April 30, Jets @ Canadiens, 7PM EST

Trizzak

"The three R's: readiness, recuperation, and conditioning! You see, after the game, a lot of guys like to ice up their arm. Still, other fellas think that heat is the way to go. But I, have discovered the secret, Henry... hot ice! I heat up... the ice cubes! It's the best of both worlds!"

Might be reaching the bottom of the barrel for coaching advice...

Lines at practice were:

Kotkaniemi - Danault - Anderson

Toffoli - Suzuki - Armia

Lehkonen - Evans - Caufield

Frolik - Staal - Perry

Edmundson - Petry

Chiarot - Romanov

Gustafsson - Merrill

Allen

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Flames beat Oilers 3-1. Four points back of Montreal. Calgary has 7 games left in 19 days. Habs play their final 8 games in 13 days.

boy O boy, most are talking about the Habs playing the leafs in the playoffs. I certainly hope so! 

Nah, playing Oilers, Jets will skid to 4th and we fly past them. in my hopes anyway.... Leafs 2nd round

Interesting that KK is out of the C slot. I’m also not convinced that putting Caufield with a zero-offence rookie and a cement-handed plumber is exactly setting him up for success.

The team’s a mess at this point

• Upvote 1

It seems the Ducharme blender is at least as powerful as the Therrien blender was. Admittedly we're missing four forwards but still ...

As to Caufield with Lehkonen and Evans ... yeah, maybe you're right. But I think they are capable of digging the puck out and getting it to Caufield: Evans was averaging an assist every other game in Laval, but he has not had a chance to play next to someone who can score while on the Habs. The upside of being on this (fourth?) line for Caufield is that he would also have easier opposition.

The big issue is at LW where we are missing Tatar, Drouin, and Byron... thats 3 of the top 4 at the position, with only Toffoli and Lehkonen as regulars who are available.  Hence the need to move KK to LW.

Ducharme hinted there could be changes to the defense because they are a little banged up right now. 

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Interesting that KK is out of the C slot. I’m also not convinced that putting Caufield with a zero-offence rookie and a cement-handed plumber is exactly setting him up for success.

The team’s a mess at this point

Alternate take: Caufield has had two games of jittery and somewhat selfish play, and putting him with two hard-working, defensively-responsible forwards is helping him more than hurting him while he finds his footing in the NHL. 

I am fine resting Tatar and Byron. They have been in effective for a while

at this point Inexpect as much from Caufield than from Frolik: fill a spot and don’t hurt the team; but he seems to be getting scoring chances more that the old man... so there is hope

If Romanov doesn’t start scoring, I would start trying different combinations in D to get more production from the backend without compromising defensive coverage 

as for winning/loosing : Allen or bust !:halm:

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

As to Caufield with Lehkonen and Evans ... yeah, maybe you're right. But I think they are capable of digging the puck out and getting it to Caufield: Evans was averaging an assist every other game in Laval, but he has not had a chance to play next to someone who can score while on the Habs. The upside of being on this (fourth?) line for Caufield is that he would also have easier opposition.

I think that's a big part of it.  The Habs appear to be trying to stretch out their offensive depth which is tough with Drouin, Tatar, and Gallagher out.  Putting Caufield on that third line (Frolik-Staal-Perry is probably the fourth) should give him easier matchups.

5 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Nah, playing Oilers, Jets will skid to 4th and we fly past them. in my hopes anyway.... Leafs 2nd round

That's pretty optimistic. I had a feeling Flames would win last night, they were desperate and Oilers were playing back to back and likely pretty comfortable after beating the Jets 2 in a row. Now we get the Jets who will be a little cranky after losing 2 to the Oilers. Things could tighten up. It could go to the last game of the season. 

I know I’ll probably be corrected on this but here it goes.

If the Habs can win 2 or collect 4 points in the final 8 games, Calgary would have to go 4-3 in their final 7 games, bare minimum, to come down to a tie breaker for the last spot.

Vancouver would have to go 8-3-1 in their final 12 under the same assumption of Habs getting 4 points in 8 games.

If the Habs can go .500, it’s a lock outside of one of Calgary or Vancouver going on a perfect run.

I think it’s safe to say Habs are going to be in 4th.  If they drop out of 4th, they deserve it.

5 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

If the Habs can win 2 or collect 4 points in the final 8 games, Calgary would have to go 4-3 in their final 7 games, bare minimum, to come down to a tie breaker for the last spot.

Vancouver would have to go 8-3-1 in their final 12 under the same assumption of Habs getting 4 points in 8 games.

If the Habs can go .500, it’s a lock outside of one of Calgary or Vancouver going on a perfect run.

I think it’s safe to say Habs are going to be in 4th.  If they drop out of 4th, they deserve it.

All true

This team is no stranger to long losing streaks and considering our injuries and brutal schedule I won’t count it out. 

All we likely need are 2 wins and I hope we can make it happen. We can still do damage in the playoffs 

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I agree with your math. I totally agree with "If they drop out of 4th, they deserve it".  That would be an epic collapse. I don't like the fact they are playing a good team tonight who has lost 5 in a row. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's pretty optimistic. I had a feeling Flames would win last night, they were desperate and Oilers were playing back to back and likely pretty comfortable after beating the Jets 2 in a row. Now we get the Jets who will be a little cranky after losing 2 to the Oilers. Things could tighten up. It could go to the last game of the season. 

Shouldn't the Habs be a little cranky by now, too?

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree with your math. I totally agree with "If they drop out of 4th, they deserve it".  That would be an epic collapse. I don't like the fact they are playing a good team tonight who has lost 5 in a row. 

Last 8 games are 2 sets of each of  Oilers and Ottawa, 1 vs Jets and 3 vs Toronto, I believe.  Ottawa is Ottawa, Jets are in a bit of a slide but they have played well against the Habs, Oilers are doing well but haven’t played well against the Habs, and Toronto has 2 extra players out there with the refs.  I’m fairly confident the Habs can pull a win out of Edmonton and one of Winnipeg or Ottawa or one from each.  I don’t think they will beat Ottawa tomorrow night on the second game of a back to back where Ottawa has tonight off, once again.

Or you could look at 3rd place.

The Jets are 6 points ahead but the Habs have a game in hand. 

Win this one and its 4 points. 

Beat the Sens tomorrow (in your game in hand) and suddenly you are two points back of the Jets for 3rd place and a matchup with Edmonton in the first round. 

• Like 1