2021 PLAYOFFS GAME #2 - HABS VS LEAFS - MAY 22 @ 19:00 ET

illWill

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The operative assumption for years has been that the refs shove the whistles up their asses in the playoffs.

Now, the one year the Habs actually have a team that is DESIGNED to play that kind of hockey, the refs decide to call everything against the Habs and let the Leafs play like its the playoffs. 🙄

That said, though, Weber should have known better.

Fixed that for yoi

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Even when it no longer matters, the Refs give Byron the extra penalty. Then on the next faceoff Simmonds cross checks Edmundson and they still won't call it.

Remember when the Habs were hot at the start of the year and the refs called penalties against them pretty much non stop?

I wonder if there is something about this group that the refs don’t like. Too chippy, too aggressive, don’t “play the right way,” whatever. They do not like these Montreal Canadiens.

EDIT: Friedman arguing that Romanov should be put in ahead of Caufield. That’s a point - the kid’s intensity and skating may prove to be of value. KK was brought nothing after a great first period, so if they yank him I won’t be moved to tears about it.

• Like 1

I was shocked in the regular season when Simmonds was tossed on his back by Edmundson and then again by Anderson in another game.  I thought for sure that would have led to a fight.  I'm sure Simmonds has not forgotten either of those incidents.  

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No frigging way do I take Lehkonen out. He has been a defensive beast.

I said last game we should subtract Tatar for Caulfield, but it will probably be Armia who sits. KK scored but he also had an utterly garbage second period, so perhaps the 3rd will tell the tale

Well that sucked!

Agreed about not taking out Lekhonan. You take out Stall. I know he is a centre. If evens is ready, you take out Stall and Tatar. Armia has been good. 

we need offence. Stall is not adding anything. Tatar ther is a faint glimmer he has a good playoff game like last year. We had an opportunity, with Tavares out to get a guy like Caufield in and kickstarting the PP and offence, while not having to worry about him being matched up with potentially two big lines.

Unfortunately we are stuck with stupid old school try not to lose thinking. Play the veterans, don’t tinker with a winning lineup unless there is an injury. DD may be a new dog, but unfortunately he is relying on old ways of thinking.

KK made mistakes, but got a goal, just as Sandin made blunder in the game winning goal in the first game, but has played well tonight.

The old farts - I mean veterans are the ones who cost us tonight. Stall has done squat - didn’t even get a shot and was on for a goal against. Weber took a dumb penalty and was also on for a goal against as well. But they are allowed to make mistakes because they are old me - sorry meant veterans🙄

It doesn’t help that Gallagher doesn’t look back to normal. 

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Remember when the Habs were hot at the start of the year and the refs called penalties against them pretty much non stop?

I wonder if there is something about this group that the refs don’t like. Too chippy, too aggressive, don’t “play the right way,” whatever. They do not like these Montreal Canadiens.

EDIT: Friedman arguing that Romanov should be put in ahead of Caufield. That’s a point - the kid’s intensity and skating may prove to be of value. KK was brought nothing after a great first period, so if they yank him I won’t be moved to tears about it.

KK was better than Staal tonight, even if we only look at the 2nd and 3rd. 

As for Romanov or Caufield... I'd bring in both.  Merrill and Perry can sit for them.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

KK was better than Staal tonight, even if we only look at the 2nd and 3rd. 

As for Romanov or Caufield... I'd bring in both.

Yeah, you’re right, Staal should exit before KK does.

I thought Merrill played reasonably well tonight...is he the guy we yank for Romanov?

It will be a test for DD. He won his “go with the vets” gamble in Game One. He lost the same gamble in Game Two. Is he nimble enough to adjust, or will be be one of those stubborn guys who sticks with Da Plan even as it transparently fails? I think he will adjust, but we won’t know for sure until it happens.

It sucks that they lost, but in a way its good.  After winning this game the Leafs still believe they are in control of the series and have no chance of losing it.   Its good for the Habs if the Leafs  think that for as long as possible.  If not for bad reffing this series has been fairly even.

The reality is the Habs are the lower seeded team and are on the road so winning just 1 of those games is significant.  i.e. they only get 3 home games so they must win 1 on the road.   By no means is this series over, and it'll be huge if the Habs can win both of their home games.  

