April 30, Jets @ Canadiens, 7PM EST

Trizzak

Nice comeback, hopefully Armia's injury isn't serious as they can't afford any more injuries.

Worth noting, Teasdale and Pezzetta remain on the taxi squad.  I thought they'd have moved to 'real' recalls by now but perhaps Teasdale is next in line.

.500 hockey all the way to the playoffs 

Habs win , played a strong game despite having the less talented team

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What happened to Suzuki at the end?

Armia was hit fairly hard from behind into the glass in the corner.  He was slow to get up and get off the ice and it looked like he might be concussed.  That definitely isnt good because he's already been out with 1 this season.  I hope he is alright.   

25 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Frolik is a safety blanket. He's playing mistake-free minutes, making simple plays, and keeping Ducharme's blood pressure down when he's on the ice. Those other guys could probably offer more positives but their negatives are unknown. 

I totally agree, and the 1st few games Frolik played when he was originally subbed in here and there he looked terrible too.  However, he wasnt in game shape for the speed of the NHL.

36 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

So that Kulak sits and gets further from game shape?  I agree they need to keep players ready for playoffs but I just don't see Gustaffson being a good choice for playoff hockey

With what we have seen from Frolik, my question is whether Poehling, Blandisi, Teasdale or even Weal would offer more.

Thats the funny thing is I often contradict myself but that's due to me making choices on what I'd do based on MB's decisions on the players - which I don't always agree with vs what I would do.  ex: I'd rather see Phoeling play than Frolik too.  I never would have singed Frolik, but MB did, so they sorta need to play him vs prospects. 

Similarly, I like Kulak and I prefer him over Chiarot - and again, I didnt sign those contracts.  I'm not a big Chiarot fan, and the Habs didnt really need Chiarot & Weber, more like 1 or the other. 

It seems crazy but I want to see Gustafsson get in game shape to be able to properly evaluate the guy.  I realize he isnt good defensively, but he has played 6 NHL seasons.  He must be better than what we've seen so far because he's been so bad that he probably wouldnt even make the Rockets. 

41 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Armia was hit fairly hard from behind into the glass in the corner.  He was slow to get up and get off the ice and it looked like he might be concussed.  That definitely isnt good because he's already been out with 1 this season.  I hope he is alright.   

Definitely worrisome re: Armia. It sure looked like a concussion to me

Is anyone sure where the puck was when Armia was hit?  I could be wrong but I don't think the puck was in the corner anymore and it possibly wasnt even in the Jets zone when he was hit.  It was a high from behind hit, that was sort of a run, and I think it might have been late too.

On the feed I saw it barely showed it because the Jets had the puck in the neutral zone and entered the Habs end.  When the hit happened it was quickly off the screen.   I didnt even see Armia get up, Mike Johnston said he was slow to get up & off the ice.   

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Caufield isn't the type of guy that's going to dominate a game.  He's a sniper and those players can go long stretches without doing much of anything before potting a quick one or two to change things.  I actually think he's done well at some of the little things that I wasn't expecting from him in the early going.

Caufield had 0.94 ixG in this game, just himself.  More than any other player on the ice. 

His xG% was 98, his CF% was 85.7.

He's ready.... he's dominant out there, the goals are gonna come.

Great comeback win, sure felt like we wanted it more tonight than the Jets, sort of like how Calgary seemed to want it more those last few games. 

42 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Caufield had 0.94 ixG in this game, just himself.  More than any other player on the ice. 

Where do get your numbers?

Losing Armia would really hurt and the guy deserves a break. 

Kulak better replace Gustafson tonight. Gustafson has some offensive skills but holy hell he is poor defensively. 

Caufield had a stellar game after I questioned whether he should be here. He will score 

Please give Allen a night off 

Couple more wins and we can clinch our playoff spot 

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Nice comeback, hopefully Armia's injury isn't serious as they can't afford any more injuries.

Worth noting, Teasdale and Pezzetta remain on the taxi squad.  I thought they'd have moved to 'real' recalls by now but perhaps Teasdale is next in line.

Teasdale is a beast perfect fourth liner for us.

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I totally agree, and the 1st few games Frolik played when he was originally subbed in here and there he looked terrible too.  However, he wasnt in game shape for the speed of the NHL.

