Habs-Leafs Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... Ive compared him to Danault because I think that is what he becomes and that certainly isn’t a bust

But neither would that be a great result for a third overall pick.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

But neither would that be a great result for a third overall pick.

He's already shown more ability on the PP than Danault, so maybe add ten points to his total

A perennial 60 point centre who has the defensive chops to play against top lines is fine for the 3rd overall pick.  

Players like Draisatl at third overall are rare.

Heiskanen 

Dubois

Dylan Strome

Draisatl

Drouin

Galchenyuk

Huberdeau

Gudbranson

Duchene

Bogosian

Here are the 10 players drafted 3rd overall before KK. There are only 3 players out of that 10 who I would rather have than a perennial 60 point centre with danault-level defence (if that is what KK becomes).  I think he can be better than that, but I'm just going to use the Danault comparison.

The only players I'd rather have than a bigger Danault with 60 point potential..... Heiskanen, Draisaitl and Huberdeau.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He's already shown more ability on the PP than Danault, so maybe add ten points to his total

A perennial 60 point centre who has the defensive chops to play against top lines is fine for the 3rd overall pick.  

Players like Draisatl at third overall are rare.

Heiskanen 

Dubois

Dylan Strome

Draisatl

Drouin

Galchenyuk

Huberdeau

Gudbranson

Duchene

Bogosian

Here are the 10 players drafted 3rd overall before KK. There are only 3 players out of that 10 who I would rather have than a perennial 60 point centre with danault-level defence (if that is what KK becomes).  I think he can be better than that, but I'm just going to use the Danault comparison.

The only players I'd rather have than a bigger Danault with 60 point potential..... Heiskanen, Draisaitl and Huberdeau.

Look at that list! If that is indeed the measuring stick then KK is doing just fine. 

I get the sentiment that he is a bust cause he doesn’t look close to a #1 centre. Perhaps he becomes one

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

...Players like Draisatl at third overall are rare.

Heiskanen 

Dubois

Dylan Strome

Draisatl

Drouin

Galchenyuk

Huberdeau

Gudbranson

Duchene

Bogosian

Here are the 10 players drafted 3rd overall before KK. There are only 3 players out of that 10 who I would rather have than a perennial 60 point centre with danault-level defence (if that is what KK becomes) ... The only players I'd rather have than a bigger Danault with 60 point potential..... Heiskanen, Draisaitl and Huberdeau.

But top 10 picks available when the #3 was taken those years include: 

Heiskanen -  4th Makar, 5th Pettersson

Dubois - 6th Matthew Tkachuk

Dylan Strome - 4th Marner, 7th Provorov, 9th Timo Meir, 10th Mikko Rantanen

Draisatl - 8th Nylander, 9th Ehlers 

Drouin - 4th Seth Jones, 5th Lindholm, 6th Monohan, 9th Horvat

Galchenyuk - 5th Morgan Reilly, 6th Hampus Lindholm, 7th Matt Dumba, 9th Jacob trouba

Huberdeau - 6th Mika Zibanejad, 7th Mark Scheifele, 8th Sean Couturier, 9th Dougie Hamilton

Gudbranson - 7th Jeff Skinner

Duchene - 6th Oliver Ekman-Larsson, 
Bogosian - 4th Pietrangelo

The only draft in those 10 years without a player I would prefer over a possible perennial 60 point centre with danault-level defence was 2010 (not a fan of Skinner) ... 

But all that said, only the next 2-4 years will truly tell the tale

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But top 10 picks available when the #3 was taken those years include: 

Heiskanen -  4th Makar, 5th Pettersson

Dubois - 6th Matthew Tkachuk

Dylan Strome - 4th Marner, 7th Provorov, 9th Timo Meir, 10th Mikko Rantanen

Draisatl - 8th Nylander, 9th Ehlers 

Drouin - 4th Seth Jones, 5th Lindholm, 6th Monohan, 9th Horvat

Galchenyuk - 5th Morgan Reilly, 6th Hampus Lindholm, 7th Matt Dumba, 9th Jacob trouba

Huberdeau - 6th Mika Zibanejad, 7th Mark Scheifele, 8th Sean Couturier, 9th Dougie Hamilton

Gudbranson - 7th Jeff Skinner

Duchene - 6th Oliver Ekman-Larsson, 
Bogosian - 4th Pietrangelo

The only draft in those 10 years without a player I would prefer over a possible perennial 60 point centre with danault-level defence was 2010 (not a fan of Skinner) ... 

But all that said, only the next 2-4 years will tell the tale

A number of organizations failed at finding the best player remaining in the draft with the third pick.  Its not easy. 

If you are going to expect your scouts to always find the best player, with no misses in the players it won't happen.  No scouting staff hits this perfectly.  

If you got a 60 point guy with selke D, you should be happy with that pick. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

A number of organizations failed at finding the best player remaining in the draft with the third pick.  Its not easy. 

