2021 PLAYOFFS GAME #2 - HABS VS LEAFS - MAY 22 @ 19:00 ET

illWill

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The good news from that period is that the Habs continued to play strong, physical, smart, heads-up hockey. We did not see the Leafs come out storming as I expected. And more importantly to my mind, other players stepped up besides the stars from last game. Gallagher and KK in particular.  

The bad news is that they look a bit wobblier in their own end and Price does not seem quite as dialed in.

Still a strong road period. Keep it up, les boys

I was thinking we were a little sharper this game. Sure loved that 1st goal. Glad it was kk

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

He's already been a strong defensive player in 2 of his 3 NHL seasons (his rookie year and this year).

I certainly agree, but I'm suggesting that he'd be even better defensively if he was slightly taller (i.e. have more reach) and heavier (more body to throw around).

Nice analysis by Hrudey - both of the Habs’ ferocious forecheck and of why the Spezza shot fooled Price. I still can’t believe how much better the first intermission is nowadays...

4 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I certainly agree, but I'm suggesting that he'd be even better defensively if he was slightly taller (i.e. have more reach) and heavier (more body to throw around).

He's 6'2" , Patrice Bergeron winner of 4 selkes, is 6'1. 

Size is not an issue. 

Maybe more size would help... or maybe the extra weight would make him a slower skater. 

The ifs and butts are  just 20/20 hindsight, cause the fact remains that if we took the player who was seen as the Best Player Available by the majority of analysts, it was Filip Zadina (not Tkachuk)

If we went best player available in my rankings it was Quinn Hughes.

That's the thing, we can say take the best player available, but survey 20 scouts and you are going to get 5 different names as to who is the best player available. 

You can't do this with hindsight.

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I was told he was completely useless and a bum.

Exact words were "go from playing like a complete bum", in the context of having been completely ineffecive for the better part of this season as per the earlier remarks in the thread.  If you're going to quote someone, get it exactly right.

Nice to see him putting it together so far tonight; been awhile since he showed that, and with Evans down it is much needed. 

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I find myself almost relieved by that goal...I had no appetite for a drawn-out stomach-churning attempt to protect that lead for 50 minutes

😆 Now that's funny!

3 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Exact words were "go from playing like a complete bum", in the context of having been completely ineffecive for the better part of this season as per the earlier remarks in the thread.  If you're going to quote someone, get it exactly right.

Nice to see him putting it together so far tonight; been awhile since he showed that, and with Evans down it is much needed. 

I liked Ducharme's positive comment about how kk had practiced. 

Feeling quite a bit better than anticipated after one game and one period. I especially like how we took the crowd out early...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I stand by my earlier point about Hyperbole.

And I'll stand by 5G in 56 games being horrid.  We'll never agree...whatever.  Not overly important in the grand scheme of things.

2 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

Feeling quite a bit better than anticipated after one game and one period. I especially like how we took the crowd out early...

I see that arena and I wonder to myself: there are no fans, but there are a fair number of people in the building (tv people, photogs, journalists, team support staff, arena techs, ect)....is there one concession stand up and running to feed them?  It would suck to have to bring a brown bag snack along, right?

5 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

Ya, the crowd made no noise when it was informed that it was time to do so.  

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

BTW you know who is quietly having a hella series? Lehkonen

I was thinking the same thing.  That was great hustle to beat out the icing.  Its too bad that didnt go anywhere and that the Leafs breakout led to Mathews goal.