Thats the funny thing is I often contradict myself but that's due to me making choices on what I'd do based on MB's decisions on the players - which I don't always agree with vs what I would do.  ex: I'd rather see Phoeling play than Frolik too.  I never would have singed Frolik, but MB did, so they sorta need to play him vs prospects. 

Similarly, I like Kulak and I prefer him over Chiarot - and again, I didnt sign those contracts.  I'm not a big Chiarot fan, and the Habs didnt really need Chiarot & Weber, more like 1 or the other. 

It seems crazy but I want to see Gustafsson get in game shape to be able to properly evaluate the guy.  I realize he isnt good defensively, but he has played 6 NHL seasons.  He must be better than what we've seen so far because he's been so bad that he probably wouldnt even make the Rockets. 

Gustafson over Chiarot, total insanity.

Gustafson over Kulak makes no sense, even commentators were baffled by the short leash Kulak has, figure he is in the dog house since his play was the better over Gustafson.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

he is definitely not dominant, but did what a small sniper has to do and got lost in converge a few times. Good game, great sign of him adjusting to the league but Jets are porous defensively and until he shows up like that against a better team (was invisible vs Leafs) he has not arrived let alone dominated.  
When you get no points, you did not dominate unless you are a shut down d man or goalie.

good sign yes, dominating.. Far far from it.

he made a terrible forced play to the middle (who was a wrong handed shot for one timer anyways) on early pp and also wasted possession on another pp with a poor shot choice.

so there were glaring mistakes to go along with the zeroes on the stat sheet regardless of how impressive the expected gf stats look. He was used in ideal situations against bottom six on a notoriously poor defending team.

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Huge win, great confidence builder, love to see Suzuki come through in the big games and this was a big one. 

Agreed, and he does seem to be “clutch” even back in junior hockey.

11 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm sure this isn't going to go over well but I think this is what it comes down to with Gustafsson and Kulak.

Gustafsson is a tire fire in his own zone but at the offensive end, he can make a lot of good things happen.  There's perceived upside in the eyes of the coaching staff.

I think the coaches view Kulak like they viewed Mete.  Possession numbers are good and he joins the rush but nothing ever comes of it most of the time in terms of production.  In his own end, he's not that great of a defender (though better than Gustafsson for sure).  So the perceived upside isn't there.  That makes him a filler that can play 15 minutes on the third pairing with no special teams value but if there are options that have a better chance of making something happen (Gustafsson) or better defensively (Merrill), they're going to slot in above Kulak on the depth chart.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Keep in mind that comment was made before he had that second period where the majority of his shots and chances came from.  He was dominant in that period but that's about the only period he has dominated in so far out of his three games.  And that's fine, no one should be expecting him to come in and taking over games anyway.

1 hour ago, bbp said:

Teasdale is a beast perfect fourth liner for us.

Does he have NHL speed?

Sorry, not Staal or Frolik-type speed, but average or better?

11 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Is anyone sure where the puck was when Armia was hit?  I could be wrong but I don't think the puck was in the corner anymore and it possibly wasnt even in the Jets zone when he was hit.  It was a high from behind hit, that was sort of a run, and I think it might have been late too.

On the feed I saw it barely showed it because the Jets had the puck in the neutral zone and entered the Habs end.  When the hit happened it was quickly off the screen.   I didnt even see Armia get up, Mike Johnston said he was slow to get up & off the ice.   

Armia had the puck when he was hit. He had dumped it in, skated past the Jets player who then hit him, and had the puck at his feet when the hit happened. He was standing straight up when the hit came and it didn't look too bad, and isn't the type they normally call boarding on. But it was definitely from behind and he is suspectible, so it doesn't look good. Hopefully he just had the wind knocked out or jammed something and it wasn't his head.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Does he have NHL speed?

Sorry, not Staal or Frolik-type speed, but average or better?

That is the big question with Teasdale. He brings a lot of things, he's strong, has grit, can score but will his skating be good enough to be effective at the NHL level. 

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... It seems crazy but I want to see Gustafsson get in game shape to be able to properly evaluate the guy.  I realize he isnt good defensively, but he has played 6 NHL seasons.  He must be better than what we've seen so far because he's been so bad that he probably wouldnt even make the Rockets. 

And Brett faced the media shortly thereafter