If you are going to expect your scouts to always find the best player, with no misses in the players it won't happen.  No scouting staff hits this perfectly.  

If you got a 60 point guy with selke D, you should be happy with that pick. 

IF they did, in that draft, I would be OK ... but not confident that they did ... and that KK was a first-rising, "late-bloomer" on draft boards IMO demonstrates the risk the Habs took ... but, time will tell ... I will be happy to be wrong because it would be good for the team

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

IF they did, in that draft, I would be OK ... but not confident that they did ... and that KK was a first-rising, "late-bloomer" on draft boards IMO demonstrates the risk the Habs took ... but, time will tell ... I will be happy to be wrong because it would be good for the team

Sure, look at couturier and how long it took him to blossom into that guy.

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not as severe with my take on KK, but I base it on @The Chicoutimi Cucumber ‘s wise opinion of not to put too much hopes on the shoulders of a rookie unless they are a star.

I agree with you that KKs performance up to now is disappointing. He has lost his spot on the lineup to Stall !!! Of all people 

But I still have hopes that he will be as good or better that Danault and Plekanec in their best years 

His career has Stalled? 

• Upvote 1

Big win. Price with the big save when needed. I wanted KK over Byron, but he made a hell of a play in that SH goal. 

I think The Tavares injury was an extremely unfortunate incident. What I don’t get is why the hell dies Perry need to be forced to fight in that situation for a totally accidental  incident. Don’t see how he could have avoided that collision in any way. This is a perfect example of just how stupid the “code” is. 

I was watching the game with my son and it was sickening hearing him the TSN announcers, it was The Leafs this, the leafs that, and I just loved how subdued their tone was when the Leafs got behind.

Lastly, even though we won, I think we should not sit on the winning lineup. I’d put Caufield in for a Stall. The leafs old men Thornton and Spezza showed their age and their lack of speed hurt them. I’d add the additional offense.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... I think The Tavares injury was an extremely unfortunate incident. What I don’t get is why the hell dies Perry need to be forced to fight in that situation for a totally accidental  incident. Don’t see how he could have avoided that collision in any way. This is a perfect example of just how stupid the “code” is ...

It is the same  @#$%^&  mindset that now after a 100% perfectly clean hit the hitee's team immediately goes after the hitter ... to his credit, at least (IMO) Foligno did it in a pro forma sort of way ... got it out of the way so a more looney tunes Leaf didn't try for revenge

10 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Kk will play Saturday, I would say. Staal played great in the 1st. He earned another game.

Who do you subtract for KK? Evans?

I must say, we did not miss Kotkaniemi at all. I am more interested in inserting Caufield, who could make a difference on the PP. You’d have to manage him carefully, though. The Habs are playing a tight, grinding style, and if he gets a bad matchup that could undermine our efforts to contain them in our zone.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I was curious how leaf fans interpreted the game so I had a look at HF leaf board. 

If you are having a bad day, I suggest that you head on over and warm your heart on their collective rage and tears. 

I had a look at the boards, the Leaf fans are obviously disappointed just like we would be if the same thing happened to the Habs. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I had a look at the boards, the Leaf fans are obviously disappointed just like we would be if the same thing happened to the Habs. 

If you’re talking about the Injury, the equivalent thing has happened to the Habs, as Habs29 and I document in another thread. In fact it has happened to us. Many, many times. Over and over. We all want JT to make a full recovery. But the Leafs have zilch to complain about from the Hockey Gods compared to the Habs in this century.

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If you’re talking about the Injury, the equivalent thing has happened to the Habs, as Habs29 and I document in another thread. In fact it has happened to us. Many, many times. Over and over. We all want JT to make a full recovery. But the Leafs have zilch to complain about from the Hockey Gods compared to the Habs in this century.

No question, the Habs have been victim to many of these. 

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I must say, we did not miss Kotkaniemi at all. I am more interested in inserting Caufield, who could make a difference on the PP. You’d have to manage him carefully, though. The Habs are playing a tight, grinding style, and if he gets a bad matchup that could undermine our efforts to contain them in our zone.

I concur.  KK adds little to nothing.  Caufield however is worth dressing, even if you only intend to use him on what was a god-awful powerplay in game 1, in an attempt to resurrect it.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I am assuming Evans will not be ready because he is day to day. If he is ready, you must play Evans.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Evans appears to be hurt and out for game 2, so its an easy choice.

KK taking Armia's spot on the PP in today's PP Only practice suggests that Evans won't be ready and KK is in the lineup.

31 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Seeing the likes of Staal and KK on our powerplay is just depressing. 

I am not as negative about KK as you are, he has talent but has lost confidence.  He might surprise, it's not like Evans was tearing it up but of course Evans is very responsible defensively which is important this time of year. 

• Like 1

KK adds nothing?

How did we score the first two goals?

Speed.

Anderson and Byron blitzed by their d and KK is faster than many guys in the lineup. He should be in. He’s improving defensively as well.