May 1, Senators @ Canadiens, 7PM EST

Trizzak

38 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Petry might find another gear, but I certainly disagree with Weber.  My 1st thought when the Subban trade happened was Weber's albatross contract.  However, my 2d though was questioning if he is a Thorton.  I consider Weber to be a Thorton until he proves otherwise and the truth is he has yet to prove that he isn't. 

At Webers age, when Thornton was steak making good money, he was still a PPG, or close to a point per game player. He was still elite. Weber has not even been close to being considered elite the last two years, while he is still being paid as an elite player. Thornton is playing for peanuts now and during the past 10 years, he has been

paid less than Weber. If Weber’s cap hit fir the next 5 years was between $1m to $2m, I’d have no issues. He’s not even worthy $5m cap hit right now let alone $7.8m five years from now.

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Au contraire...the Habs threw Caufield, KK, and Galchenyuk into the NHL with basically zero seasoning. Disastrous results in one case, apparently middling results with KK, and results still unknown with Caufield. It worked great with Gallagher. The same treatment almost ruined Price’s tenure with us. (They also did this with Ribeiro and Fatendresse, also unsuccessfully). 

Having prospects learn how to play the game at the AHL level does not turn them into “4th rounders” - lack of talent does. What it does do is allow them to mature mentally and emotionally in a relatively low-pressure setting and learn how to be the kind of well-rounded players that they will be forced to become in any case. If we were a really strong team, we would *not* be throwing guys in at age 19 unless they were absolute can’t-miss stars. And we never, ever draft absolute can’t-miss stars, so forget that.

Totally agree, but let’s not forget Gallagher played half year in the 

knots during the lockout year.

34 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

This is Habs forum so I automatically assumed that everybody would understand what I mean by Thorton.  🤣

Weber is a Thorton, make no mistake about it.

i.e. Thorton was 1 of the best F in the NHL, and lead Bos to President Trophy seasons, however they got knocked out 1st rnd by 8th place Habs.   Thorton was absent in the big games in those series.  That happened so many times the Bruins shipped 1 of the top guys in the NHL to the Sharks.  The Sharks were also a top team, but they never really go anywhere in the playoffs either.

Now think about Weber, because its the identical scenario with him being a top dman and Nashvilles playoff results.  i.e. really good reg season team that falters in the playoffs because 1 of their top guys wasn't getting it done.  Last year vs Philly I said the d needed to score, that comment was referring to Weber, he didnt score, and the Habs didnt win. 

I would have loved to have the Weber from 8 years ago. I hate having the Weber from today. Weber didn’t win before because he was on a lousy team and then started being exposed in his last few years because of his foot speed, and speed and mobility started being more important than size.  Thornton was also young when he got traded by the Bruins. Weber fir traded at the time you expect players to decline.

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am rally happy that the Habs pulled him out of the lineup.

We need a healthy Weber in the playoffs. There are enough defensively responsible defenders capable of filling in for a week or so.

Go Habs Go!

Agreed. If getting healthier makes him even a little bit better, it’s a move that should have been made earlier.

We need to stop relying on Weber like nothing has changed. The man was elite and a complete beast in his prime. It happens to everyone, we get old. 

Weber still has things to offer and if his minutes were much less then he would have more to give when needed. 

BTW I feel a beating coming tonight. Today our broken team will elevate and destroy. We are going to hit the playoffs hot and cause havoc 

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I really liked the Staal line. They are slow but smart and crafty and dangerous 

Not a fan, Oh well, see how they do backchecking.:spamafote:

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I really liked the Staal line. They are slow but smart and crafty and dangerous 

I liked it too.  I also like kk on the wing, he seemed to shoot more.  If he shoots he should score in this game. 

Good eyes on Anderson, too bad Edmundson missed.  He's come close numerous times lately, maybe he'll get 1 tonight too. 

D'oh, again with the dump in and change when another Habs would have been right there with him. 

The Frolik line is looking dangerous.  They've come close numerous times.  1 of them will likely score. 

Kulak had a great chance too. 

Hmm, that was nice, Perry just flipped out.   They need to flip the puck up the ice more. 

Is anyone else starting to laugh in frustration every time you see a wide open Habs player in the slot and it isn't Caufield? 

Fun game so far. Habs giving up crazy high-percentage chances, though - it’s looking like a white-knuckler with Primeau back there, LOL

Nice break by Mete! Fortunately he still can’t shoot his way out of a paper bag.

Habs looking strangely creative and dynamic in the O-zone, to go along with the defensive ineptitude. Why can’t they talk and chew gum at the same time?

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

D'oh, again with the dump in and change when another Habs would have been right there with him. 

The Frolik line is looking dangerous.  They've come close numerous times.  1 of them will likely score. 

Kulak had a great chance too. 

Hmm, that was nice, Perry just flipped out.   They need to flip the puck up the ice more. 

Is anyone else starting to laugh in frustration every time you see a wide open Habs player in the slot and it isn't Caufield? 

The geezer line is great again. They were the best line again. 

Fun game, choppy and messy but good flow at times. 

And yes FFS Caufield, you gotta score 

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fun game so far. Habs giving up crazy high-percentage chances, though - it’s looking like a white-knuckles with Primeau back there, LOL

As soon as the game started I realized why Gustafsson is out.  He's more likely to cause a 2-1 and Primeau is likely to let in a 2-1 so they cant play them in the same game.  i.e. Allen is capable of making saves to cover for any gaffs made by Gustafsson. 

Staal has almost scored twice.  I cant believe he missed the rebound off Froliks shot earlier.  It looked like he was in the perfect spot for it.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Geezers are legit dangerous 👍

Even Frolik looks great - like he’s 10 years younger. Perry, meanwhile, has been yet another brilliant MB signing from last summer.

I don’t think much of Gary Galley, but I was interested to hear that he’s in the same camp as me and Commandant in advocating for Kulak.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Staal 5:56, most ice of any Hab forward?:thumbs_down:

I don't mind Staal being a bit higher - that line has done well and deserves a couple of extra minutes.  And evidently with a few people still playing hurt, balancing the minutes is going to matter.

I'm a bit worried about Primeau.  His rebound control has been poor and he looks very hesitant out there. 

Agree on Primeau, every shot is an adventure in huge rebounds. 

Hugely entertaining period, though. Much of this had to do with the Habs flailing around in their own end, but they generated a lot of offensive excitement too. A pity they couldn’t pot that great chance at the end. 

Its nail biting on the edge of your seat hockey, and Gustafsson isn't even in the game.

Ah man, so close.  Toffoli is good at holding before shooting.  He's good at drawing penalties too.

Just now, Sir_Boagalott said:

Its nail biting on the edge of your seat hockey, and Gustafsson isn't even in the game.

Ah man, so close.  Toffoli is good at holding before shooting.  He's good at drawing penalties too.

I knew Toffoli was good from seeing him briefly in Van. I had no idea he was *this* good. He’s been fantastic all season.

Hmm, interesting.  I like that a lot.  They've started to do an across ice pass thing in the offensive zone and then shoot.  You know vs the endlessly pass the puck around the outside back n forth thing they typically do. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, interesting.  I like that a lot.  They've started to do an across ice pass thing in the offensive zone and then shoot.  You know vs the endlessly pass the puck around the outside back n forth thing they typically do. 

There does seem to be a big change in the O-zone. Are the defensive lapses a consequence of that? (E.g., D pinching or something?) Or are we just overmatched by the Sens’ speed?