54 minutes ago, Chris said:

Always liker when the 4th line center is the cause of all the problems, 

4th line center isn't the problem, top 9 is 

tafolli suzuki caufield

you need offence to beat the leafs, a goal a game wont cut it

tofolli, t-O-folli , lik ein T-O-ronto

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Merrill is the obvious one to pull.  

Kulak and Edmundson are both playing better.  

It wouldn't change the pairings and would slide in a better skater/puck mover beside Weber.

I was going to disagree on this without checking the game logs for TOI and based on them I would take Kulak out. I thought Weber was playing managed minutes but he seems to be logging his usual share. Merrill is not matching Weber's minutes (probably due to PP time and the odd shift)

Kulak is playing well but not providing any offense, where Merrill seems to be playing well as a PK, shutdown D.

I would bring Romanov to take Kulak's place if it is to provide energy, speed, transition and physical play.

GAME 1

Petry    23:16
Weber    22:50
Edmundson    20:36
Chiarot    20:06
Merrill    13:21

Kulak    12:02

GAME 2

Edmundson    22:35
Petry    22:33
Weber   22:00
Chiarot  21:40
Merrill    15:28
Kulak    14:01

11 hours ago, Neech said:

Thinking of that coach's challenge - was it Bergy himself who made the call? ...

Well, MB very clearly thought it was interference ... and I recall thinking that the refs were slow about the faceoff ... so MB would have had time to "express his opinion" ... of course MB, DD et al would deny that he did, even if he did provide input, or instruct them to challenge the call

In My Opinion, Carey did not think it was interference ... Price is usually VERY demonstrative about instances of even vaguely possible interference, and did nothing on the ice ... and in the above presser he did nothing to support DD having called for the challenge ... there were options beyond "I haven't seen the replay" ...  

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

There is also an overall issue with NHL reffing ... the "bar" is low, or automatic, for some types of penalties (e.g., hooking, slashing), while other infractions must almost be life-threatening to get a call ... and they apparently have all but forgotten that there is a penalty for charging ... many non-calls for boarding are (IMO) very often blatant charges.

Without discussing the merits of the individual calls, I don't see merit in the "5 straight" or "one team got more penalties than the other" type complaints ... the goal should be to set a standard for each type of infraction and be consistent with it ... that rarely leads to any sort of balance in the number of calls.

IMO, a big problem last night was that the Leafs seemed to dominate possession and chasing opponents desperate to get back the puck often attracts the refs attention and makes the chaser look guiltier.

I was just rewatching some of the calls.

The Gallagher call was a glove to the face, after the whistle.  Calls after the whistle never get called unless over the top.  Gallagher's punch wasn't over the top at all, was a simple shot after the whistle.  That play NEVER gets called, but did last night.

Just after that penalty expires Leks gets called for a slash.  What was ignored was Foligno's stick in Lek's legs then arms for 5 seconds before that, which is an automatic hooking call anytime, then Leks slashes downwards towards someone else stick, no sticks were broken.  Thats called very very few times without a stick break.

Coach's challenge was next, which was a stupid coach's challenge, whoever called for it to be made, needs to shut up next game.

Weber's cross-check was absolutely a penalty, but what was ignored was the hit from behind from Engvall a few seconds before that, 5 feet from the ref who was watching the puck the Weber had.  Thats no excuse why it wasn't called, which if it was Toronto had possession so the play should of been stopped before Weber could of cross-checked Engvall.  Or it would of happened after the play which normally wouldn't be called but the reffing last night was stupid.

Let's goto the 3rd for the Simmonds and Chiarot co incidentals.  Simminds stright up gave Chiarot a right hook in front of the ref, and they were only both called because Chairot retaliated.  If Chiarot channeled his inner Mathews and laughed at Simmonds, there wouldn't of been a call.

There you go, 4 of the 7 penalties where one-sided or extremely weak at best against the Habs.  It's probably why Bergevin was fired up for that coaches challenge.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... Merrill seems to be playing well as a PK, shutdown D ...

Merrill played all of 35 seconds last night on the PK and was -1 (same as Kulak) ... bigger question in my mind is whether the Habs want to risk Romanov being able to get off the ice ... he was caught out for several LENGTHY shifts towards the end of the season

What is with all the complaining about the refs?

Always, only done by losing team's fans.

Wasnt what caused the loss and NO the Habs dont get worse treatment than any other team. 

(is systemically poor and inconsistent for ALL...or can call it bushleague.)

• Upvote 1

This was last nights forwards line up, some players looked out of breath and others disinterested (playing hurt?). Faceoffs were noticeable weak across the board:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Toffoli-Suzuki-Armia
Perry-Staal-Anderson

Byron-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen

If Evans can return and be effective in the faceoff dot, I would bring him in for Staal. But, if he is not ready, I wold do this:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Toffoli-Suzuki-Anderson
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Caufield

Perry-Staal-Byron

Without the speed of Evans, we cannot take Byron and Lehkonen out, and they are needed on the PK. Perry and Stall can play 4th line minutes Thorton-Spezza-Simonds as much as possible (slow-vs-slow). Byron can provide an edge on that matchup

That frees one spot for Caufield on the KK line. As long as they are kept away from the top line (Matthews) they should be able to have an impact in the game.

With Evans able to play, it becomes difficult for me to predict what the coaching staff will do. They seem to have certain matchups planned

42 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There is apparently a mystery angle that shows Thornton hit Price’s stick at the right time

Didn't know there was any question whether or not Thornton touched/hit/lifted Price's stick ... but rather whether or not doing so in any way prevented Price from trying to stop the puck ... as I said above, I don't think that Price thought so.

Shake it up and bring the speed..

Gally - Danault - Anderson

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield

Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Byron

Lehks - Evans - Perry