffs if they have a healthy lineup

Frolik & Staal, hope they add something in the playoffs.

I think you can (should) only dress 1 slow old timer/game and Perry is it.

Has Frolik done anything positive?

At least Habs had 33 shots, 7 for Toffoli and 6 hits 3shots for Anderson, so those two were active again.

And Caufield at least had couple shots again and i can guarantee it wont be a Mete-like timeline getting his 1st goal. 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

I hate how much has been made of the Gallagher injury - as if he is some sort of franchise player. He’s a wonderful player, but a team that can’t win without Brendan Gallagher? Come on.

However, when you add Drouin and Tatar on top of that...fair to say that, for a club which is supposed to get goals by committee, losing an entire top-6 line is a legitimate problem. 

Byron is nothing, and Price has basically been a backup-quality goalie this season, but the latter is obviously a significant subtraction because Allen is not really a bona-ride #1, Carry-the-Mail type of goalie. He needs to be part of a rotation.

To my mind, the goal now has to back into the playoffs, get healthy, and (hopefully) mutate into the 2014 LA Kings in the postseason. 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Have you posted in a single thread after a win? Or are you gonna be one of the posters who only shows up for losses.  Seems trollish to me. We already have a couple of posters who do this... just wondering if you're a third.

I think the habs with a full lineup, the proper system and Price playing like he did in last years playoffs will beat the leafs in the first round. Playoff hockey is a totally different game. I almost hope they lose all these games in the regular season then stun them and their cockiness in the first round. I can just see them beat them in the first game and then the ghosts of playoff pasts will run through leaf nation. I really do see it playing out that way.