Habs-Leafs Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

What an effect Covid has had, although for me, its been easy to avoid contact with others due to my personality. Nobody wants to come near me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Has anyone seen a single prediction for Canadiens winning the series? I haven't. For good reason too,  but I thought there might be one guy out there.  Haha

I think everyone agrees that the Leafs are the favourites. That said, the Habs do have a chance to win this, even if it's substantially less than 50%.

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Has anyone seen a single prediction for Canadiens winning the series? I haven't. For good reason too,  but I thought there might be one guy out there.  Haha

15 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I've seen a couple from the local French media but that's about it.

The Leafs were 18 points and 11 wins better than the Habs in a 56-game season. They have elite talent and the Habs do not, and are better than the Habs at every position except possibly G. They also won the season series against the Habs, edging them out consistently in what were mostly close games. Optimistic Habs fans say, ‘well, we were in those games.’ But you can just as easily point out that the Leafs consistently found ways to win those tight battles, which is what happens when you play a superior team hard. Rational analysis *has* to pick the Leafs to win. 

The Leafs are also in their fifth season as an upper-echelon franchise. Their elite young players have grown up together. The optimistic Habs fan looks at their track record of first-round exits - shockingly, four in a row - and sees a group that wilts when the chips are down. The pessimistic Habs fan looks at the same record and says, ‘that’s a team that has learned a lot of lessons, like the Yzerman Wings before they broke through.’ 

Were the Leafs to lose this series, I don’t see how they could not look at making some kind of significant change to the core. They should win this (I say, 6 games) and, in fact, should go to the Finals as the class of the North. 

With a full roster in game one of the season we vastly outplayed the leafs the entire game. Two lucky goals for the leafs and we lose in OT I believe. 

We didn’t play them for a bit after that and when we did Price was in meltdown mode and that led to coaching change. The next games against the leafs were with a broken roster. 

Im expecting Price to be great and for the Habs to play like the team the leafs met in the first game. Leafs are indeed good but we are going to cause them havoc 

22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

With a full roster in game one of the season we vastly outplayed the leafs the entire game. Two lucky goals for the leafs and we lose in OT I believe. 

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/mtl-vs-tor/2021/01/13/2020020003#game=2020020003,game_state=final

They haven't vastly outplayed anyone since game 10, 

they are under 500 in the last 40 games, 

Were they just saving the good hockey for the playoffs against the Leafs? 

You are what your record says you are. 

Seems that Habs may not have to face Galchenyuk ... 

54 minutes ago, Chris said:

They haven't vastly outplayed anyone since game 10, 

You foget about March 6 and a  7-1 win vs Jets

Sitting KK and Cole is a mistake.

Unless Staal or Byron or Armia give you a way better chance of winning it makes no sense to take away the experience for the youth. 

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Sitting KK and Cole is a mistake.

Unless Staal or Byron or Armia give you a way better chance of winning it makes no sense to take away the experience for the youth. 

The Habs are not now in a "developmental" mode. It's more like "win now" mode.

That being said, I believe CC gives you a better chance to win and that he should be in the lineup. I guarantee you TO is happy that he's sitting, put it that way.

KK has played himself out of the lineup - I haven't got much sympathy in his case.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That being said, I believe CC gives you a better chance to win and that he should be in the lineup. I guarantee you TO is happy that he's sitting, put it that way.

KK has played himself out of the lineup - I haven't got much sympathy in his case.

Has KK been good of late? No. 

Has he been worse than Eric Staal? Also No.  Staal's time in Montreal has been bad, and quite simply he doesn't look like an NHL player.  While I agree that Evans has outplayed KK, I don't see the logic in starting Staal ahead of him. 

Its not even like Staal has a successful playoff history you can point to.  He has two playoff goals after 2009. Yes he was good in 2009 and 2004, but those are so long ago.  KK had twice as many goals in the bubble last year than Staal has had in the playoffs in the last 11 years combined. 

KK beats Staal in every area.  He's just as big and physical, better offensively 5v5, better on the PP, better defensively 5v5, better skater, etc...

20 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think everyone agrees that the Leafs are the favourites. That said, the Habs do have a chance to win this, even if it's substantially less than 50%.

Well in 71’ the Bruins were supposed to walk over the habs and this skinny giraffe in goal messed things up for them. If we win this series it will because Price shuts the door.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Leafs were 18 points and 11 wins better than the Habs in a 56-game season. They have elite talent and the Habs do not, and are better than the Habs at every position except possibly G. They also won the season series against the Habs, edging them out consistently in what were mostly close games. Optimistic Habs fans say, ‘well, we were in those games.’ But you can just as easily point out that the Leafs consistently found ways to win those tight battles, which is what happens when you play a superior team hard. Rational analysis *has* to pick the Leafs to win. 

The Leafs are also in their fifth season as an upper-echelon franchise. Their elite young players have grown up together. The optimistic Habs fan looks at their track record of first-round exits - shockingly, four in a row - and sees a group that wilts when the chips are down. The pessimistic Habs fan looks at the same record and says, ‘that’s a team that has learned a lot of lessons, like the Yzerman Wings before they broke through.’ 

Were the Leafs to lose this series, I don’t see how they could not look at making some kind of significant change to the core. They should win this (I say, 6 games) and, in fact, should go to the Finals as the class of the North. 

The leafs should win given the lineup outside of the goal crease, but the goalie is usually the decider in the playoffs, as long as the tram can provide SOME goal support. depends if we got good to elite price, or price in a funk and still struggling with injuries. Even if we get the elite Price, this is not one of those series you can expect to win if you are only going to score 1 or 2 goals a game. 

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He hasn’t played well enough, but I see him as replacing Stall. And Stall has been awful.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The leafs should win given the lineup outside of the goal crease, but the goalie is usually the decider in the playoffs, as long as the tram can provide SOME goal support. depends if we got good to elite price, or price in a funk and still struggling with injuries. Even if we get the elite Price, this is not one of those series you can expect to win if you are only going to score 1 or 2 goals a game. 

Oh, I think we definitely have a *chance.* I’ve been saying all along that this lineup could end up proving to be a “built for the playoffs” squad. If vintage Price suddenly shows up, that will help to galvanize the roster. And if we steal a couple, the Leafs will start hearing the footsteps of doom coming up behind them, and then all bets are off. 

All I’m saying is that, if someone asked a rational observer to lay odds on who is more likely to win the series, that observer would have to pick TO.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh, I think we definitely have a *chance.* I’ve been saying all along that this lineup could end up proving to be a “built for the playoffs” squad. If vintage Price suddenly shows up, that will help to galvanize the roster. And if we steal a couple, the Leafs will start hearing the footsteps of doom coming up behind them, and then all bets are off. 

All I’m saying is that, if someone asked a rational observer to lay odds on who is more likely to win the series, that observer would have to pick TO.

Totally agree with that. 

In a time when a Domi could actually play for the Habs, we must know that the age of les Glorieux is over. Toronto is, after all, a team that would actually let Frank Mahovalich play for the Habs. There are some indignities we just don't do to ourselves. 

I need to brush up on my French. I don't think I can stomach watching this series on sportsnet, so I will be watching it on rds. Can only understand 20% or less, but that's fine. Sportsnet leafs Homer's are totally nauseating 

Just now, BCHabnut said:

I need to brush up on my French. I don't think I can stomach watching this series on sportsnet, so I will be watching it on rds. Can only understand 20% or less, but that's fine. Sportsnet leafs Homer's are totally nauseating 

It's not RDS for the playoffs, it's TVA Sports.