Claude Julien: Keep'em or Fire'em

Leafs Suck

I blame Julien for the loss to Edmonton. Murray is playing well, he's scoring, he's doing alot of things right and he sees no ice-time. Meanwhile, Ribeiro is doing nothing and is get tons of ice-time. Something has to give.

I think it is seriously time to think about letting him go. Maybe Jarvis takes over, I dunno. Larry Robinson is the guy I wanted all along, but the Habs blew that.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been getting frustrated as well lately with the lack of rookie play....

However, I really think you've gotta wait and see what happens when Koivu and Kovalev get back before cutting Julien.

If things keep going downhill even after their return... look for either Julien to lose his job... or for a trade to happen; cause if it comes to that... something'll have to give.

Geez, every time the Habs lose a few games, the boo-birds come out and call for Julien's head...

Haha, now that I'm done mocking you for hating on ex-habs threads, I agree. I've never liked the way Julien handles the lines. Even when the team made the playoffs under him, I felt he could have handled the team better.

His likely replacement, Jarvis, I think would be even worse though. His philosophy seemed to be "play rookies on the back lines so they learn their place" while he was coaching Hamilton. Heck, maybe it's his influence that leads Julien to reward Perezhogin's strong play with 6 minutes a game.

If they dump Julien, I want somebody to come in from outside the system. I want somebody to bring in a new perspective and breathe some new life into the team.

I agree with those thoughts. I don't want another guy in the system (like Jarvis) to step in. I heard someone mention Guy Carboneau somewhere... That'd be a great idea IMO.

I always used to think of Julien as a great coach, but this rookie thing is getting under my skin... especially when the kids are getting goals.

I'd really like Julien to at least explain himself through the press... at least. (If he already has, let me know, I'd like to kno his reasoning.)

I mean sure you gotta respect the vets, but when the job isn't getting done, and you're using up all their gas because you're only playing 3 lines... common...

Ahh, I'm overtired again, starting to rant, so I'll stop here. lol.

Ugh, can't believe we've got these types of threads already, anyone care to tell me what our record was with Koivu and Kovalev in the lineup? I don't really feel like looking it up right now but it know it was great. It's no coincidence that this slump pretty well co-incided (sp?) with the loss of Kovalev.

I would be all for a trade or something, but talks of firing Julien are ridiculous to me.

Now if we continue to play like this for 2 or 3 weeks after the Ks are back in the lineup, then i MIGHT be all for this.

I never said YOU start these kinds of threads. I'm just saying it's funny that you start one after laughing at others for doing something very similiar.

They start threads about people who are doing well and not on the Habs and they wish were back.

You start a thread about a current habs (albeit the coach) who is doing poorly and you wish was gone.

Calling for the coach's head is no different than the threads calling for Ribeiro's head, Souray's head, Bonk's head, etc.

http://www.habsworld.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4869

I think that anyone who comes on here dismissing these discussions, simply b/c K&K are not in the lineup, doesn't follow the Canadiens. My problem is not the fact that we are losing, although I'm sure we wouldn't be having this discussion if we kept winning. HOwever, My problem is how CJ is handling the team as a whole, I think the good coaches handle adversity well and CJ isn't. He's not giving the young guns opportunities even though they've been the better players and the more responsible defensive players (especially compared to Ribeiro and Dags).

I think if we were loosing but he was not overplaying the top lines and drastically underplaying the rookies just becuase they are rookies, i wouldn't feel this way because I've been a big CJ supporter until NOW.

Enough is enough, I would love to see CARBO behind the bench, I think he would do a great job.

I would like to see Gainey bring in his own coach, dump Ribeiro and Dagenais for wahtever he can get and go from there. Hiding behind K&K is no excuse as far as i'm concerned it's the means not the ends that's teh problem here

:ghg:

I think this is asking the wrong question.

Its not CJ's fault for giving his vets ice-time. Its the vet's fault for not making the most of it.

This is just an old, well-known golden rules for coaches: if you're going to lose, lose your with your best players, ie. your vets, your known-quantities, your proven guys. They'll have to carry the burden of the loss. You dont place that kind of burden on rookies by giving them loads of ice-time.

I think people are kidding themselves if they think a new coach would throw out Plekanec, Higgins & Co. for 16, 17 mins every game.

Blame the underachievers, not the coach.

So a coach derserve to get fire because he's not playing guys that shouldn't even be in the NHL right now. Yeah, that make lots sense. Last time i check the Montreal Canadians are playing in the NHL not AHL. If you want to develop young players, let them get ice time in the AHL not in the NHL. BTW, look around the league, most team have players that only get a few minutes. So, thinking that firing Julien will solve this so called problem of not playing the rookies, you guys may be sadly in for a shock, when the new coach uses the same approach. It's called playing your best players. Just because you have a uniform on, doesn't automatically assure you 15 minutes of ice time.

We've played 30 games.

We're 7 games over .500, fire who?

Did we expect to be 20 over .500 now?

Seriously... You all need to relax, tonight wasn't the coaches fault at all.

Look at Zednik, he looks so useless out there, he's the only player from our first line playing, he doesn't look like he should even be om the 4th.

