Penguins future in Pittsburgh in doubt

Tony_

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=146628&hubname=

Associated Press

12/11/2005 2:05:47 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Penguins owner-captain Mario Lemieux said he is doubtful that the team will remain in Pittsburgh after its Mellon Arena lease expires in 2007, citing a lack of progress on a new arena.

The Penguins are projecting a $7 million US loss this season, a figure that assumes the team will draw near-capacity crowds and advance to the second round of the playoffs.

''I think we're really running out of time,'' Lemieux said. ''We probably ran out of time already. It's been unfortunate that the city and the county haven't been willing to work with us over the last two or three years.''

Lemieux has said for several years that the Penguins would not be able to survive in Pittsburgh without a new arena. Mellon Arena is the oldest and smallest arena in the National Hockey League.

The lease allows the team to solicit offers for the franchise beginning in June 2006. Kansas City is among the cities that have expressed interest in the team.

''We'll sit down with everybody and understand what's at stake for our investment and what's best for the franchise'' when the board of directors is scheduled to meet this week, Lemieux said.

------------------------

Second round of the playoffs a bit optimistic if you ask me.

Anyway, I wonder which city will get the Pens?

A new city or maybe going back to a old city like Winipeg, Quebec, Hartford and so on.

I knew this was coming, and I had heard the team thinks it will lose millions of dollars this season. The thing that I don't understand is how a team can sell 95% of its tickets and still lose so much money. That tells me that there is a problem in the management of that team. If they knew they were going to lose so much money, why did they spend so much money on Recchi, LeClair, Gonchar, Palffy, etc?

And how do they expect a new arena to help matters? New arenas are always smaller than the old ones, and will a less than 5% increase in attendance help matters? I don't think so.

Sid in Winnipeg white would be cool but I'd like to see the Pens resurface in Hamilton. Of course they'd have to find millions of dollars to $hut up the leaf$ but Sid in Canada's steeltown (I know, the Habs would need to relocate their AHL team, NFLD?) would be sweet for the multi-millions of leaf h8ters around the world.

dream on with québec, It won't happen, even though I wish it would.

actually, I'd love to see them in winterpeg. they wouldn't have to change their name.

the last thing we need is another team in the states, though it would increase our chances to land sid at 25

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

And how do they expect a new arena to help matters? New arenas are always smaller than the old ones, and will a less than 5% increase in attendance help matters? I don't think so.

New arenas are always smaller? I didn't know that. Actually, I'm pretty sure the Bell Centre is bigger than the Forum (which was bigger than the Mellon). Also, the newer arenas typically have more corporate boxes, which are very lucrative.

I'd love for the Habs to purchase the Pens, then move Crosby over to the Habs and then do whatever they wish with the rest of the team, who would care.

Yes, it could happen.:)

[Edited on 2005/12/12 by Rooster]

After seeing last night's game of the Pens against the Wings, the Pens are doomed if they remain in Pittsburgh.

If it wasn't for Fleury this team would have easily lost 15-0.

He made save after save after save after save after save after save after save after save after save and did this all night long while his teammates were useless.

All the turnovers throughout the game, anyone else in nets would have crashed and burned but this time Fleury seems to have gained more confidence in his play.

So many odd man rushes for Detroit that I felt bad for Sid and all Pens fans around. At one point, they showed Sid (who was wearing a mic) just telling his teammates (he was talking to Gonchar at the time) to work harder and try to gain control of the puck to get some offence going.

At one point Zetterberg just walked right through the Pens D while they were on powerplay and scored a nice shorthanded goal.

If you ask me this team needs new coaching and maybe a change of scenary.

• 7 months later...

The Canadian entity that vied for ownership of the Penguins has retracted.

Hoping to see another NHL franchise in Canada, I was saddened. I fondly recall the Jets and Nordiques.

post-gazette.com article

"Those behind the Canadian bid, who have been careful to keep their identity secret, had been thought to have ties to Hamilton, Ontario.

[...] The [four] remaining bidders are:

Toronto native and Hartford businessman Sam Fingold, who has ties to Kansas City and its new arena but has said Plan B might be workable. He is partnered with his father and brother and would buy the team as a family venture.

Boston area businessman Lawrence Gottendiener, who has no known partners. He has talked of wanting to keep the Penguins here or move them to Hartford.

New York businessman Andrew Murstein, who has lined up a host of local investors, including Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino. Murstein has pledged to keep the team in town.

Ohio businessman and Arena Football team owner Jim Renacci, a Ringgold High School graduate who also wants to keep the team here. He has lined up Western Pennsylvania native George Karl, the coach of the Denver Nuggets, among his partners."

Winnipeg Pegiuns...

Has a nice ring to it.

it does but winterpeg is too cold for penguins

New York businessman Andrew Murstein, who has lined up a host of local investors, including Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino. Murstein has pledged to keep the team in town.

I was a little surprised that Cuban's name was linked to the Penguins. I thought he went on the record as saying that he had no real interest in being an owner, either outright or as part of a group, of an NHL franchise. And given his reputation as an NBA owner, I'm not so sure that the Board of Governors would be very welcoming of him and his behaviour, specifically towards the NBA front office and its officials. He certainly would generate some press in the US media though.