Habs-Leafs Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

40 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There’s a difference now - we are more like the the team that we used to beat handily in the 70’s and 80’s.

I wouldn't go that far, but yes we are the underdogs. Leafs have 2 big things going against them. Firstly it is the playoffs, enough said on that. Secondly, they are the Leafs. The last times Leafs beat us in a series they were as much an underdog or maybe even more so, than we are now. We can win this.

There is too much optimism on this thread. It’s unrealistic, but it’s good to see all the same 👍 That’s the beauty of the playoffs...everything is possible (until it isn’t).

49 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There’s a difference now - we are more like the the team that we used to beat handily in the 70’s and 80’s.

Cept we have no Sittler, Lanny or Salming...so not at that level neither.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Cept we have no Sittler, Lanny or Salming...so not at that level neither.

That team had some really strong core pieces. Fortunately, the GM/owner were complete idiots and squandered what they had

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That team had some really strong core pieces. Fortunately, the GM/owner were complete idiots and squandered what they had

It’s lucky we don’t have to worry about that🙄

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That team had some really strong core pieces. 

God damn they are they gonna have to, sooner or later, sell the farm to add a piece like that? Perhaps, go nuts on a stupid high RFA offer?

Are about 25 PPG guys this year (like a Pacioretty 51pts in 48gms), shave $$ off the defense and goaltending and put up front to add any or those might do it.

Don't really like that our first two home games are back-back. Kinda takes the home ice advantage away slightly since anything can happen in those. I guess home ice advantage isn't as big of thing this year at least. 

I admit that I’m nervous about Ducharme screwing this up with absurd roster decisions and his general thinking about defensive at all costs. 

I do agree with the argument that he hasn’t had time to practice and make changes. I might be surprised but his decisions revolve around not being scored on vs trying to score ourselves - we have had trouble scoring for some time now. 

Im really curious about the roster

I sometimes console myself recalling that there are no color photographs of the Leafs with the Stanley Cup. 

The Habs enter the playoffs with the worst goal diffferential (-9) of all playoff teams. Only St Louis (-1) is also in the negative.

They have the 3rd fewest goals scored (159) with only the Predators and the Islanders having scored fewer goals (156).

The only team to have allowed more goals against than Montreal (168) is St Louis (170).

I'm optimistic that the Leafs will continue to choke in the playoffs. I am not optimistic it will be at the hands of the Habs.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Toronthab said:

I sometimes console myself recalling that there are no color photographs of the Leafs with the Stanley Cup. 

Of course there are.  Toronto fans have been colouring them with their crayons since they were kids.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't expect the Habs to sweep the Leafs as I think the Leafs have enough firepower to win one game so I will go with the Habs in 5. 

😂

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Of course there are.  Toronto fans have been colouring them with their crayons since they were kids.

😂

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 4:18 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I admit that I’m nervous about Ducharme screwing this up with absurd roster decisions and his general thinking about defensive at all costs. 

I do agree with the argument that he hasn’t had time to practice and make changes. I might be surprised but his decisions revolve around not being scored on vs trying to score ourselves - we have had trouble scoring for some time now. 

Im really curious about the roster

Dom has made good decisions in the end-of-season stretch:

* played Caufield, even in OT

* Played Primeau and came back to him even after a bad loss

* gradually diminished player's ice time and was not afraid to scratch veterans from the lineup

I am also impressed that he didn't panic by forcing come veterans to sit and go on the IR, it is a medical decision but sometimes coaches put pressure on players to take on for the team and to soldier through pain.

I am hopeful for the playoffs!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

* gradually diminished player's ice time and was not afraid to scratch veterans from the lineup

I am also impressed that he didn't panic by forcing come veterans to sit and go on the IR, it is a medical decision but sometimes coaches put pressure on players to take on for the team and to soldier through pain.

* playing Caufield in O/T for e team that lost 43 in a row in O/T was as much desperation as genius (and also a no-brainer IMO)
* came back to Primeau in a game with absolutely no importance, when playing Allen would have been criminal and Lindgren certifiable

* which veteran(s) did he sit other than in the last game? (too lazy to comb the boxscores but don't recall)

You mean like letting Danault play when "something was bothering him" for a few days and it turned out he had a concussion?  

"forcing come veterans to sit and go on the IR ... sometimes coaches put pressure on players to take on for the team and to soldier through pain" ... those two seem contradictory ... fundamentally I fear DD doesn't have the cojones to stand up to vets unless absolutely forced to do so.

While I often disagree with some of your points, and don't share your overall positive view of the team, I respect your unfettered optimism

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GHT120 said:

* playing Caufield in O/T for e team that lost 43 in a row in O/T was as much desperation as genius (and also a no-brainer IMO)
* came back to Primeau in a game with absolutely no importance, when playing Allen would have been criminal and Lindgren certifiable

* which veteran(s) did he sit other than in the last game? (too lazy to comb the boxscores but don't recall)

You mean like letting Danault play when "something was bothering him" for a few days and it turned out he had a concussion?  

"forcing come veterans to sit and go on the IR ... sometimes coaches put pressure on players to take on for the team and to soldier through pain" ... those two seem contradictory ... fundamentally I fear DD doesn't have the cojones to stand up to vets unless absolutely forced to do so.

While I often disagree with some of your points, and don't share your overall positive view of the team, I respect your unfettered optimism

Right on there, that post you mention made no sense.

15 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am also hopeful for the playoffs, I am always hopeful but realistically they have a really tough go against the Leafs. In order to have any chance they have to win the goaltending battle and that means a healthy Carey Price on top of his game, not sure if that can happen given the time off he has had  but stranger things have happened.

I find it really difficult to judge the job Ducharme has done, the team has been OK since he has taken over but not sure if there was any big improvement. Obviously the injuries, Covid situation etc makes it more difficult to judge. Playing Caulfield was an obvious call for me, they needed to find out if he could help them as they had been struggling to score goals. 

Certainly all the pressure will be on the Leafs, they have gone all in this year and if the Habs can sneak game 1 then the pressure will really mount. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... that means a healthy Carey Price on top of his game, not sure if that can happen given the time off he has had  but stranger things have happened ...

I am anxious to see reports on Price taking game-level NHL shots and engaging in "full-speed" drills/scrimmages to see how close to game-ready he is (let alone "on top of his game") ... concussions are scary ... other than grinders/tough-guys who take tons of hits, goalies are the ones for whom concussions worry me the most ... not only are there potentially pucks to the head and crease contact, but the aggressive up&down, side-to-side movements of goalies (and head on a swivel tracking the puck) have some potentially whiplash-ish effects ... until proven otherwise I am making no assumption that Price will play.

Does anyone recall if Price has had any previous concussions?  

37 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I am anxious to see reports on Price taking game-level NHL shots and engaging in "full-speed" drills/scrimmages to see how close to game-ready he is (let alone "on top of his game") ... concussions are scary ... other than grinders/tough-guys who take tons of hits, goalies are the ones for whom concussions worry me the most ... not only are there potentially pucks to the head and crease contact, but the aggressive up&down, side-to-side movements of goalies (and head on a swivel tracking the puck) have some potentially whiplash-ish effects ... until proven otherwise I am making no assumption that Price will play.

Does anyone recall if Price has had any previous concussions?  

Price had a concussion at the end of the 2012 season (he missed 3 or 4 games at the end) when we drafted Chucky.

But nothing since then that I know of.  His stuff has been knee/hip.