Just a note on Beauchemin

Redlight60

I was suprised how wel he played last night, he got playing time and didnt look out of place. I'm glad he is finally getting playing time somewhere. We can skate better than i thought also.

Anyone notice how many ppl on anaheims roster an average hockey fan wouldnt know?

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Seems every time the Canadiens play an ex-habs, a thread is started saying how big of a mistake letting that player go yet majority of the time the player in question did NOTHING in Montreal.

I never said it was a mistake, I'm just saying I was sad to see him go.

When the decision was made, there simply was not room for him. Sure, played only a few games in Montreal, but he played well down in Hamilton. I was looking forward to see if he could perform at the NHL level.

Primarily I was sad to see him go because of how shallow our depth at D was. Do I wish we'd have kept him? Sure, I liked the kid. Am I upset that he is gone? Not really. There was simply not room for him at the time he was forced onto waivers.

Francois Beauchemin was named the first star in yesterdays game versus the Lightnings.

One goal and two assist for the former Canadiens propsect.

He's fourth among defenceman on Anaheim with 9 points in 22 games. Alltough he's -2 and worst on their team but he is still a regular and we waived him. He has actually more points than Sandis Ozolinsh.

He would even with his nine points be third in Montreal. Ahead of Souray...

Beacuhemin was one of the few defenceman. We later gave up on Balej, Hossa and Hainsey.

Plus he was from Quebec.

Not much that can be done now. I think it's good for Francois, he deserves it.

Originally posted by ch_nl

Beacuhemin was one of the few defenceman. We later gave up on Balej, Hossa and Hainsey.

Plus he was from Quebec.

Not much that can be done now. I think it's good for Francois, he deserves it.

Gave up on Balej??? Are you kidding me? Kid played well for a season in the AHL, then we managed to flip him for Kovalev??? You're making it sound like we dropped him for nothing!

Fedorov and Balej actually have potential. Kovalev was a steal. Not a horrible move by the Rangers though because they were trading to dump salary.

The Rags wanted to dump Kovalev and wanted "something" in return. They got Balej. Not a loss to the Canadiens.

Thinking about prospects... Didn't we claim a guy called Vydareny or something?

Originally posted by ch_nl

The Rags wanted to dump Kovalev and wanted "something" in return. They got Balej. Not a loss to the Canadiens.

Thinking about prospects... Didn't we claim a guy called Vydareny or something?

I believe we lost his rights some time during the lockout.

All the naysayers that are down on us losing Beacuhemin, Balej, Hossa, and Hainsey stop and think about what you are saying. Do you really think they could help the Habs. They are AHLers with Beacuhemin being the better. Who would they replace in our current line-up. Hossa has no heart and had plenty of chances. Hainsey plays like he is 4'6 and 120 lbs, and Balej is an AHLer at best. We got Kovalev for him. Have faith in Gainey. We do need a tough guy who can play. Langdon would have been nice to keep or Turner Stevenson would be good in the line-up.

Turner Stevenson? Darren Langdon?

Where would you put them?!

I just noted that Beauchemin is doing well in the NHL and the Habs waived him. Where not that deep and with all the facts in hand I am going to say, and legitimate; They should have keept him.

I don't mind Balej or Hossa. Hainsey needed a change of scenery.

Balej got us Kovalev? I don't know about you guys but I don't think the Rangers had eyeing Balej and decided that they would give up on one of the most skilled players in the world...

I have faith in Gainey but everybody have to realize that every GM makes moves that doesn't turn out to be the best. Gainey included. But Im very confident that Gainey is a great GM that will improve this team more over the years. It will be interesting HOW good he can make them.

Thus far I don't think Gainey has done any bad moves with the Habs. Maybe chosing Bonk over Laperriere while sending Garon to the Kings will be his firts, but I think it is to close in time to tell.

When in Dallas he sent Iginla to the Flames for Niewendyk. Could be among the top-20 over bad deals?

Ch_nl:

When Gainey sent Inglina to the Flames for JN everyone was bashing the Flames for giving up an excellent scorer for nobody in a salary dump. Plus JN helped Dallas win the Stanley Cup.

PS: BG traded Slyvain Blouin, a career AHL'er with very little talent for Vydareny, who at that point still had potential. Not a great trade, but not bad considering that SB had about as much chance of playing for the :hlogo: as me. My point is it had the potential of working out well

A General Managers job is to recognize talent when he see it. Trading Jarome Iginla was not a great move even if it was justified at the time.

Still. He traded Iginla for Niewendyk.

At the time, it wasn't a horrible move. Niewendyke was a star back then and who knows if Dallas would have won the Stanley Cup without him. That being said, it was a bad trade for Dallas and a great one for Calgary.

I don't even think it's a debate, it was a great trade for both teams. Nieuwendyk is easily one of the all-time favourite guys in this city (outside of Lanny and...before his problems surfaced....Theo). Calgary was in the middle of a youth movement and Dallas was on the rise, looking for a couple pieces to get that Stanley Cup. You're going to need someone really good to justify trading away a local icon and that was Iginla. Iginla is the star Calgary wanted and Nieuwendyk was a major part of Dallas's Stanley Cup. You can't call it a bad deal at all, no matter how you look at it.

I would suggest that Gainey was well aware he was trading a quality young player, but he was willing to do so in order to 'win now'. You have to assess where the team is on the curve (e.g. youth/rebuilding vs. mature). He judged they had a chance to go all the way with one more key piece to the puzzle, and had to sacrifice a piece of the future to do it. That doesn't make it a bad trade; it's all about winning the Cup.

Now, if he traded away a valuable young player for the Habs today, I'd be disappointed... we're a couple years away from being a serious contender. (I know, anything could happen - but still.)

(Drat - I hit Post Reply only to find jetsniper had beat me to this thought!)

[Edited on 2005/12/16 by Mont Royale]