Habs-Leafs Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Caufield will be in for Staal, not Tatar as originally expected.  Staal's lingering injury is keeping him out of this one.  Evans remains unavailable so they will only have three centres in the lineup.

Finally some good news! Only thing better would be Evans and Caufield both playing.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Byron likely plays centre.

With how bad staal has been this actually helps them.

Hope the puck isn't iced with Byron out there ... don't like the idea of Matthews against Byron in the Habs zone

What is Staal's injury? One small ligament problem can wreck a hockey player. 

That's what kept me out of the NHL a coach once told me. 

That and  a lack of talent, heart and character. Great coach. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Byron likely plays centre.

With how bad staal has been this actually helps them.

thinking same

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Hope the puck isn't iced with Byron out there ... don't like the idea of Matthews against Byron in the Habs zone

Not worried about Byron checking anyone... now Caufield and Matthews in a puck battle would be bit one-sided.

(Not than many Habs match up well.)

Suzy and CC seemed to have some chemistry.

Now how many one-timers will Caufield put on net and cant hurt the PP at all.

Also, will be the 1st game #11 & his protege #22 will be playing together. 

Guess Price just works hard to make the easy shots that the defence allows look difficult ... because if they aren't doing a bad job they can't be giving up great scoring chances.

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Guess Price just works hard to make the easy shots that the defence allows look difficult ... because if they aren't doing a bad job they can't be giving up great scoring chances.

Confirmation for me that Ducharme is not ready for the job. 

The defence is the driving force of offence and he does not understand 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Confirmation for me that Ducharme is not ready for the job. 

The defence is the driving force of offence and he does not understand 

2goals against;

1st forward lost faceoff

2nd forward (73) lost in space and his man walks in uncontested and scores

So defensemen had zero to do with goals against.

Merrill & Kulak both +1

3rd pairing d-man switch wont make much impact and chump change. Forwards actually burying a couple pucks and the PP making Leafs pay,  is much much more important.

1 hour ago, DON said:

... 3rd pairing d-man switch wont make much impact ...

100% agree

1 hour ago, DON said:

... Forwards actually burying a couple pucks and the PP making Leafs pay,  is much much more important ...

I would add ... not giving up as many chances that demand Price be great ... and ... getting the puck out of their own zone other than icing or just making the Leafs re-start from further away.

1 hour ago, DON said:

2goals against;

1st forward lost faceoff

2nd forward (73) lost in space and his man walks in uncontested and scores

So defensemen had zero to do with goals against.

Merrill & Kulak both +1

3rd pairing d-man switch wont make much impact and chump change. Forwards actually burying a couple pucks and the PP making Leafs pay,  is much much more important.

We would have had a lot more goals against if not for Carey Price. 

The defence cannot be playing well cause the two that went in weren't on the defencemen, but the miraculous saves price made were on them. 

You have to look at the whole picture and not just the two goals against, cause if the D keep making the same mistakes, eventually those goals are going to go in on the goalie. 

The lack of mobility is becoming a major issue with the defence getting hemmed in their own zone... especially the Chiarot/Weber pair.  This is especially bad in the second period.  The habs inability to get puck possession is really hurting them on the long change. 

I also note that the first goal came AFTER an icing, which was caused by the team being hemmed in their zone for a long period of time, lets not forget that. 

The second goal was also after sustained possession.

You have to look further than just the 4 seconds before the goal.

Weber/Chiarot are giving up long periods of sustained possession against (something that has been an issue all season. 

Romanov-Weber

Kulak - Chiarot

Is likely better than 

Chiarot - Weber

Kulak - Merril

This change improves both pairings, not just the third pair. 

• Upvote 2

Let’s wear the reverse retros for game 5! Can’t get any worse!

15 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Okay, I will. :):P

But really, I will. 

2 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Thats not a bad idea, or better yet, the god-awful striped ones or a combo of those two.

Got nothing to lose, with the poor effort and dumb play happening in front of poor Price.

6 hours ago, DON said:

Thats not a bad idea, or better yet, the god-awful striped ones or a combo of those two.

Got nothing to lose, with the poor effort and dumb play happening in front of poor Price.

My wife bought me one of those for Christmas in 09. Fortunately it was too small and all they had were CA sweaters. Part of me wishes I still had that foolish Barber pole oddity

9 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

My wife bought me one of those for Christmas in 09. Fortunately it was too small and all they had were CA sweaters. Part of me wishes I still had that foolish Barber pole oddity

I aint a fashion critic at all and just not to my liking, thats all.

But, tomorrow i couldnt care less what they are wearing, just hope they go down swinging at least and are "hungrier" than were in the last 3 games (and Romanov is dressed).

2 hours ago, DON said:

I aint a fashion critic at all and just not to my liking, thats all.

But, tomorrow i couldnt care less what they are wearing, just hope they go down swinging at least and are "hungrier" than were in the last 3 games (and Romanov is dressed).

Maybe Anderson should try and get the leafs to play the Duran Duran “hungry like a wolf” song during the game to remind them to stay hungry. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Maybe Anderson should try and get the leafs to play the Duran Duran “hungry like a wolf” song during the game to remind them to stay hungry. 

"If the Canadiens can win Game 5, it would force Game 6 Saturday night in front of 2,500 fans at the Bell Centre.

“I think we should all be really hungry next game and come back in front of our fans,” Danault said."

I can hardly believe it, but after thinking it over all day I am still undecided as to whether or not I will watch Game 5.  I feel no hope, and no enthusiasm at all for a playoff game for the first time in my life.  The only tick in the 'pros' column so far, when weighing pros and cons, is that I wouldn't want to miss the first playoff goal of Cole Caufield's career.  I guess it will be a 'gametime decision'. 

2 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I can hardly believe it, but after thinking it over all day I am still undecided as to whether or not I will watch Game 5.  I feel no hope, and no enthusiasm at all for a playoff game for the first time in my life.  The only tick in the 'pros' column so far, when weighing pros and cons, is that I wouldn't want to miss the first playoff goal of Cole Caufield's career.  I guess it will be a 'gametime decision'. 

I hear you, there are likely a few of us with "upper body injuries" suffered after watching the last few games. I will still watch though. 

53 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I am going through the same thing. I think a big part of it for me is how much I hate Toronto.

I missed hockey during the pandemic stoppage and I am enjoying watching Price, Caufield and to a lesser degree Kotkaniemi and the geriatric line

i’ll Watch