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t know why you can’t have both? Romanov would replace Merrill or Chariot. There are a number of players that Caufield could replace - Stall, Tatar, Perry.

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, you’re right, Staal should exit before KK does.

I thought Merrill played reasonably well tonight...is he the guy we yank for Romanov?

It will be a test for DD. He won his “go with the vets” gamble in Game One. He lost the same gamble in Game Two. Is he nimble enough to adjust, or will be be one of those stubborn guys who sticks with Da Plan even as it transparently fails? I think he will adjust, but we won’t know for sure until it happens.

Merrill is the obvious one to pull.  

Kulak and Edmundson are both playing better.  

It wouldn't change the pairings and would slide in a better skater/puck mover beside Weber.

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

KK was brought nothing after a great first period, so if they yank him I won’t be moved to tears about it.

5-on-5 shots were 6-2 for the Habs with Kotkaniemi on the ice (Tatar and Edmundson were the only others with a positive edge on shots).

Kotkaniemi was 6-5 on faceoffs. Staal was 2-4, Suzuki was 3-10 and Danault 6-15.

And the advanced stats also agree with that. Yes, a poor penalty but that did not lose the game for the Habs.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Merrill is the obvious one to pull.  

Kulak and Edmundson are both playing better.  

It wouldn't change the pairings and would slide in a better skater/puck mover beside Weber.

Pull Merrill and lehkonen or Armia put in Romanov and caufeild. It will put in speed and skill on both ends of the ice. 

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Pull Merrill and lehkonen or Armia put in Romanov and caufeild. It will put in speed and skill on both ends of the ice. 

Pull Lehkonen, to get speed? Seriously? The guy who is able to outhustle the Leafs' D to prevent an icing call? Not to mention the penalty-killing he has been doing for the last two games.

Y’know, thinking about this game more cooly, it seems to me that we were - at least arguably - the better team until the parade of penalties started. Even when it was 2-1, I remember thinking we had the edge in the play overall. 

These guys need to regroup and get back to that.

I don’t pull Perry - he is too important - but there is no particular reason other than stubbornness to leave Staal in.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Y’know, thinking about this game more cooly, it seems to me that we were - at least arguably - the better team until the parade of penalties started. Even when it was 2-1, I remember thinking we had the edge in the play overall. 

These guys need to regroup and get back to that.

I don’t pull Perry - he is too important - but there is no particular reason other than stubbornness to leave Staal in.

I have one reason.... You leave Staal in if Evans is not ready.  Byron is not good at C, and Poehling is also hurt, so there is no C to replace Staal if Evans can't come into the lineup.

If you leave Perry in, the next choice is Armia. 

I know some are saying Tatar, but I give that line time to get going with Gallagher.  Gallagher showed me much more in game two and while he's not 100% yet, he's getting closer.  When Gallagher is really going, that line just compliments each other so well. 

Leafs made changes like eliminating Anderson via Simmonds. They outplayed and outhit and out worked us for two periods. 

We had only a couple of players that outplayed their leaf counterparts. Add a ridiculous amount of penalties and we stand no chance. 

Staal is dead weight. He can pass and he still uses positioning but he does not hit or get dirty at all. 

When Evans returns, sit Staal for kK

I really dug this line and I hope to see it again 

Armia - Suzuki - Caufield 

Always liker when the 4th line center is the cause of all the problems, 

4th line center isn't the problem, top 9 is 

tafolli suzuki caufield

you need offence to beat the leafs, a goal a game wont cut it

14 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

It's not that the Habs penalties aren't penalties. It's the Leafs infractions which are being ignored. I agree.

There is also an overall issue with NHL reffing ... the "bar" is low, or automatic, for some types of penalties (e.g., hooking, slashing), while other infractions must almost be life-threatening to get a call ... and they apparently have all but forgotten that there is a penalty for charging ... many non-calls for boarding are (IMO) very often blatant charges.

14 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

5 straight PP’s in the playoffs ...

Without discussing the merits of the individual calls, I don't see merit in the "5 straight" or "one team got more penalties than the other" type complaints ... the goal should be to set a standard for each type of infraction and be consistent with it ... that rarely leads to any sort of balance in the number of calls.

IMO, a big problem last night was that the Leafs seemed to dominate possession and chasing opponents desperate to get back the puck often attracts the refs attention and makes the chaser look guiltier.