~moeman

Fanpuck33_

If you have not noticed, ~moeman has been banned from HabsWorld. Over the course of the past week or so, ~moeman's posts became increasingly hateful and disruptive. He was warned many times to start respecting HabsWorld's rules, but he rejected every attempt we made.

It all started when I changed the name of one of his threads because it mis-represented the content that he posted. Despite many attempts to explain why the title was changed, ~moeman insisted on spreading the rumor that HW Mods changed his title because we disagreed with his opinion about Wayne Gretzky. This could not be further from the truth. The HW Team respects the opinions of all members, no matter what they are. As I said, his title was changed because it misrepresented the information that the thread was about. It was a harmless act, but he chose to make a big deal about it and tried to make the HW Mods look bad.

After this initial confrontation, ~moeman made a number of racist and foul comments, some of which were deleted, as per the HW policy on respect. We continued to ask him to start following the rules, but instead responded by calling the HW Mods fascists. This was the last straw, so he was banned from HW due to his repeatedly breaking HabsWorld's rule about respect. When the evidence was shown, not a single Mod voted to keep ~moeman as a member.

The reason we are telling you this is because it has been reported that ~moeman has started emailing HW members, telling people that HW mods banned him because he dislikes Wayne Gretzky and that we are fascists, whom he equates to mail-bombers. We just wanted to let people know what really happened, in case you happen to recieve one of his very hateful emails. His disgraceful response just proves that ~moeman has no respect for our members.

Sincerely,

HW Staff

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

It's only offensive if you disgaree with it. If he was spewing Neo-Con or Sepeartist hatred it would be cool.

Disagree with what? Everyone can say "I don't like milk." That doesn't help any discussion, unless the person explains why. Even more, if the person keeps telling "oh shit do I hate the ######ing milk" and leaves it with no explanation.. where does it lead to? It fuels controversy, animosity and give the forum a bad atmosphere and doesn't lead to anything constructive. But if the person tells us about the pasteurization of milk and how the process eliminates the vitamin and what happens with the butterfat, share links to FDA studies.. then we'll be able to say, "Well I didn't know that. It's interesting thanks. I will still drink milk, though, because there are good vitamins added later in the process, blabla.." You get the point.

An important thing. Whatever the discussion, may it be about milk or about Gretzky or about politics, I'd like you (and everyone) to notice what difference in the world it makes when someone keeps a good level of language. Even though we're not talking face to face, we can easilly feel the mood of the conversation. Foul language is the fuel to degenerate threads. In most threads since the opening of HW Forum in 2003, I'd say close to 99% of the threads were of high quality. This is not because we all agree on the same thing, no. I think it has to do with respect. Our simple approach, with only 4 rules of common-sense which are summed in "Have fun and respect the others".

We banned very few people so far, and I'm glad. I don't like to see anyone go, because it's HabsWorld, the community for all Habs Fans around the world, and we don't want to exclude anyone. Still, for a community to grow, there are simples rules to follow. Every warnings and ban we made was/will be for the good of all. We are few mods/admins and we are far from beeing on a power trip, as everyone who is here for a some time could testify.

Here it how the banning process works at HW:

Example, a new member who just registered and post obscenities is instantly banned, without notice.

Example, a member who is here for some times and have difficulties to respect the 4 rules will get U2U/emails from a mod. If the member doesn't respond positively to the warnings, we'll try to find a solution. Always, there are conversations between the mods before banning someone. It's a process that can take some times, as we always want to give the member another chance and we don't seek to just "ban" people for fun.

If you see someone get banned, it's because there were really good reasons to do it. You can always U2U/email a mod/admin for more details if you have concerns. We are really open to constructive criticism.

I hate to say this, but your view on the situation is typical of a very close-minded person, Leafs Suck.

You hold the position that ~moeman was banned because of his views, despite the fact that we have stated many, many times that his poor behavior was the cause, not his opinions. You ignore the evidence and continue to put forth your disproven ideas. His opinions were not offensive, the way he stated his ideas was offensive. Racist and frequent foul langauge is not tolerated on HW.

Right now, Leafs Suck, the only difference between you and ~moeman is that you heeded the Mods' warnings about your use of foul and racist language. If we banned ~moeman because of his opinion of Gretzky, why have you not been banned? It's becuase you respect the rules. ~moeman did not, so we had no other choice but to ban him.

[Edited on 12-16-05 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by sakiqc

It's only offensive if you disgaree with it. If he was spewing Neo-Con or Sepeartist hatred it would be cool.

Disagree with what? Everyone can say "I don't like milk." That doesn't help any discussion, unless the person explains why. Even more, if the person keeps telling "oh shit do I hate the ######ing milk" and leaves it with no explanation.. where does it lead to? It fuels controversy, animosity and give the forum a bad atmosphere and doesn't lead to anything constructive. But if the person tells us about the pasteurization of milk and how the process eliminates the vitamin and what happens with the butterfat, share links to FDA studies.. then we'll be able to say, "Well I didn't know that. It's interesting thanks. I will still drink milk, though, because there are good vitamins added later in the process, blabla.." You get the point.

An important thing. Whatever the discussion, may it be about milk or about Gretzky or about politics, I'd like you (and everyone) to notice what difference in the world it makes when someone keeps a good level of language. Even though we're not talking face to face, we can easilly feel the mood of the conversation. Foul language is the fuel to degenerate threads. In most threads since the opening of HW Forum in 2003, I'd say close to 99% of the threads were of high quality. This is not because we all agree on the same thing, no. I think it has to do with respect. Our simple approach, with only 4 rules of common-sense which are summed in "Have fun and respect the others".

We banned very few people so far, and I'm glad. I don't like to see anyone go, because it's HabsWorld, the community for all Habs Fans around the world, and we don't want to exclude anyone. Still, for a community to grow, there are simples rules to follow. Every warnings and ban we made was/will be for the good of all. We are few mods/admins and we are far from beeing on a power trip, as everyone who is here for a some time could testify.

Here it how the banning process works at HW:

Example, a new member who just registered and post obscenities is instantly banned, without notice.

Example, a member who is here for some times and have difficulties to respect the 4 rules will get U2U/emails from a mod. If the member doesn't respond positively to the warnings, we'll try to find a solution. Always, there are conversations between the mods before banning someone. It's a process that can take some times, as we always want to give the member another chance and we don't seek to just "ban" people for fun.

If you see someone get banned, it's because there were really good reasons to do it. You can always U2U/email a mod/admin for more details if you have concerns. We are really open to constructive criticism.

That's nonsense!!! Milk has no butterfat!

I find it somewhat funny that your sig uses one of the Neo-Cons favorite scarecrow (terrorism) to discredit seperatists, even though the FLQ stopped existing some 30+ years ago.

Although the question still remains: what makes you think Neo-Con or Separatist hatred would be tolerated more than any other kind of hatred?

Please explain.