Habs-Leafs Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Co-worker Leaf fan told me to not be silly, when i joked Habs would win series. I offered my condolences this morning on Leaf bowing out.

But, he says he just horrified "to be up 3-1 and then still lose to a stupid AHL team"...wasnt gonna rub it in, but now i kinda have to.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I was fine with 5x5 before, and am still good with it now. 

He is selke level defence and he usually puts up about 50 points in 82 games.

Typically every 10 points is more or less, around a million bucks.  Add in the selke d and the 5 million cap hit is fine.

Tatar is likely gone.

Armia should come back at around 2.5

Perry another deal under 1 million.

I'm pretty much in agreement with the above. If we can get Danault for slightly less (if he wants to stay) it would be great. Armia is at $2.6M now on a RFA contract (but pre-flat cap) so we might have to go slightly higher, but hopefully only slightly. Here, too, the big question is whether he wants to stay, or chase the money.

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Co-worker Leaf fan told me to not be silly, when i joked Habs would win series. I offered my condolences this morning on Leaf bowing out.

But, he says he just horrified "to be up 3-1 and then still lose to a stupid AHL team"...wasnt gonna rub it in, but now i kinda have to.

image.jpeg

You definitely have to now.  Absolutely. 

49 minutes ago, DON said:

image.jpeg

Love the picture. LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

So we spent a year talking about how Danault needs to go. His play supported that discussion. Now this series happens. Yesterday morning I was discussing with my son about how he was the best skater for the Habs this series. Then he comes out and frustrates Marner and Mathews again. The media acknowledge his efforts. If he does this against Conner and Ehlers, how much do you offer him, if anything, in the off season?

You can’t give him Bergeron money which it appears he is looking for based on the deal he reportedly turned down. You have to pay him for what you expect him to be - a third line shutdown centre and not as a first line centre he was because  we had no one else.  I can’t see us being able to sign him for a cap hit and term that makes sense, and allows us to upgrade the D.

30 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You can’t give him Bergeron money which it appears he is looking for based on the deal he reportedly turned down. You have to pay him for what you expect him to be - a third line shutdown centre and not as a first line centre he was because  we had no one else.  I can’t see us being able to sign him for a cap hit and term that makes sense, and allows us to upgrade the D.

I agree. I can't see him asking for Bergeron money since Bergeron's offensive numbers are so much better but if the reports are accurate about the deal he turned down (was it 6 years/30 million ?) then his expectations are high. Beating the Leafs in round 1 was fantastic but it's also going to cost MB at negotiation time. 

The Oilers dished out a lot of big contracts after losing the final to Carolina in 2006 and it cost them big time, went years without making the playoffs again.  Harder to say NO after a big playoff run.  Horcoff and Pisani got way bigger contracts than they should have. The absolute worst thing that can happen is making it to the finals and lose, players ask for much bigger contracts and you still didn't win. If you make it to the final then you might as well win because it's going to cost you. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree. I can't see him asking for Bergeron money since Bergeron's offensive numbers are so much better but if the reports are accurate about the deal he turned down (was it 6 years/30 million ?) then his expectations are high.

This is the big question. If accurate, I think he will be disappointed at all the offers he receives, from any team. But if the rumour is not quite factual ...

Danault will be 4-5. Hoping under 5 for sure. 

fact is, it’s only 1 round. He will have to do that over 3-4 rounds for him to even be able to ask for Bergeron money with a straight face.  His offense just isn’t there. 

pay him like his is the top 3rd line center in the NHL or as a top 10 Selke candidate. 

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

I was fine with 5x5 before, and am still good with it now. 

He is selke level defence and he usually puts up about 50 points in 82 games.

Typically every 10 points is more or less, around a million bucks.  Add in the selke d and the 5 million cap hit is fine.

Tatar is likely gone.

Armia should come back at around 2.5

Perry another deal under 1 million.

I think he'll get over a mill, even if part of it is performance bonuses.

I could see Perry saying to Dubas, "You made the wrong choice last year. Give that Simmonds' money to me this season and I'll do to other teams what I did to you in the playoffs."

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m proud of your leafs too Mr. wishy-washy Ford. You taint our sweater with your incompetence. 

The one thing I’m nervous about is a Marner - Eichel swap. I hope that does not happen. We can deal with marshmallow marner

If TO goes for Eichel that would mean they would have Matthews, Tavares and Eichel at centre ... thus, I expect if they were to get Eichel Matthews would be moving out (Tavares has a NMC) ... whether in the Eichel deal (perhaps in a three-team situation if Buffalo is looking to rebuild) or separately.

21 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Off topic in terms of winning/losing this series, but I would have loved the visual of game 7 more if the Habs had been in their red and the Leafs in their blue. When teams have such contrasting colors, going with both teams in home jerseys from time to time would be sweet. 

For what we know, some players might be colorblind...

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont see Buffalo and toronto making an eichel swap.  Teams in the same division just dont make these kinds of deals.

I agree ... but I could see Arizona going after Eichel and then using him to bring Matthews "home".

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If TO goes for Eichel that would mean they would have Matthews, Tavares and Eichel at centre ... thus, I expect if they were to get Eichel Matthews would be moving out (Tavares has a NMC) ... whether in the Eichel deal (perhaps in a three-team situation if Buffalo is looking to rebuild) or separately.

I think they would move Mathews to wing with eichel at centre. It would be a much tougher line than Mathews, Marner. 

Seems to doubtful anyway 

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... but I could see Arizona going after Eichel and then using him to bring Matthews "home".

I dont see the leafs giving up matthews.  Marner is the one on the hotseat.

And there is no reason why, if acquired and this is a long shot... one of tavares or eichel couldnt play wing.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont see the leafs giving up matthews.  Marner is the one on the hotseat.

And there is no reason why, if acquired and this is a long shot... one of tavares or eichel couldnt play wing.

I agree ... I was working from the "Eichel" hypothesis ... and don't see Marner bringing back Eichel ... unless Sabres think MM could light a MAJOR fire under Skinner or Okposo.

One of the centres could move to wing ... but centres do often seem to have an ego about having to play centre.

Think the TO media are "annoyed"?