Blame Ryder, for being an idiot, and putting the puck over the board.

This team lost THREE of 18 games with Kovalev and Koivu in the lineup, before asking for the coaches head, let him have a healthy team to play first.

I blame the coach for misusing his players (who are struggling.)

I see no adapting on his part. Through this entire slump and struggle we've been seeing the same thing. It's like he's thinking "well, this worked 1 time out of 10 so there is no reason not to think it won't work this time." He's like the baseball player who swings for the fences everytime cause he hit a homerun 2 months ago.

Yes, players haven't been responding to the ice time he's been giving them. Does that mean you keep giving it to them? ###### no! Especially when you have guys in the lineup whose career ceiling is not 3rd and 4th line duty. Higgins can score, Perez can score, AWARD THEIR HARD WORK!

This has nothing to do with Koivu and Kovalev. To sit back and say "well dammit, we don't have our best players and that's why we're losing gee golly gosh" is too placid and lacks a certain thing called "balls." How about rallying behind the loss of your teammates, putting out more effort than you thought you had, and at least trying for a .500 record? Instead we get half efforts rewarded, no efforts rewarded, and full efforts sometimes awarded unless this is your first year in the league.

THAT is the coaches fault.

100% CJ's fault.

The job of the coach is to coach, instruct, dicipline, lead, grow people......

Half of our team is playing sub par hockey (you make your own list). It is CJ's job to adress that. Sometimes that means instruction, sometimes dicipline, sometimes coaching, always leadership.

I do not believe that all our sub par performances are because those players simply suck.(in some cases, yes).

CJ has a ton of options before him right now. I haven't seen him use any of them.

Perhaps Gainey needs to show some leadership here and give CJ some much needed coaching.

I agree with Leafs Suck, something has to give.

I'm not hitting the panic button yet when it comes to Claude Julien but I am getting ticked off about the mis-use of the rookies.

These guys barely get any ice time when Koivu and Kovalev are not in the line up. I doubt they'll get more time when both return.

I'm sure most of you people have somewhat followed our prospects throughout the year, I know in my case I was high on Higgins, Perezhogin and Plekanec getting a shot in the NHL because of what I've heard or seen of them in the minors. It's now getting frustrating when I see Dagenais on the ice doing a whole lot of nothing when you see guys like Perehogin bolting on the ice and trying to split the other team's defense and trying to make something happen.

Our three best paid players are injuried. Our two best scorers are out.

Of course the team suffers.

Kick Claude Julien? Why? Remember who well the team was doing before the injuries? It's not like the Habs are last in the division.

The coin has two sides. People seem to forgett that some coaches in the past has pushed rookies to hard. Maybe it's a good thing Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec and Murray see limited ice time. Maybe not.

Anyway, I don't know if Jarvis would be a better option. Till then, let Julien do his job.

The fact that Koivu and Kovalev are out plays a big game on the other players mind. Psychologically, their Morale is most likely down because of the missing "superstars".

Now, I would expect with the come back of K&K, I believe the team will immediately gain confidence and start winning some big games...

However, it's up to Julien to get the other guys believing in themselves and that they CAN win without the big stars. Motivate the players...

However, it's hard to motivate players in the third period when he's only been playing 3 lines, and those guys are tired.

This is the main reason why I'd like to see the rookies get some ice-time... because it gives extra rest to the top lines... rest they need if we're down in the third.

The problem is that when a team is in a long slump everyone gets frustrated. When frustration sets in the fingers come out.

Not sure if I like the fact that the kids are not playing a lot since I perceive them to be playing well. I might be missing something.

Need to have PATIENCE

Anybody who claims that Ribeiro is a proven quantity, has just lost my respect. Second, their appears to be a huge double standard, in the way CJ coaches, b/c when Zhogs or Higgins or Plex or Kosty or any other rookie gives away the puck or makes a questionable play they sit. While Ribeiro and Dagenais give the puck away like their giving away cologne samplers at the BAY, at least be consistent and sit the vets who make mistakes too.

And for everyone who says who you have to play your best players, if you've been watching their is a reason many of us are angry and that is that Ribeiro, Dagenais and Zednik are no longer our best players.

[Edited on 2005/12/16 by gohabsgo252006]

I find the more time the rookies play, the more rookie mistakes are made. Slowly putting them into the game may have some merit. I am still with Julien. If things do not turn around after our stars return, then I may be the loudest calling for heads to roll.

the first move is to trade a player to shake them up, anybody, it doesn't matter, it'll wake them up. as long as you don't trade those rookies, they'Re the only resaons we have stints of quality hockey in a game.

however, I haven't seen the canadiens play a full good game of hockey. they don't compete for 60 mins(horrible cliché!!) and do give a good part of the blame to coaching staff for that.

the first move is to trade a player to shake them up, anybody, it doesn't matter, it'll wake them up. as long as you don't trade those rookies, they'Re the only resaons we have stints of quality hockey in a game.

however, I haven't seen the canadiens play a full good game of hockey. they don't compete for 60 mins(horrible cliché!!) and I do give a good part of the blame to coaching staff for that.